Connect with us

EVENTS

50 foreigners from neighbouring African countries, some of them children, have been rescued by the police in Lagos State.

Published

on

Spread the love

 

The rescued persons, all foreigners, were kept in a duplex on Omola Road, in the Edemola area of Epe, Lagos, by a gang of job scammers.

The foreigners, who are citizens of Cameroon and Gabon, were take to the Okeoyibo Police Division after they were rescued.

According to the police, investigation revealed that they were deceived by the ring leaders of a Cameroonian job scam gang that there were job opportunities in Nigeria.

The victims paid an unspecified amount to the fraudsters hoping to secure jobs in Nigeria.

Some of the victims reportedly told policemen that they sold their valuables, including houses, back home, to raise money for the journey to Nigeria, for the promised jobs.

 

On arrival, they were reportedly kept in the duplex with a stern warning not to step outside until they got the promised jobs.

It was discovered that some of them had been in the building for six months.

The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Benjamin Hudenyin, said that 34 persons were rescued. He added that the main suspect has fled to Cameroon.

Hundeyin said: “They are not kidnapped victims, they were deceived by some Cameroonians that there were jobs in Nigeria, only to be stranded because they have expended all their money. All of them have been taken to the police station.

“The ring leader is on the run. He gave all of them the same arrival date and when they arrived, he collected their money from them, asked them to stay in that room and left with a promise to be back, only to abandon them and go back to Cameroon.”

EVENTS

Scavenger dies, three hospitalised as military grenade explodes in Lagos

Published

on

Spread the love

A yet-to-be-identified scavenger has been killed after a military-grade grenade exploded at Idi-Araba in the Mushin area of Lagos State.

Ekwutosblog learnt that three other persons were injured in the incident, which occurred on Thursday.

It was gathered that some scavengers in a metal scrap yard were attempting to dismantle one of the grenades in their possession.

The device, however denoted in the process, killing one of them on the spot while three others sustained severe injuries.

A resident, Akin Olawale, told our correspondent on Friday that the explosion which occurred in the afternoon also resulted in panic among residents.

He said, “A sound of explosion was heard around past 12 pm and the police were immediately contacted because no one could ascertain the cause. It was later when the police arrived that we discovered that it was a grenade. The scavengers were trying to cut one of them open when it detonated.”

Two undetonated grenades were said to have been found after security operatives arrived at the spot.

Another resident, who does not want his name mentioned, citing security reasons said the injured persons were taken to the hospital.

“We saw a vehicle moving some injured persons to the hospital and that was when we knew what happened. Those people we saw were terribly injured. It was when the vehicle stopped by a filling station that we saw them. The driver could not even wait because of the queue,” the resident disclosed.

When contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed the incident, adding the Explosive and Ordinance Department of the command has rendered the place safe.

He said, “The explosion was caused by a military-grade grenade. One person was killed and three were hospitalised. The incident happened at about 1:30pm and the Explosive and Ordinance Department has rendered the place safe.

“The scene of the incident has also been cordoned off. There is a zero possibility of another explosion and investigation has commenced.”

Continue Reading

EVENTS

Adeyanju Commends AIG Gumel for Stance Against Emergency Declaration in Rivers State Amidst Persecution by IGP Egbetokun, Says Nigeria Need Courageous Men Like Him

Published

on

Spread the love

Human rights lawyer Deji Adeyanju has praised Assistant Inspector General of Police Usaini Gumel for his principled opposition to the recent illegal declaration of a state of emergency in Rivers State. In a statement released to journalists, Adeyanju lauded Gumel’s integrity and courage during a time when such values are often compromised.

Gumel’s willingness to publicly criticize this unconstitutional action, despite the sensitive nature of his position, serves as a beacon of hope for Nigeria, according to Adeyanju. “If more individuals like Gumel rise to speak out against the erosion of our democratic principles, there remains hope for a brighter future for Nigeria,” he stated.

However, the human rights lawyer expressed concern over the swift action taken by Inspector General of Police Kayode Egbetokun, who transferred Gumel to the Community Policing, Research, and Planning department. This transfer reportedly followed Gumel’s candid remarks about the state of emergency and the suspension of Governor Sim Fubara, raising questions about the integrity of the police force and the message it sends to those who challenge unlawful practices.

Adeyanju noted that Gumel’s comments were made informally among colleagues, and a breach of trust led to this unjust transfer, highlighting the urgent need for a supportive culture among those dedicated to justice.

He called on other courageous Nigerians, particularly those in positions of authority, to emulate Gumel’s example. “It is important that we collectively condemn acts of lawlessness and uphold our constitutional rights,” Adeyanju urged, emphasizing the importance of solidarity in the fight for justice and the preservation of democracy in Nigeria.

Continue Reading

EVENTS

National police week: Imo CP engages stakeholders on security partnership

Published

on

Spread the love

The Imo State Police Command has advocated the need for stakeholders to continue engaging relevant agencies with a view to strengthening the fight against criminal activities in the State.

The call was made by the State Police Commissioner, Aboki Dajuma during a security meeting with stakeholders in marking the 2025 National Police Week.

The event, with the theme “Strengthening Collaborative Security Efforts for a Safer Imo State,” was aimed at enhancing collaboration between security agencies and the public in ensuring public peace.

Key stakeholders across the State, including Traditional Rulers, Heads of Security Agencies in the State, representatives of Religious Leaders and other relevant bodies were in attendance.

The Commissioner of Police emphasized the importance of synergy among security agencies, highlighting recent successes such as dismantling sit-at-home threats, arresting over 2,000 suspects, recovering 65 firearms, 15 stolen vehicles, and rescuing 12 kidnapped victims.

He also acknowledged the support of Governor Hope Uzodinma, who he said has been instrumental in the achievements recorded so far.

In his remark, Gen. Joseph Ogbonna, rtd, representing the Governor, commended the police and other security agencies for their role in restoring peace to troubled areas in the State.

He reaffirmed the Government’s commitment to supporting security agencies and stressed the importance of continued collaboration to ensure lasting peace across the State.

Presentations at the meeting focused on community policing and intelligence-sharing, with the common phrase, “See Something, Say Something”, as an effective tool for community policing.

 

Speakers emphasized the crucial role of citizens in supporting the police and enhancing security.

Continue Reading

Trending