Trending
Hurricane Milton: Cleanup underway in Florida, several dead

Published
6 months agoon
By
Ekwutos Blog
Milton unleashed wind, flooding and heavy rain, with flash flood warnings still in place. The storm made landfall as a Category 3 storm, and was downgraded to Category 1 as it moved east over Florida.
Florida Governor De Santis says Milton damage ‘not worse case scenario’ warns of more flooding Hurricane Milton made landfall along Florida’s Gulf Coast as a Category 3 storm The hurricane has left millions of people without electricity The storm was later downgraded to a Category 1 hurricane as it made its way east across Florida
Florida Governor De Santis says Milton damage ‘not the worst-case scenario’
Florida Governor Ron De Santis said early on Thursday that the state had been spared “the worst-case scenario” as Hurricane Milton crossed overnight.
“We had over 80,000 people that went into shelters overnight as the storm hit the state,” De Santis said.
He said that while the storm was significant, preliminary indications did not suggest damage on the extent feared before it made landfall.
“We will better understand the extent of the damage as the day progresses,” De Santis said.
“What we can say is: the storm was significant, but thankfully, this was not the worst-case scenario. The storm did weaken before landfall, and the storm surge as initially reported has not been as significant overall as what was observed for Hurricane Helene.”
He said the most serious storm surge reported, likely in the region of 8-10 feet (roughly 2.45 meters to 3.05 meters) in Sarasota County on the western coast to the Gulf of Mexico, compared to figures roughly double that in the worst-hit places during Hurricane Helene.
Water levels in Florida were forecast to continue rising, he said, with flooding a potential risk not just now but in the coming days as a result. De Santis said flooding occurred on both the west and east coasts of the state overnight.
Milton moved east-northeast across the state and its eye was over the Atlantic Ocean rather than land by Thursday morning. It is currently projected to continue moving out to sea. But high wind speeds and heavy rains persisted in places in its wake.
Milton reaches Atlantic maintaining hurricane-force winds
A weakened but still powerful Hurricane Milton has completed its path across Florida, entering the Atlantic Ocean as a Category 1 storm.
US emergency services have warned that the remnants of Milton would continue to bring heavy rains, flash floods, and highly destructive winds to the southern US state throughout the day.
“This rainfall will continue to bring the risk of catastrophic and life-threatening flash and urban flooding, along with moderate to major river flooding,” the National Hurricane Center said.
Rescue crews and government officials said that the full toll of the storm’s destruction could not be estimated until day breaks in the eastern United States.
More than 3 million without power
Hurricane Milton has knocked out power across a large section of Florida, with more than 3 million homes and businesses without power as of early Thursday, according to utility report tracking website poweroutage.us.
More than 97% of homes in Hardee County were reported as not having electricity, with Hillsborough, Manatee and Sarasota counties also particularly hard-hit.
NHC: Milton is now Category 1 hurricane
Early on Thursday, the US National Hurricane Center (NHC) said Milton had become a Category 1 hurricane.
The downgrade came several hours after the storm made landfall as a Category 3.
Hurricanes typically lose steam after hitting land.
On Sunday and Monday, scientists were left stunned when the storm rapidly developed from a Category 1 to 5 within a matter of hours.
Despite the downgrade, winds were still extremely strong at 90 mph (150 kph) as the storm made its way towards Cape Canaveral on Florida’s east coast.
In pictures: Milton’s destruction
Hurricane Milton damaged homes and property as it crossed Florida in the early hours of Thursday.
Roof torn off Tropicana Field
The home of the Tampa Bay Rays baseball team lost its roof late on Wednesday.
https://x.com/JasonAdamsWFTS/status/1844211275439784196?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1844211275439784196%7Ctwgr%5E9ca2f10e93f138ef7f7b65bf74e1fb1b00d3a455%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dw.com%2Fen%2Fhurricane-milton-cleanup-underway-in-florida-several-dead%2Flive-70449315
According to the Tampa Bay Times, the multipurpose stadium was being used as a staging area for National Guardsmen and electrical workers.
An NBA preseason game scheduled to take place in the arena later this week has been canceled, and the Tampa Bay Lightning hockey team’s home opener was likely to be moved to another location.
“There’s always things bigger than the game of basketball,” said Orlando Magic coach Jamahl Mosley, whose team had been due to play against the New Orleans Pelicans at Tropicana on Friday.
Milton weakens to Category 2 hurricane
According to the US National Hurricane Center, Milton had weakened to a Category 2 hurricane after making landfall.
It was still packing maximum sustained winds of 110 mph (175 kph).
The National Weather Service warned it would continue to bring “devastating rains and damaging winds” across the central Florida peninsula throughout Thursday.
After passing Florida, the storm is expected to weaken over the western Atlantic, possibly dropping below hurricane strength on Thursday night. Nonetheless, it will still pose a storm-surge danger on the state’s Atlantic coast.
First fatalities reported in Florida
Hurricane Milton has reportedly claimed its first victims in St. Lucie County on the east coast of Florida, officials have told media including local West Palm Beach outlet WPTV, the BBC and CNN.
Local Sheriff Keith Pearson confirmed “multiple fatalities” at a seniors’ country club near Fort Pierce, saying police officers were using bulldozers and other equipment “to recover anyone we can, provide any help that we can.”
“It’s devastating, no words can describe it,” he said.
Exact details remain unclear, but Pearson said the county had been hit by “multiple tornadoes” that sprung up before the hurricane’s arrival. The Sheriff’s office itself was reportedly also damaged.
“With a tornado, you don’t know [where it will strike],” he said. “It’s like having a bomb dropped at any place and any time.”
He warned residents that it’s now too late to evacuate, saying: “If you’re home, stay at home. Don’t make us come out here for you.”
St. Lucie County is on Florida’s eastern Atlantic coast, about 140 miles east of Sarasota, where Hurricane Milton made landfall.
Biden speaks with Florida officials
US President Joe Biden held a telephone call with Florida officials on Wednesday in the hours before Hurricane Milton made landfall in Sarasota.
According to a White House readout, he “emphasized that he will be with them and their communities before, during, and after the storm – no matter how long it takes.”
Local officials on the call included Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer, Sarasota Mayor Liz Alpert, and US Representatives Gus Bilirakis and Kathy Castor.
President Biden “told each of these leaders to call him directly if they need additional assistance on rescue, response, and recovery efforts,” said the White House.
“Throughout the afternoon, the President has been receiving regular briefings on Hurricane Milton’s latest trajectory and expected impacts to the State of Florida.
“He will continue to receive updates from his team throughout the night as the storm moves across the peninsula.”
‘Life-threatening’ flash-flood warnings in Tampa Bay area
Authorities in Tampa, St. Petersburg and Clearwater have issued severe flash-flood warnings for nearly two million people.
“Flash flooding is ongoing or expected to begin shortly,” the Tampa National Weather Service (NWS) cautioned, reporting “between 6 and 12 inches (15-30 centimeters)” of rain in the last hours.
It warned of “life-threatening flash flooding of creeks and streams, urban areas, highways, streets and underpasses.”
Over 1 million people without power in Florida
An unprecedented number of power cuts have already left over 1.1 million homes and businesses in Florida without electricity after Hurricane Milton made landfall.
The most significant outages are in Sarasota County, where Milton made landfall around 8:30 p.m. local time.
The number of power cuts is set to rise as the storm moves inland and across the state.
Taylor Swift, Dolly Parton and others donate to hurricane relief
Taylor Swift has donated millions of dollars to charity and several top US country musicians have announced a benefit concert – all aimed at supporting people across the southern United States affected by Hurricane Helene two weeks ago and who are now set to be hit by Hurricane Milton.
Pop superstar Swift gave $5 million (€4.57m) to the nonprofit group Feeding America to assist in the storms’ aftermath, according to a social media post from the group.
“Thank you, Taylor, for standing with us in the movement to end hunger and helping communities in need,” said CEO Claire Babineaux-Fontenot in a statement.
Elsewhere, country stars Keith Urban, Luke Combs and Eric Church top the bill for a “Concert for Carolina” scheduled for October 26 for the benefit of the regions worst hit by Helene.
Among other efforts, country singer Morgan Wallen donated $500,000 to the American Red Cross for hurricane relief and was spotted helping to collect supplies in Knoxville, Tennessee on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, country legend Dolly Parton donated $1 million of her personal funds to a Tennessee nonprofit. “These are my people and this is my home,” Parton told a crowd in Newport, Tennessee. “I am with you because I am part of you.”
Hurricane Milton hits near Siesta Key Florida
Hurricane Milton has made landfall near Siesta Key, Florida, the US National Hurricane Center (NHC) has said.
It was located about 115 miles (185 km) southwest of Orlando Florida, with maximum sustained winds of 120 mph (205 kph).
“Data indicate the eye of Hurricane Milton has made landfall near Siesta Key in Sarasota County along the west coast of Florida,” the NHC said.
The category 3 storm has been expected to maintain hurricane strength as it has crossed the Florida peninsula. It has posed storm-surge danger on the state’s Atlantic coast as well.
The storm has been able to bring a surge of seawater as high as nine to 13 feet (2.7 to 4 meters) in some areas and has dumped six to 12 inches (150 to 300 mm) of rain, with as much as 18 inches (450 mm) possible in spots.
Governor DeSantis urges residents to ‘hunker down’
“This storm is here,” Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has warned residents in his latest briefing.
He has said it is no longer safe for people to evacuate from Florida.
“At this point, it is too dangerous to evacuate safely, so you have to hunker down.”
Flooding reported on Florida west coast
Local authorities are reporting major flooding in the cities of Naples and Fort Myers on the west coast of Florida as Hurricane Milton edges closer to land.
In Naples, Milton’s storm surge has already caused water levels to rise 3.7 feet (1.13 meters) above normally dry ground.
Just up the coast in Fort Myers, water levels are also up by nearly 3 feet.
Further north, more than three inches (7.62cm) of rain have been reported in just three hours in parts of the Tampa Bay area.
You may like
Tinubu approves N20bn fund for NASRDA
Nnamdi Kanu slams Igbo political leaders for neglect
Plea bargain unfair in criminal justice system – Group
Children are turning to ChatGPT over their PARENTS for life advice
EU mulls countermeasures to new US tariffs
You traveled to France while Nigerians suffer insecurity, hunger – Bode George knocks Tinubu
Trending
Tinubu approves N20bn fund for NASRDA

Published
7 minutes agoon
April 3, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
The National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA) is set to commence the implementation of its space regulation and licensing mandate with N20 billion take-off fund approved by President Bola Tinubu.
The Director-General of NASRDA, Dr Matthew Adepoju, said this on Thursday in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja.
Adepoju said the regulatory function of the agency as encapsulated in NASDRA Act (2010) had remained unfulfilled since its establishment in 1999.
He spoke against the background of NASRDA stakeholders’ workshop on space regulation scheduled for April 8.
He said on assumption of office he raised a memo to President Bola Tinubu on the need to enforce the regulatory functions of NASDRA.
According to him, this is in line with the provisions of Section 6 and 9 of the laws establishing it, adding that Tinubu eventually approved the take-off fund.
“When I raised that memo stating that our space can no longer be unregulated, Mr President graciously approved the take-off fund of N20 billion few months ago.
“This is to enable us to commence the space regulation and spectrum management in Nigeria.”
Adepoju said the agency was yet to access the N20 billion, adding that release of funds was always subject to its availability.
“Within the framework of what is possible for us to do now, we’ve set up the platform and we are commencing our regulatory and licensing functions.”
He explained that the space sector had three segments, the upstream, midstream and downstream.
Adepoju said the platform for the licensing was ready and open to both public and private sector operators in the space arena.
The licensing, he said, was available for people using and providing space products and services.
He emphasised the need for strict oversight of satellite image providers, geographic information system operators, satellite-based telecommunication and broadcasting services, among others.
He also said that if unregulated, geographical data intelligence could be exploited by non-state actors for illicit activities.
The Director-General further told NAN that the initiative would enhance national security, economic diversification and local content development.
He said it would also generate revenue from sub-sectors such as oil and gas, shipping and telecommunications relied on space products for their operations.
Trending
Plea bargain unfair in criminal justice system – Group

Published
21 minutes agoon
April 3, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
A Non Governmental Organisation (NGO), CLEEN Foundation, has lamented the unfairness of plea bargain and its implementation process in the country.
Mr Peter Maduoma, Ag. Executive Director of the organisation, spoke during a media parley with newsmen at the CLEEN Foundation Hall, Innocent Chukwuma House, Ojodu, Ikeja on Wednesday.
Maduoma said that it had become necessary for that section of plea bargain, as contained in the Administration of Criminal Justice Law (ACJL), to be amended and changed for proper justice to be delivered accordingly.
“The plea bargain is very unfair and it is one of the weaknesses I see in the ACJL.
“A situation where somebody has stolen N50 billion and then, through plea bargain, is ordered to pay a certain amount and then after that, the matter is settled.
“This is very unfair and I will like the media to continue to publicise and write on the unfairness of that section of the law until it is amended and changed.
“A law cannot be cast in stone; So, we need to continue to improve on it but that aspect of the ACJL has not yielded much benefit to anybody,” the director said.
Maduoma said that the plea bargain was mostly exploited by security agencies and especially politically exposed people, who after embezzling money, settle to pay back a meagre amount as settlement.
“Thereafter, all charges will be dropped against them; however, what that money would have done and the lives that had been affected negatively by such act, is not replicable.
“Once a crime is committed, it beholds on the state to ensure that justice is served.
“However, what we have clearly happening is that at the point of investigation, they quickly introduce plea bargaining as alternative to that person going through the justice route.
“So, once this happens, it offers that person some level of safe guard and that safe guard means that he no longer gets to be entirely processed through the court”.
Hashim said that plea bargain was actually not being implemented in the actual sense as the law had stipulated it.
He said that no matter what the plea bargain arrangements were, it was actually made to be an arrangement that offered a speedier process for justice to be served.
“But they cut off the aspect that borders around punishment and at the end of the day, make it a win-win for both the perpetrator and the state.
“This is actually the consequence for the poor nature of conceiving the law and how we have also implemented it,” Hashim said.
(NAN)
Trending
Delta police arrest father, second wife over death of three sisters

Published
2 hours agoon
April 3, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
Delta State police command has arrested a man and his second wife over the death of three sisters in Delta State.
The three sisters of the same parents have reportedly died while on a visit to their father’s residence at the Delta Steel Company, DSC, Township, Oruhworun, Udu local government area of Delta state.
Reports said that the sisters live apart from their father who remarried after the death of their mother but occasionally pay visits from time to time.
“The incident has sent shock-waves through the community, especially as it comes less than a year after the death of their biological mother.
“Their father remarried shortly after their mother passed on, with the stepmother reportedly being a close friend of the late woman (their mother),” a source said.
Ekwutosblog learnt that the sisters allegedly returned from a birthday party the previous day to their father’s DSC residence only to be found foaming at the mouth the next day.
Delta State Police Public Relations Officer, (PPRO), Edafe Bright, confirmed the incident, saying, “We are treating this as a suspicious death and are exploring all angles.
“The public will be updated as we make progress.”
In a related development, two Tiv boys from Benue state have been arrested in connection with the alleged killing of yet-to-be-identified Engineer contracted to construct offices at Akwukwu-Igbo, the headquarters of Oshimili North local government area in Delta state
According to sources, the incident occurred in December 2024, but details only emerged recently after two suspects were arrested in connection with the crime, while the cause of the dastardly act remained unknown.
Community source revealed that “the suspects, identified as Tiv youths from Benue state, allegedly killed the Engineer and concealed his body in a shallow grave inside a farm.
Also, Edafe confirmed that the body has been exhumed.
“We are aware of the incident and our men are working to ensure others involved are apprehended,” he assured.

Tinubu approves N20bn fund for NASRDA

Nnamdi Kanu slams Igbo political leaders for neglect

Plea bargain unfair in criminal justice system – Group
Trending
- Trending5 months ago
NYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
- Business5 months ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
- Politics5 months ago
Mexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
- Politics5 months ago
Russia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
- Politics5 months ago
Putin invites 20 world leaders
- Politics1 year ago
Nigerian Senate passes Bill seeking the establishment of the South East Development Commission.