Politics
LG polls: Work for our party victory – Abiodun tells APC candidates

Published
5 months agoon
By
Ekwutos Blog
… says our scorecard will give massive victory to APC candidates
By James Ogunnaike, Abeokuta
The Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun, has urged the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidates in the forthcoming local government elections in the state to go all out and ensure massive victory for the party.
According to him, the APC has bragging rights going into the election, having delivered electoral promises to the fullest, and would win hands down.
Noting that the APC administration had democratised governance and infrastructure and brought government closer to the people, Governor Abiodun said APC is the party to beat in the elections, expressing confidence that the party will win the chairmanship and councillorship posts in all the 20 local governments in the state.
He stated that the people of Ogun State appreciate what the government has done for them, as no community had been left out of development in the state, saying that Ogun residents appreciate having a listening government that has engendered peace and stability.
Governor Abiodun, who is the leader of the party in the state, spoke during a meeting on Friday with the 20 chairmanship, 20 vice-chairmanship, 236 councilorship candidates and the 20 local government party chairmen of the ruling party.
He said that it was important that harmony exists among the ranks and file of the party in the state.
He said: “I want to be sure that you have met with other contestants and reconcile with them in the spirit of appreciation and reconciliation.
“It is important that we don’t leave any room for bickering, animosity, or for anyone to go into this election in any local government and attempt to polarize the party along the lines of those who didn’t emerge. It is important that we ensure that there is perfect harmony in each local government.”
The governor, while reminding the gathering that the process that led to their emergence was very meticulous, intentional, and deliberate, added that none of the candidates emerged by accident.
“There is none of you that has emerged by accident because in the election of the local government, I will not allow us to place the local government in the hands of anyone who will be an accidental council chairman.
Related News
“So, I am taking this local government election extremely seriously. I am not leaving anything to chance, and that is why I have been particularly concerned and involved in ensuring that we identify those who are the right fit for our local governments,” he said.
Governor Abiodun reiterated the importance of the election in the quest to develop the grassroots, and urged the candidates, whom he described as the closest to the people, to know the ‘ISEYA’ mantra of his administration by heart and ensure that they replicate and implement the vision.
“It is important that we have some sort of uniformity in our campaigns so that the campaigns in Ijebu-North, Abeokuta-South, Ipokia, and Ado-Odo-Ota are very similar.
Prince Abiodun disclosed that his administration would soon embark on the groundbreaking of the deep sea port, naval base, and dockyard in Ogun Waterside Local Government area of the state.
“Very soon, we will begin the groundbreaking of our deep sea port in Ogun Waterside, the naval base, and dockyard in Ogun Waterside,” he added.
He noted that he has been fair in the distribution of dividends of democracy across the twenty local government areas of the state, adding that over 700 kilometers of road and over 4,000 housing units have been constructed across the state.
According to the Governor, over 120 Primary Health Care Centers and 1000 classrooms have been rehabilitated by his administration, adding that more rehabilitation work has commenced.
Acknowledging the current hard times, the Governor said that the policies embarked upon by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu would pay off for all at the end of the day, adding that the sale of rice to public servants and pensioners at a discounted price of N40,000, among other incentives, are some of the ways the government try ameliorate the hardship.
Earlier in his welcome address, the party Chairman, Chief Yemi Sanusi, disclosed that the strength of the party must be entrenched, adding that the candidates must go all out to campaign and ensure they come out victorious.
You may like
Tinubu approves N20bn fund for NASRDA
Nnamdi Kanu slams Igbo political leaders for neglect
Plea bargain unfair in criminal justice system – Group
Children are turning to ChatGPT over their PARENTS for life advice
EU mulls countermeasures to new US tariffs
You traveled to France while Nigerians suffer insecurity, hunger – Bode George knocks Tinubu
Politics
Nnamdi Kanu slams Igbo political leaders for neglect

Published
16 minutes agoon
April 3, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
The President-General of the Igbo Community Association (ICA), FCT, Engr. Ikenna Ellis-Ezenekwe, has disclosed that Nnamdi Kanu remains optimistic about securing his release from the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS) by April 2025.
Following a visit to the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) at the DSS headquarters in Abuja, Ezenekwe issued a statement in which he revealed Kanu’s deep disappointment over the absence of strong Igbo leadership.
He lamented that many prominent figures in the region had failed to advocate for the interests of their people.
Despite spending years in detention, Kanu reportedly appeared healthy, had gained weight, and remained in high spirits. He reaffirmed his confidence in his legal team and expressed hope that the courts would grant him freedom in the coming weeks.
However, Kanu criticized Igbo political leaders for their inaction, stressing that the region was suffering due to a lack of vocal and influential advocates.
He also reflected on the historical neglect of Igbo freedom fighters, citing the case of Ralph Uwazurike, who, despite his initial efforts in the struggle for self-determination, was abandoned by his people during his imprisonment. According to Kanu, such repeated betrayals only serve to weaken the fight for the region’s future.
Ezenekwe further conveyed Kanu’s call for a referendum, describing it as a necessary step toward self-determination.
He maintained that Kanu believes he has committed no crime other than urging his people to awaken and demand their rights.
In his statement, Ezenekwe directly appealed to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, urging him to intervene in Kanu’s case. He reminded the president of his past role in the pro-democracy movement and called on him to demonstrate the political will to ensure Kanu’s release, arguing that his prolonged detention symbolizes political repression rather than justice.
The statement reads in part: “At the DSS headquarters in Abuja, I had the honor of visiting Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB). Our meeting served as a vital reminder of our shared struggle for recognition, justice, and the advancement of Igbo interests.
“During our discussion, Nnamdi Kanu, appearing healthier and more composed, reaffirmed his resilience despite his current circumstances. He expressed deep frustration over the lack of strong Igbo leadership, a void that has allowed the voice of the region to fade at a critical moment.
“He reflected on the abandonment of past freedom fighters, particularly Ralph Uwazurike, and warned that such neglect threatens the collective struggle for self-determination.
“At the peak of our conversation, Kanu passionately reiterated his call for a referendum, emphasizing that this is the only legitimate path forward. He maintained that he has committed no offense other than urging our people to rise from their slumber.
“His unwavering confidence in his legal team and his hope for release by the end of April 2025 stand as a testament to his dedication and fortitude.
“As our meeting drew to a close, I was moved by his resilience. Despite years of incarceration, his spirit remains unbroken. His message to the Igbo community was clear: we must never forsake those who have sacrificed for our liberation.
“In light of this encounter, I issue an earnest appeal to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu. I call on him to embrace the spirit of democracy and justice that once defined his own struggles and take decisive action to secure the freedom of our brother and hero, Nnamdi Kanu.
“Let this moment serve as a turning point—a renewed commitment to safeguarding the rights, dignity, and future of the Igbo people.”
Politics
You traveled to France while Nigerians suffer insecurity, hunger – Bode George knocks Tinubu

Published
56 minutes agoon
April 3, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Bode George has accused President Bola Tinubu of travelling to France when Nigeria is experiencing series of insecurity crisis.
George said it was shameful that while Nigerians don’t feel safe anymore, Tinubu’s administration was focused on trivial matters like recalling suspended Kogi Central Senator, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.
The former Deputy National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, disclosed this in a statement he signed, titled: ‘Whither Nigeria, my beloved country.’
He said, “Today, and with the series of crises, insecurity, hunger, joblessness and other vices in the country, President Bola Tinubu has taken off to Paris, France for reasons best known to him and his handlers.
“Nigerians don’t feel safe anymore in their fatherland, but the Federal Government, All Progressives Congress (APC) and the Senate are only interested in recalling Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan. What a shame!
“Aside from the fact that history is a faithful record of the past, it is also a prophecy of what is coming. That is why Fela’s song is still apt, decades after. Today, I see what led to the collapse of the First and Second republics being repeated by the APC-led Federal Government.”
On Wednesday, President Tinubu jetted out of Nigeria to France.
Tinubu’s spokesman, Bayo Onanuga said the president is expected to “return to Nigeria in about a fortnight”.
Politics
Trump signs order ending duty-free treatment for cheap shipments from China

Published
3 hours agoon
April 3, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
President Donald Trump of the United States on Wednesday signed an executive order that closes a trade loophole known as “de minimus” that has allowed low-value packages from China and Hong Kong to enter the United States free of duties.
Trump signed the order, which takes effect at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time May 2, in the Rose Garden of the White House after announcing sweeping new tariffs on global trading partners.
According to the the White House, the move came after Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick certified adequate systems are in place to collect tariff revenue” on the shipments.
The White House said that imported goods from China and Hong Kong sent outside the international postal network and valued at or under $800 would now be subject to all applicable duties.
It added that Imported goods sent through the postal network and valued at or under $800 would now be subject to a duty rate of either 30% of their value or $25 per item, with that rate increasing to $50 per item after June 1.
Recall that Trump had signed an initial order on February 1 ending duty-free entry for the cheap Chinese goods, but later paused the order because of logistical issues complicating the inspection of millions of the low-value shipments.
Ekwutosblog reports that the number of shipments entering the US through the duty-free route has exploded in recent years, reaching nearly 1.4 billion packages last year.
Trump campaigned on a promise to punish China for the role it has played in the synthetic opioid crisis that has killed more than 450,000 Americans in the last decade.
Trump’s order affecting de minimis parcels was paused on February 7 because there had not been sufficient time to prepare, with packages stacking up at ports of entry.
The White House said carriers transporting the Chinese and Hong Kong postal items must report shipment details to US Customs and Border Protection, CBP, maintain an international carrier bond to ensure duty payment, and remit duties to CBP on a set schedule.

Tinubu approves N20bn fund for NASRDA

Nnamdi Kanu slams Igbo political leaders for neglect

Plea bargain unfair in criminal justice system – Group
Trending
- Trending5 months ago
NYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
- Business5 months ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
- Politics5 months ago
Mexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
- Politics5 months ago
Russia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
- Politics5 months ago
Putin invites 20 world leaders
- Politics1 year ago
Nigerian Senate passes Bill seeking the establishment of the South East Development Commission.