Politics
Net closing in on South Korea’s president as MPs get death threats over impeachment vote

Published
4 months agoon
By
Ekwutos Blog
The news is moving so quickly in South Korea, the papers can no longer keep up. President Yoon Suk Yeol’s shock attempt to impose martial law last Tuesday night was so short-lived it failed to make the front page. By the time he despatched the troops, the press had already gone to print. By the following day’s editions, the failed power-grab had already been defeated.
Within the week, the president has morphed from being contrite and apologetic, hoping to avoid impeachment, to brazenly defiant, vowing to fight on as the net closed in on him.
Banned from leaving the country while he is investigated for treason – a crime punishable by death – he is facing a second impeachment vote this weekend, as support from his party trickles away. Meanwhile, the roars of anger from the thousands of people on the street every night are getting louder.
For a short while this week it looked as if he had struck a deal with his party to stand down early, in return for them not booting him out of office in last Saturday’s vote. But as the week sped by, there was no sign of the president nor the details of such plan, and it gradually became obvious Yoon had zero intention of resigning.
On Thursday, he emerged obstinate. “I will fight until the end,” he declared, as he defended his decision to seize control of the country.
His speech was rambling and filled with unsubstantiated conspiracy theories, including a vague suggestion that North Korea could have rigged the previous elections, in which he had failed to win control of parliament. The parliament was a “monster”, he said; the opposition party “dangerous”, and he, by declaring martial law, was trying to protect the people and save democracy.
Yoon spent much of this week in hiding, while police attempted to raid his offices to gather evidence. To try and temper public anger, his party announced that he would not be allowed to make decisions going forward – even though legal experts agreed there was nothing in the constitution that allowed for this.

Protesters are angry with Yoon – and the MPs who are shielding him
© BBC
This has left everyone with the same, pressing question – who IS running the country? – especially as senior commanders of Yoon’s army have said they would defy his orders if he tried to impose martial law again.
There is now an unnerving power vacuum in a country that lives with the continuous threat of being attacked by North Korea. “There is no legal basis for this arrangement. We are in a dangerous and chaotic situation,” said Lim Ji-bong, a law professor at Sogang University.
It was evident to all those on the outside that this destabilising and bizarre situation could not be allowed to continue much longer. But it took the president’s party, the People Power Party (PPP), some time to realise Yoon’s impeachment was unavoidable.
Initially his party members protected him, eager to save their own political skins, and consumed by their hatred of South Korea’s opposition leader, Lee Jae-myung, who they fear will become president if Yoon is removed. But on Thursday, after stalling for days, the PPP leader, Han Dong-hoon, came out to urge all MPs to impeach him. “The president must be suspended from office immediately,” he said.

MP Kim Sang-wook plans to vote against the president
© BBC
For the impeachment to pass, two-thirds of parliament must vote in favour, meaning eight ruling party MPs must join the opposition. A handful have so far declared their intention to do so. One of the first to change his mind was Kim Sang-wook. “The president is no longer qualified to lead the country, he is totally unfit,” he told the BBC from his office at the National Assembly.
But Kim said not all MPs would follow his lead; there is a core that will stay loyal to Yoon. In his very conservative constituency, Lee said he had received death threats for switching sides. “My party and supporters have called me a traitor,” he said, labelling South Korean politics as “intensely tribal”.
The vast majority of anger, however, has been directed at the MPs who have shielded Yoon up to this point.
At a protest on Wednesday night the chants had changed from merely “impeach Yoon” to “impeach Yoon, dissolve the party”.
“I hate them both so much right now, but I think I hate the MPs even more than the president,” said a 31-year-old graduate student Chang Yo-hoon, who had joined tens of thousands of others, in freezing temperatures, to voice his disillusionment.

Chang Yo-hoon (left) was among those attending the street protests
© BBC
All week, lawmakers have been bombarded with thousands of abusive messages and phone calls from the public, in what one member described to me as “phone terrorism”, while some have been sent funeral flowers.
Even if enough MPs vote to impeach Yoon this weekend, his party, now divided and widely detested, faces political oblivion. “We don’t even know who we are or what we stand for anymore,” one exasperated party official told me.
The defecting lawmaker Kim Sang-wook thinks it will take time to regain voters’ trust. “We will not disappear, but we need to rebuild ourselves from scratch,” he said. “There is a saying that South Korea’s economy and culture are first class, but its politics are third class. Now is the chance to reflect on that.”
Yoon has dealt a severe blow to South Korea’s reputation as a well-established, albeit young, democracy. There was pride when MPs swiftly overturned the president’s martial law decision, that the country’s democratic institutions were functioning after all. But the fragility of the system was exposed again, as the party manoeuvred to keep him in office, with the opposition branding this a “second coup”.

Traditional floral banners for a funeral have been sent to MPs as they consider how to vote
© News1
But Professor Yun Jeong-in, a research professor at Korea University’s Legal Research Institute, insisted the country was dealing with “an aberration, not a systemic failure of democracy”, pointing to the mass protests every night. “People are not panicking; they are fighting back. They see democracy as something that is rightfully theirs,” she said.
Damage has also been done to South Korea’s international relationships, and ironically to much of what Yoon wanted to achieve. He had a vison that South Korea would become a “global pivotal state”, playing a bigger role on the world stage. He even hoped to earn Seoul an invitation to join the elite group of G7 countries.
A Western diplomat told me they were hoping for a “swift resolution” to the crisis. “We need South Korea to be a stable partner. Impeachment would be a step in the right direction.”
If Yoon is suspended from office on Saturday, he will not leave without a fight. A prosecutor by trade, who knows the law inside out, he has decided he would rather be impeached, and challenge the decision when it goes to court, than go quietly. And the shockwaves he has set off are going to ripple through the country for years, perhaps decades, to follow.
Additional reporting by Jake Kwon and Hosu Lee.
You may like
Anambra 2025: Defections Rocks APC as Party Heavyweights Quit Guber Race
Transfer: I’m yet to decide my future – Osimhen
The 50-year-old code that reshaped the world: Bill Gates on the ‘revolution’ that started Microsoft
Renowned Bauchi cleric, Abdulaziz Dutsen Tanshi is dead
Scavenger dies, three hospitalised as military grenade explodes in Lagos
Adeyanju Commends AIG Gumel for Stance Against Emergency Declaration in Rivers State Amidst Persecution by IGP Egbetokun, Says Nigeria Need Courageous Men Like Him
Politics
Anambra 2025: Defections Rocks APC as Party Heavyweights Quit Guber Race

Published
7 hours agoon
April 4, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
Ahead of tomorrow’s Gubernatorial primary elections, the All Progressives Congress (APC) may be facing serious internal crisis after two front line aspirants announced their withdrawal from the race.
In separate letters, Sir Paul Chukwuma and Hon Chuma Umeoji both announced their decision to step away from the race.
They both cited personal reasons for their decision.
Politics
Sheikh Hasina’s extradition discussed during PM Modi, Muhammad Yunus’s meeting: Foreign secy Vikram Misri

Published
12 hours agoon
April 4, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
Bangkok [Thailand], April 4 (ANI): Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday met with Bangladesh’s chief advisor Muhammad Yunus for the first time since Sheikh Hasina’s ouster. in their meeting that was held on the sidelines of the BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok, the two leaders discussed Sheikh Hasina’s extradition, the Foreign Secretary of India, Vikram Misri said.
Addressing a special briefing on PM Modi’s visit to Thailand, Misri stated “There were talks on Sheikh Hasina’s extradition. Can’t say more on that.”
Further, Misri said that PM Modi has expressed India’s concerns over the safety and security of minorities, including Hindus in Bangladesh during his meeting.
“PM Modi reiterated India’s support for democratic, stable, peaceful, progressive and inclusive Bangladesh. He underlined India’s desire to forge a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh. The PM also urged that any rhetoric that vitiates the environment is best avoided,” foreign secretary Vikram Misri said.
Misri further said that the situation of minorities, including that of Hindu minorities were raised by India.
“The PM also urged that any rhetoric that vitiates the environment is best avoided. On the border, strict enforcement of the law and prevention of illegal border crossing are necessary to maintain border security and security. The PM also underlines India’s concerns over the safety and security of minorities, including Hindus in Bangladesh,” he added.
PM Modi is in Bangkok for the 6th BIMSTEC Summit.
In a post on X, he said, “With fellow BIMSTEC leaders at the Summit being held in Bangkok, Thailand. We reaffirm our commitment to boosting cooperation across diverse sectors. May our efforts bring a positive difference in people’s lives.”
The 6th BIMSTEC Summit marks a significant regional engagement between India and its neighbouring countries in the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) group.

The Bayelsa State High Court, sitting in Yenagoa, has issued an order restraining associates of Nyesom Wike, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), from holding a planned mega rally in the state.
Ekwutosblog reports that the proposed rally was scheduled for April 12, 2025, in Yenagoa, the Bayelsa State capital.
Hon. Justice I.A. Uzakah, on Thursday, granted the Motion Ex-Parte in Suit No. BYHC/YHC/CV/133/2025, filed by the State’s Attorney General, Biriyai Dambo, SAN.
Lead convener of the NEW Associates, organizers of the rally, Mr. George Turnah, and the FCT Minister, Wike, were listed as the first and second defendants/respondents in the suit.
The other defendants were the Nigeria Police Force, the Inspector-General of Police, and the Commissioner of Police, Bayelsa State Police Command.
The matter was, thereafter, adjourned to April 11, 2025, for hearing.

Anambra 2025: Defections Rocks APC as Party Heavyweights Quit Guber Race

Transfer: I’m yet to decide my future – Osimhen

The 50-year-old code that reshaped the world: Bill Gates on the ‘revolution’ that started Microsoft
Trending
- Trending5 months ago
NYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
- Business5 months ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
- Politics5 months ago
Mexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
- Politics5 months ago
Russia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
- Politics5 months ago
Putin invites 20 world leaders
- Politics1 year ago
Nigerian Senate passes Bill seeking the establishment of the South East Development Commission.