Connect with us

Politics

2025 Proposed Budget For Regional Development Commissions.

Published

on

Politics

You traveled to France while Nigerians suffer insecurity, hunger – Bode George knocks Tinubu

Published

on

Spread the love

A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Bode George has accused President Bola Tinubu of travelling to France when Nigeria is experiencing series of insecurity crisis.

George said it was shameful that while Nigerians don’t feel safe anymore, Tinubu’s administration was focused on trivial matters like recalling suspended Kogi Central Senator, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.

The former Deputy National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, disclosed this in a statement he signed, titled: ‘Whither Nigeria, my beloved country.’

He said, “Today, and with the series of crises, insecurity, hunger, joblessness and other vices in the country, President Bola Tinubu has taken off to Paris, France for reasons best known to him and his handlers.

“Nigerians don’t feel safe anymore in their fatherland, but the Federal Government, All Progressives Congress (APC) and the Senate are only interested in recalling Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan. What a shame!

“Aside from the fact that history is a faithful record of the past, it is also a prophecy of what is coming. That is why Fela’s song is still apt, decades after. Today, I see what led to the collapse of the First and Second republics being repeated by the APC-led Federal Government.”

On Wednesday, President Tinubu jetted out of Nigeria to France.

Tinubu’s spokesman, Bayo Onanuga said the president is expected to “return to Nigeria in about a fortnight”.

Continue Reading

Politics

Trump signs order ending duty-free treatment for cheap shipments from China

Published

on

Spread the love

President Donald Trump of the United States on Wednesday signed an executive order that closes a trade loophole known as “de minimus” that has allowed low-value packages from China and Hong Kong to enter the United States free of duties.

Trump signed the order, which takes effect at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time May 2, in the Rose Garden of the White House after announcing sweeping new tariffs on global trading partners.

According to the the White House, the move came after Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick certified adequate systems are in place to collect tariff revenue” on the shipments.

The White House said that imported goods from China and Hong Kong sent outside the international postal network and valued at or under $800 would now be subject to all applicable duties.

It added that Imported goods sent through the postal network and valued at or under $800 would now be subject to a duty rate of either 30% of their value or $25 per item, with that rate increasing to $50 per item after June 1.

Recall that Trump had signed an initial order on February 1 ending duty-free entry for the cheap Chinese goods, but later paused the order because of logistical issues complicating the inspection of millions of the low-value shipments.

Ekwutosblog reports that the number of shipments entering the US through the duty-free route has exploded in recent years, reaching nearly 1.4 billion packages last year.

Trump campaigned on a promise to punish China for the role it has played in the synthetic opioid crisis that has killed more than 450,000 Americans in the last decade.

Trump’s order affecting de minimis parcels was paused on February 7 because there had not been sufficient time to prepare, with packages stacking up at ports of entry.

The White House said carriers transporting the Chinese and Hong Kong postal items must report shipment details to US Customs and Border Protection, CBP, maintain an international carrier bond to ensure duty payment, and remit duties to CBP on a set schedule.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

PDP chieftains in Katsina announce coalition to challenge APC in 2027

Published

on

Spread the love

Several chieftains of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Katsina state have announced their intention to join a newly-formed opposition coalition aimed at challenging the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in the 2027 elections.
The PDP leaders, led by Dr. Mustapha Inuwa, made the declaration during a stakeholders’ meeting in Katsina on Tuesday.

Inuwa, a former Secretary to the Katsina State Government, confirmed that discussions for the formation of the coalition, which includes opposition parties like the New Nigeria People’s Party (NNPP) and People’s Redemption Party (PRP), have reached an advanced stage.

Though Inuwa did not explicitly mention joining Atiku Abubakar’s coalition, sources within the party revealed that the plans to align with the former PDP presidential candidate are finalised.

“We have commenced discussions with members of the NNPP, PRP, and even some prominent APC members to form a coalition for the 2027 election,” Inuwa stated.

Inuwa further added that some APC members, holding key positions within the federal and state governments, were supporting this movement.

The coalition’s members, comprising politicians from within and outside Katsina, are expected to soon finalize their choice of a political party to rally behind in the lead-up to the 2027 polls.

Prominent attendees of the meeting included former National Secretary of the PDP, Senator Umar Ibrahim Tsauri, former Senator representing Daura Zone, Ahmed Babba Kaiya, and Ahmed Musa Yar’adua.

Continue Reading

Trending