Columns
Archaeologists uncover extraordinary 2,000-year-old Roman basilica beneath London office

Published
2 months agoon
By
Ekwutos Blog
Archaeologists have made an extraordinary discovery under an office block in London: the remains of the city’s first Roman basilica.
It’s been described as one of the most significant archaeological finds in the capital in recent years.
Dating back nearly 2,000 years to the late 70s or early 80s AD, the basilica was part of the Roman forum – Londinium’s administrative and social hub.
“The significance of this site is that the Roman basilica really was the commercial, social, and economic hub of London,” explains Andrew Henderson-Schwartz, the head of public impact at MOLA (Museum of London Archaeology), in a chat with Euronews Culture.
“It’s where you would go to do big business decisions and big business deals. It’s where you would go to have disputes resolved by a magistrate. It’s where you’d go to have discussions about the kind of decisions that could affect the changes that were happening to both Roman London and and wider Roman Britain.”
- Ancient herald school in Roman Forum opens to public after major restoration
- Archaeologists unearth ‘exceptionally rare’ Roman helmet in Denmark

Archaeologists excavating a test pit at the site beneath 85 Gracechurch Street. Credit: MOLA
What’s been uncovered so far are the remarkably intact foundations of a two-storey building, nearly the size of an Olympic swimming pool.
Constructed between 78 and 84 A.D., the structure was erected just a few decades after Roman troops first invaded Britain and about 20 years after the destruction of Londinium by the forces of the Celtic warrior queen Boudicca.
As well as the walls, excavations have also revealed several artefacts, including a roof tile stamped with the mark of an official from the ancient city.

A section of the newly excavated wall of the Roman basilica in London. Credit: MOLA

A drawing of a representation of the Roman London Basilica which has been recently unearthed. Credit: Peter Marsden
The developer, Hertshten Properties, which owns the site and holds planning permission for a new office tower, has committed to incorporating the ancient remains into the building’s design and showcasing them in a public visitor centre.
The display is expected to feature a glass floor, allowing visitors to view the basilica’s walls below, and will also include space for food stalls and markets.
“I think it’s important to preserve the past. Obviously, London is a rapidly developing city, and it’s great that we’re growing so quickly with so much development happening. But having these tangible links to the past helps us remember where we came from and gives us a sense of connection to those who came before us,” says Henderson-Schwartz.
With further excavations on the horizon, the archaeological team hopes to answer several questions, such as why the original forum was only used for 20 years before being replaced by a much larger one, which continued to serve the city until the collapse of Roman rule three centuries later.

You may like
Renowned Bauchi cleric, Abdulaziz Dutsen Tanshi is dead
Tourists lament cancellation of 2025 Eid-el-Fitr Durbar in Kano
Bandits ambush commercial vehicle on Kebbi-Sokoto road, kill passenger
BREAKING: Court bars Akpabio, Natasha Akpoti, and Senate from granting interviews over alleged misconduct case
Anambra Native Doctors in Court: Akwa Ọkụkọ, Eke Hit, and Onyeze Jesus Face Justice
I Will Pay Full Compensation To Families Of 16 Hunters K!lled In Edo State – Governor Okpebholo.
Columns
Afghan’s claim he is 140 years old is investigated by the Taliban

Published
11 hours agoon
April 4, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
The Taliban is investigating an Afghan man’s claim that he is 140 years old – which would make him the oldest person ever to have lived.
Aqel Nazir, who lives in the country’s eastern Khost province, says he was born in the 1880s.
He claims to remember celebrating the end of the Third Anglo-Afghan War in 1919 alongside King Amanullah Khan, the Afghan leader who launched a campaign against the British, while in his thirties.
Nazir, who lives in the picturesque hills in Khost, said: ‘I was in the palace with King Amanullah Khan.
‘I was over 30 at the time and I remember saying that the British had fled and knelt down.
‘Everyone was happy and thanked King Amanullah Khan for chasing the British away.
‘Many leaders accompanied us to the Arg [presidential palace], but now all of them have passed away.’
The great-great grandfather does not have any documents to support his claim, but his family are also on board with gaining official recognition of his status.

Aqel Nazir, who lives in the country’s eastern Khost province, says he was born in the 1880s

The ruling Taliban administration has dispatched a a special civil registration team to assess his true age
Khyal Wazir, his 50-year-old grandson, said: ‘He is my grandfather, and I have my grandchildren as well.’
Another grandson, Abdul Hakim Sabari, said: ‘We request the government confirm our grandfather’s age using an ID or any other scientific method or documents, to prove he is 140 years old.’
In an attempt to solve the mystery, the ruling Taliban administration has dispatched a a special civil registration team to assess his true age.
Mustaghfar Gurbaz, a Taliban spokesman for the province, said: ‘If confirmed by documents or assessments, we will work to register him as the oldest person in the world.’
If verified, he would comfortably take the title of the oldest person to have ever lived.
That record is held by Jeanne Calment, who was born in 1875 and passed away in 1997, 122 years later.
The world’s current verified oldest living person is Inah Canabarro Lucas, a Brazilian nun who turned 116 last June.
Another Brazilian woman, Deolira Gliceria Pedro da Silva, is hoping to have her own claim to be 120 years of age verified by Guinness World Records.
But experts have already cast doubt on Nazir’s claims.

The world’s current verified oldest living person is Inah Canabarro Lucas

The Brazilian nun turned 116 last June
Valery Novoselov, a geriatrician at Moscow State University, told Russian outlet AIF: ‘There are no reliably registered men on the planet older than 114 to 115 years [of age].
‘In the Caucasus in the 60s, they also recorded “long-livers” – shepherds who allegedly lived to 168 years.
‘These are so-called games with age. There are no documents, no reliable data – which means this is an unrealistic picture.’
In 2015, a man claiming to be 100 years old applied for asylum in Germany after an extraordinary eight-month journey from Afghanistan.
Like Nazir, Abdul Qadir Azizi did not have any identity papers, but his family claimed his year of birth was 1905.
Azizi, who is deaf and blind, spent one month travelling across two continents from his home in the Afghan town of Baghlan to reach Germany.
His family fled after three of Azizi’s sons were killed by the Taliban.
The plight of the elderly in Afghanistan has worsened since the Taliban takeover.
In 2024, they effectively abolished the pension system, leaving many older Afghans struggling to meet basic needs.
Previously, anyone over the age of 65 received a monthly payment of around $100 from the state.
Columns
Tourists lament cancellation of 2025 Eid-el-Fitr Durbar in Kano

Published
12 hours agoon
April 4, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
Several tourists have expressed disappointment over the abrupt cancellation of the 2025 Eid-el-Fitr Durbar, a popular traditional horse-riding festival, in Kano State.
More than 160 tourists had traveled to Kano to witness the annual Sallah Durbar, which is renowned for its grandeur and cultural significance. The cancellation, announced shortly before the event, left many visitors disheartened.
Speaking at a press briefing in Kano, Mr. Virgil Taylor, a tourist from the United States who spent a year planning his trip, described the experience as disheartening. He arrived in Nigeria on March 28, 2025, only to learn of the Durbar’s cancellation.
“Kano Durbar, as I understood from my research, was the biggest Durbar to visit. I only learned that the Durbar was canceled when I arrived in Kano. I was terribly disappointed because I had made significant financial commitments to the trip, arranging everything in advance,” Taylor said.
The first-time visitor to Nigeria noted that the Durbar represented a unique and historic opportunity for him, one he had long anticipated. Despite the setback, he appreciated the efforts of the Executive Secretary of the Kano State History and Culture Bureau, Mr. Ahmad Yusuf, and Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf, for providing alternative experiences for tourists.
Taylor, however, urged the Federal Government to minimize the issuance of security threats that could deter investors and tourists from visiting Nigeria. “Despite the financial cost, I consider my visit a blessing and would consider returning, hoping not to be disappointed again,” he added.
Similarly, Lekan Yusha’u, a UK-based Nigerian and polo agent, expressed frustration over the cancellation. He noted that his visit, along with the invitation extended to his friends, was largely inspired by UNESCO’s recognition of the Durbar as part of its heritage program.
“They have never ridden a horse in such a long procession. My goal, along with a couple of friends, was to ensure that within the next year, we put the Kano Durbar procession in the Guinness World Records. Kano Durbar has the largest gathering of horses in the world, with over 4,000 horses participating in a single procession,” Yusha’u said.
He revealed that he had spent over £6,000 on his flight alone, excluding other expenses, and had met over 160 foreign tourists who had come for the same event.
Yusha’u urged the Kano State Government to capitalize on the event’s global appeal, emphasizing that the Kano Durbar is unique to northern Nigeria.
“Both the state and federal government should not disappoint us again by canceling the Kano Durbar,” he said.
The annual Durbar festival in Kano is a cultural showcase that attracts visitors from around the world, featuring colorful horse parades, traditional dances, and displays of local heritage.
Columns
I got married to man who wasn’t financially sound – Michelle Obama admits

Published
2 days agoon
April 3, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
Former U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama has admitted that Barack Obama was “not financially sound” when she met him.
The couple met in 1988 when Barack took a job at a law firm in Chicago where Michelle was already working.
Speaking on the podcast she hosts with her brother, Craig, Michelle spent much of their most recent episode discussing the importance of having a partner with financial stability.
Talking with British author Jay Shetty, Craig put the question directly to his famous sister.
He asked, “Would you be attracted to a guy who’s not financially sound when you meet him?”
Michelle immediately responded, “Uh, I married one.”
Craig then laughed and admitted to his sister that he’d set her up.
“Don’t you like that alley-oop I just threw you? In basketball, you just point—you don’t even have to say it,” he said.

Anambra 2025: Defections Rocks APC as Party Heavyweights Quit Guber Race

Transfer: I’m yet to decide my future – Osimhen

The 50-year-old code that reshaped the world: Bill Gates on the ‘revolution’ that started Microsoft
Trending
- Trending5 months ago
NYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
- Business5 months ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
- Politics5 months ago
Mexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
- Politics5 months ago
Russia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
- Politics5 months ago
Putin invites 20 world leaders
- Politics1 year ago
Nigerian Senate passes Bill seeking the establishment of the South East Development Commission.