Connect with us

Health

Delta State Governor, Sheriff Oborevwori” has directed the Provost of Delta State College of Nursing Science, Agbor, to withdraw the query letter issued to a nursing student

Published

on

Spread the love

The Delta State Governor, Sheriff Oborevwori” has directed the Provost of Delta State College of Nursing Science, Agbor, to withdraw the query letter issued to a nursing student…

The student had been disciplined for recording and sharing a video during First Lady Oluremi Tinubu’s visit, in which students appeared to reject her as “our mother.” This incident sparked significant social media attention and led to the student’s reprimand…

The Query Letter from the Nursing School Provost

 

The Withdrawal letter against Query directed by the Governor of Delta

Health

Abia health workers write Gov Otti, issue 15-day strike notice

Published

on

Spread the love

A coalition of Abia State health unions comprising National Association of Nigerian Nurses and midwives, Medical and Health Union of Nigeria and Nigerian Union of Allied Health Professionals has written a letter to Governor Alex Otti about their plans to withdraw services over alleged non-payment of the reviewed Consolidated Health Salary Structure (CONHESS).

In a letter that emanated from their office in Umuahia, signed by their respective leaders, Ngozi Duke, Offor Solomon and Oparaocha Chibueze, the health workers said they have issued a 15-day ultimatum to the Abia State government to address the CONHESS issues or face strike.

The coalition of Abia health unions, who said it had started mobilizing and sensitizing members across the State to embark on the strike, lamented that the State government did not respond to their previous 21 days ultimatum until it expired on March 26, 2025.
According to the health workers, the demands contained in the previous 21-day ultimatum were not addressed by the State government, as no government official formally engaged them in discussion on the unpaid consolidated salary structure.

They claimed that the members of various health unions under the coalition had been thrown into financial hardship, warning that the situation could undermine their well-being and also affect the quality of healthcare services in Abia State.
“The coalition of Abia health union is compelled to invoke Section 41 of Trade Dispute Act Cap T8, laws of the Federation of Nigeria to issue 15 days notice of withdrawal of services if our demand is not reasonable addressed”, the statement said.
According to them, the letter, which was dated March 27, 2025, was received at the Government House, Umuahia, on March 28, 2025.

Continue Reading

Health

Rhodes-Vivour, Sanwo-Olu clash over Lagos Health Insurance Scheme

Published

on

Spread the love

The 2023 governorship candidate of Labour Party, LP, in Lagos State, Gbadebo Rhodes-Vivour, has clashed with the Lagos State government over the Social Health Insurance Scheme recently introduced in the state.

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu recently signed an Executive Order establishing a mandatory Social Health Insurance Scheme for all residents of Lagos State, regardless of income level. According to the governor, the scheme will provide universal health coverage to Lagosians, ensuring access to quality healthcare services.

However, this move has sparked concerns among many Lagosians, who argue that the flat rate is unsustainable for low-income earners and would further exacerbate economic hardship. Others have also questioned the timing and prioritisation of the scheme, given the state’s existing healthcare infrastructure challenges.

It is against this backdrop that Rhodes-Vivour has spoken out against the scheme, proposing alternative solutions and calling for a more equitable and effective approach to universal health coverage in Lagos.

Reacting via his X handle, the LP candidate argued that the N15,000 annual contribution would exacerbate economic hardship for minimum wage earners, who would spend nearly 20 per cent of their income on the payment.

He proposed a proportional 5% contribution of monthly income instead, ensuring a fairer distribution of financial responsibility across income levels.

“This flat-rate approach reveals a fundamental disconnect from the economic realities facing most Lagosians. For minimum wage earners, this N15,000 contribution represents nearly 20% of their income—an unsustainable burden that will push many further into economic hardship,” Rhodes-Vivour said.

He also emphasised the need for substantial investment in healthcare infrastructure and personnel, citing a deficit of 30,000 doctors in Lagos State. “Before mandating and enforcing such an Executive Order, substantial investment in healthcare infrastructure and personnel is imperative. We must address the elephant in the room and resist the urge to place the cart before the horse,” Rhodes-Vivour stressed.

According to him, the Sanwo-Olu administration must adopt the 2014 Abuja Declaration, which recommends allocating 15 per cent of the state budget to healthcare. “In 2024, the Lagos State government fell short of this laudable vision by allocating only 6.75% of its budget to healthcare,” he noted.

In response, Gboyega Akosile, Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to Governor Sanwo-Olu, clarified that the N15,000 contribution is an annual premium, not a monthly payment.

“The social health insurance plan of Lagos State has an ANNUAL premium of N15,000 only per individual and NOT MONTHLY as stated by you,” Akosile said.

He explained that the scheme is mandatory for all Nigerians under the NHIA Act of 2022 and highlighted the state’s efforts to make healthcare more accessible.

According to him, the government has allocated an equity fund to cover vulnerable residents and has invested in healthcare infrastructure, including the construction of Mother and Child Care hospitals.

He also mentioned the establishment of a dedicated Lagos State University of Medicine and Health Sciences to address the shortage of healthcare professionals, while emphasising that the scheme will “cover a wide scope of services, both primary and secondary, tailored to serve the health needs and address the disease burden of the state.”

Continue Reading

Health

Wike approves first batch of 34 new resident doctors for FCTA hospitals

Published

on

Spread the love

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has approved the employment of 34 resident doctors for a fixed seven-year residency training program.

This marks the first phase of a broader initiative to recruit 60 medical residency trainees across eight specialties in FCTA hospitals.

Senior Special Assistant to the FCT Minister on Public Communications and Social Media, Lere Olayinka, announced the development in a statement on Wednesday, highlighting that the recruitment will significantly enhance healthcare services in the FCT.

He noted that this is the first time such an employment process has taken place outside the Health Management Board, providing doctors with greater opportunities and bringing more skilled professionals into the healthcare system.

The 34 newly employed resident doctors will specialize in psychiatry, internal medicine, general surgery, anesthesiology, family medicine, ophthalmology, and obstetrics and gynecology.

To further strengthen healthcare delivery, the FCTA Civil Service Commission will soon commence the recruitment process for the remaining 26 resident doctors, covering additional specialties such as pediatrics.

Continue Reading

Trending