Politics
Canada PM Carney declares Canada’s traditional ties with US are over amid auto tariff threats

Published
6 days agoon
By
Ekwutos Blog
Ottawa [Canada], March 28 (ANI): In a dramatic shift in Canada‘s foreign policy, Prime Minister Mark Carney on Thursday declared that the long-standing economic and security relationship between Canada and the United States has ended, responding to US President Donald Trump‘s announcement of new auto tariffs that could severely impact Canada‘s economy, Politico reported.
“The old relationship we had with the United States, based on deepening integration of our economies and tight security and military cooperation, is over,” Carney stated on Parliament Hill after breaking from the federal campaign trail in response to Trump’s latest threats.
Trump announced Wednesday that his administration would impose a 25 percent tariff on auto imports from Canada, the European Union, Japan, and South Korea. He also threatened to introduce additional tariffs targeting major UStrading partners.
In reaction, Carney said that he would speak with Trump in the coming days but made clear that any discussion must respect Canada‘s sovereignty. “We must fundamentally reimagine our economy. We will need to ensure that Canada can succeed in a drastically different world,” he said.
Carney convened his Cabinet’s committee on Canada–US relations upon returning to Ottawa. Canada has indicated it is ready to retaliate but has not revealed specific countermeasures. “We are facing a comprehensive and broad negotiation,” Carney said, adding that he would not disclose Canada‘s response strategy prematurely.
Flavio Volpe, president of the Automotive Parts Manufacturers Association of Canada, warned that if the tariffs proceed, both countries’ auto industries would be paralysed within a week. “One day, two days, three days where you hope the president shows you mercy. You’re a publicly traded company whose share price is taking a beating, and you have a fiduciary obligation to shareholders,” Volpe told Politico.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford spoke with USCommerce Secretary Howard Lutnick on Wednesday about the potential impact on his province. According to Ford, Lutnick explained that tariffs on vehicles from Canada and Mexico would be adjusted based on US content. For example, if a car built in Mexico contains 50 percent American parts, the tariff rate would be reduced to 12.5 percent instead of the full 25 percent.
“He’s reassuring us that there’ll be no plant closures. My response was Ronald Reagan’s response: Trust but verify,” Ford said. “If they’re opening or closing, it’s going to be up to the CEOs.”
Ford also confirmed that he spoke with Carney and that both agreed Canada would fully retaliate if necessary. Ottawa has previously stated that it could impose up to CAD 155 billion in counter-tariffs on US goods.
Trump responded on Truth Social early Thursday, warning that if Canada and the EU coordinated against the tariffs, the US would introduce even harsher trade measures. “If the European Union works with Canada in order to do economic harm to the USA, large-scale Tariffs, far larger than currently planned, will be placed on them both in order to protect the best friend that each of those two countries has ever had!” Trump wrote.
Carney dismissed Trump’s threat, asserting that Canada would act in its own national interest. “What is clear is that we as Canadians have agency, we have power. We are masters in our own home,” he said. “We can control our destiny.”
Since becoming Liberal Party leader on March 9, Carney has not spoken directly with Trump. While members of his Cabinet may travel to Washington, he stated that he has no immediate plans to do so. Volpe suggested that a phone call would be preferable to an in-person visit.
“I don’t think it’s in anybody’s interest in Canadato get Zelenskyy-ed,” Volpe said, referring to how the Biden administration has handled Ukraine’s leader. “They’ve shown that they lack the class to treat an ally whose people are dying with any respect. I imagine that we’d be risking that as well.”
He also advised that Canada remain patient and allow the economic fallout in the US to take effect. “What if we go to the other side and everything shuts down, and 950,000 US auto workers are sitting around? That’s ugly, but that’s also hopeful,” Volpe said. “That’s a whole group that people are going to have to hear from, and they’re not going to talk about the price of eggs. They’re going to talk about how to make rent.”
Lana Payne, president of Unifor, Canada‘s largest private-sector union, called on the government to protect auto workers and warned the US against trying to shift manufacturing southward while maintaining access to Canada‘s market. “If you think you can shift production, factories, mills and reinvest in the United States out of Canada and think that you’re going to have open access to our market, you need to think again,” Payne said.
Canadian premiers have also voiced concerns. “Here’s the thing: Donald Trump is trying to create uncertainty all over the world, in Canada included. And he’s trying to make people panic so that he can get a deal that takes advantage of us,” said Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew.
Quebec Premier Francois Legault called for an immediate renegotiation of the United States-Canada-Mexico Agreement (USMCA) but acknowledged that might not be realistic under Trump. “It has to happen as soon as possible because right now, we cannot start negotiating piece by piece a new agreement,” Legault said. “But we have to be realistic. Is Mr. Trump open to this negotiation?”
Mexico, Canada, and South Korea currently benefit from duty-free access to the US auto market under trade agreements that Trump renegotiated during his first term. However, the new tariffs could significantly disrupt North America’s integrated auto supply chains, Politico reported.
Mayors from Canada, Mexico, and the US are set to meet in Washington on Friday for a trade summit, where they will advocate for tariff relief.
Candace Laing, president and CEO of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, criticised the tariffs as a reckless economic move that could cost thousands of jobs in both countries. She noted that the Ontario-Michigan supply chain alone produces nearly a quarter of North America’s vehicles and warned that Trump’s tariffs would significantly increase vehicle costs. “Under Trump’s tariffs, the cost of a pickup truck would rise by USD 8,000,” she said.
According to US Commerce Department data, the United States imported USD 214 billion worth of passenger cars in 2024. The US government has stated that the new tariffs will take effect on April 3, just one week away.
You may like
‘I want to do everything I can’ – Osimhen reacts to Galatasaray win over Fenerbahce
Delta police arrest father, second wife over death of three sisters
NATO allies brace themselves for more harsh truths from US’ Marco Rubio
Abia health workers write Gov Otti, issue 15-day strike notice
CBN declares report on N10,000, N5,000 banknotes as fake
Trump signs order ending duty-free treatment for cheap shipments from China
Politics
Trump signs order ending duty-free treatment for cheap shipments from China

Published
2 hours agoon
April 3, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
President Donald Trump of the United States on Wednesday signed an executive order that closes a trade loophole known as “de minimus” that has allowed low-value packages from China and Hong Kong to enter the United States free of duties.
Trump signed the order, which takes effect at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time May 2, in the Rose Garden of the White House after announcing sweeping new tariffs on global trading partners.
According to the the White House, the move came after Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick certified adequate systems are in place to collect tariff revenue” on the shipments.
The White House said that imported goods from China and Hong Kong sent outside the international postal network and valued at or under $800 would now be subject to all applicable duties.
It added that Imported goods sent through the postal network and valued at or under $800 would now be subject to a duty rate of either 30% of their value or $25 per item, with that rate increasing to $50 per item after June 1.
Recall that Trump had signed an initial order on February 1 ending duty-free entry for the cheap Chinese goods, but later paused the order because of logistical issues complicating the inspection of millions of the low-value shipments.
Ekwutosblog reports that the number of shipments entering the US through the duty-free route has exploded in recent years, reaching nearly 1.4 billion packages last year.
Trump campaigned on a promise to punish China for the role it has played in the synthetic opioid crisis that has killed more than 450,000 Americans in the last decade.
Trump’s order affecting de minimis parcels was paused on February 7 because there had not been sufficient time to prepare, with packages stacking up at ports of entry.
The White House said carriers transporting the Chinese and Hong Kong postal items must report shipment details to US Customs and Border Protection, CBP, maintain an international carrier bond to ensure duty payment, and remit duties to CBP on a set schedule.
Politics
PDP chieftains in Katsina announce coalition to challenge APC in 2027

Published
16 hours agoon
April 2, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
Several chieftains of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Katsina state have announced their intention to join a newly-formed opposition coalition aimed at challenging the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in the 2027 elections.
The PDP leaders, led by Dr. Mustapha Inuwa, made the declaration during a stakeholders’ meeting in Katsina on Tuesday.
Inuwa, a former Secretary to the Katsina State Government, confirmed that discussions for the formation of the coalition, which includes opposition parties like the New Nigeria People’s Party (NNPP) and People’s Redemption Party (PRP), have reached an advanced stage.
Though Inuwa did not explicitly mention joining Atiku Abubakar’s coalition, sources within the party revealed that the plans to align with the former PDP presidential candidate are finalised.
“We have commenced discussions with members of the NNPP, PRP, and even some prominent APC members to form a coalition for the 2027 election,” Inuwa stated.
Inuwa further added that some APC members, holding key positions within the federal and state governments, were supporting this movement.
The coalition’s members, comprising politicians from within and outside Katsina, are expected to soon finalize their choice of a political party to rally behind in the lead-up to the 2027 polls.
Prominent attendees of the meeting included former National Secretary of the PDP, Senator Umar Ibrahim Tsauri, former Senator representing Daura Zone, Ahmed Babba Kaiya, and Ahmed Musa Yar’adua.
Politics
My Sallah visit was not a campaign – Akpoti-Uduaghan refutes claims

Published
17 hours agoon
April 2, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, representing Kogi Central Senatorial District, has dismissed allegations that her recent visit to her hometown was a political gathering. She clarified that her trip on Monday, April 1, 2025, was purely to celebrate Sallah with her constituents and had no political undertones.
Her response follows claims that she paid attendees to be present at the event—an assertion she described as baseless and misleading. “This was a celebration of unity and shared love, not politics,” Akpoti-Uduaghan stated. “The people who welcomed me did so of their own free will, and I deeply appreciate their sacrifice.”
Despite a government-imposed restriction on vehicular movement, thousands of supporters trekked long distances through bush paths to receive her with a heroic welcome. The senator, who arrived via chopper, was met with overwhelming cheers, reflecting the deep-rooted affection her people have for her. Some supporters were even attacked on their way but remained resolute in their desire to celebrate with her.
Akpoti-Uduaghan emphasized that the crowd consisted of residents from the five local government areas that make up Kogi Central, representing less than 3 percent of her overall supporters. She noted that the turnout was a testament to her enduring influence in the region.
Beyond the celebration, the senator’s visit also highlighted her contributions to the district’s development. The very road where the people gathered to welcome her was one she had facilitated and constructed years before becoming a senator. Her tenure has been marked by a strong commitment to infrastructure, empowerment programs, and social welfare initiatives that have transformed many lives.
Expressing gratitude for the massive show of support, Akpoti-Uduaghan reassured her constituents of her dedication to their welfare. “Your presence here today, despite the challenges, humbles me,” she said. “It only strengthens my resolve to continue working tirelessly for the progress of our land.”
The grand reception further reaffirmed her popularity in Kogi Central, countering the narratives pushed by political detractors.

‘I want to do everything I can’ – Osimhen reacts to Galatasaray win over Fenerbahce

Delta police arrest father, second wife over death of three sisters

NATO allies brace themselves for more harsh truths from US’ Marco Rubio
Trending
- Trending5 months ago
NYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
- Business5 months ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
- Politics5 months ago
Mexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
- Politics5 months ago
Russia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
- Politics5 months ago
Putin invites 20 world leaders
- Politics1 year ago
Nigerian Senate passes Bill seeking the establishment of the South East Development Commission.