Politics
President Tinubu using state of emergency to intimidate governors – Amaechi

Published
5 days agoon
By
Ekwutos Blog
Former Rivers State Governor, Rotimi Amaechi, has accused President Bola Tinubu of using the state of emergency to intimidate governors who may oppose him in the 2027 general election.
Amaechi, speaking with an international media outlet, alleged that the crisis in Rivers State is rooted in a dispute over the sharing of the state’s funds.
He questioned the legality of the state of emergency, suggesting that President Tinubu’s actions are unconstitutional.
He proposed two solutions to address the issue: that People’s Democratic Party (PDP) governors should challenge the suspension in court and that a national protest should be organized to stop what he termed an “illegal suspension.”
Amaechi said, “The fight between the former governor (Wike) and the current governor (Fubara) is about sharing money. The President (Tinubu) acted outside of the constitution.”
The former Minister of Transportation also claimed that President Tinubu and the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory are the masterminds behind the political crisis in Rivers State.
Amaechi emphasized that, as the constitutional head of security, President Tinubu should not shift the blame to suspended Governor Siminalayi Fubara.
You may like
NATO allies brace themselves for more harsh truths from US’ Marco Rubio
Abia health workers write Gov Otti, issue 15-day strike notice
CBN declares report on N10,000, N5,000 banknotes as fake
Trump signs order ending duty-free treatment for cheap shipments from China
Rhodes-Vivour, Sanwo-Olu clash over Lagos Health Insurance Scheme
DOGE: Elon Musk terminates additional 80 wasteful contracts worth $203.6bn
Politics
Trump signs order ending duty-free treatment for cheap shipments from China

Published
53 minutes agoon
April 3, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
President Donald Trump of the United States on Wednesday signed an executive order that closes a trade loophole known as “de minimus” that has allowed low-value packages from China and Hong Kong to enter the United States free of duties.
Trump signed the order, which takes effect at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time May 2, in the Rose Garden of the White House after announcing sweeping new tariffs on global trading partners.
According to the the White House, the move came after Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick certified adequate systems are in place to collect tariff revenue” on the shipments.
The White House said that imported goods from China and Hong Kong sent outside the international postal network and valued at or under $800 would now be subject to all applicable duties.
It added that Imported goods sent through the postal network and valued at or under $800 would now be subject to a duty rate of either 30% of their value or $25 per item, with that rate increasing to $50 per item after June 1.
Recall that Trump had signed an initial order on February 1 ending duty-free entry for the cheap Chinese goods, but later paused the order because of logistical issues complicating the inspection of millions of the low-value shipments.
Ekwutosblog reports that the number of shipments entering the US through the duty-free route has exploded in recent years, reaching nearly 1.4 billion packages last year.
Trump campaigned on a promise to punish China for the role it has played in the synthetic opioid crisis that has killed more than 450,000 Americans in the last decade.
Trump’s order affecting de minimis parcels was paused on February 7 because there had not been sufficient time to prepare, with packages stacking up at ports of entry.
The White House said carriers transporting the Chinese and Hong Kong postal items must report shipment details to US Customs and Border Protection, CBP, maintain an international carrier bond to ensure duty payment, and remit duties to CBP on a set schedule.
Politics
PDP chieftains in Katsina announce coalition to challenge APC in 2027

Published
15 hours agoon
April 2, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
Several chieftains of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Katsina state have announced their intention to join a newly-formed opposition coalition aimed at challenging the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in the 2027 elections.
The PDP leaders, led by Dr. Mustapha Inuwa, made the declaration during a stakeholders’ meeting in Katsina on Tuesday.
Inuwa, a former Secretary to the Katsina State Government, confirmed that discussions for the formation of the coalition, which includes opposition parties like the New Nigeria People’s Party (NNPP) and People’s Redemption Party (PRP), have reached an advanced stage.
Though Inuwa did not explicitly mention joining Atiku Abubakar’s coalition, sources within the party revealed that the plans to align with the former PDP presidential candidate are finalised.
“We have commenced discussions with members of the NNPP, PRP, and even some prominent APC members to form a coalition for the 2027 election,” Inuwa stated.
Inuwa further added that some APC members, holding key positions within the federal and state governments, were supporting this movement.
The coalition’s members, comprising politicians from within and outside Katsina, are expected to soon finalize their choice of a political party to rally behind in the lead-up to the 2027 polls.
Prominent attendees of the meeting included former National Secretary of the PDP, Senator Umar Ibrahim Tsauri, former Senator representing Daura Zone, Ahmed Babba Kaiya, and Ahmed Musa Yar’adua.
Politics
My Sallah visit was not a campaign – Akpoti-Uduaghan refutes claims

Published
16 hours agoon
April 2, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, representing Kogi Central Senatorial District, has dismissed allegations that her recent visit to her hometown was a political gathering. She clarified that her trip on Monday, April 1, 2025, was purely to celebrate Sallah with her constituents and had no political undertones.
Her response follows claims that she paid attendees to be present at the event—an assertion she described as baseless and misleading. “This was a celebration of unity and shared love, not politics,” Akpoti-Uduaghan stated. “The people who welcomed me did so of their own free will, and I deeply appreciate their sacrifice.”
Despite a government-imposed restriction on vehicular movement, thousands of supporters trekked long distances through bush paths to receive her with a heroic welcome. The senator, who arrived via chopper, was met with overwhelming cheers, reflecting the deep-rooted affection her people have for her. Some supporters were even attacked on their way but remained resolute in their desire to celebrate with her.
Akpoti-Uduaghan emphasized that the crowd consisted of residents from the five local government areas that make up Kogi Central, representing less than 3 percent of her overall supporters. She noted that the turnout was a testament to her enduring influence in the region.
Beyond the celebration, the senator’s visit also highlighted her contributions to the district’s development. The very road where the people gathered to welcome her was one she had facilitated and constructed years before becoming a senator. Her tenure has been marked by a strong commitment to infrastructure, empowerment programs, and social welfare initiatives that have transformed many lives.
Expressing gratitude for the massive show of support, Akpoti-Uduaghan reassured her constituents of her dedication to their welfare. “Your presence here today, despite the challenges, humbles me,” she said. “It only strengthens my resolve to continue working tirelessly for the progress of our land.”
The grand reception further reaffirmed her popularity in Kogi Central, countering the narratives pushed by political detractors.

NATO allies brace themselves for more harsh truths from US’ Marco Rubio

Abia health workers write Gov Otti, issue 15-day strike notice

CBN declares report on N10,000, N5,000 banknotes as fake
Trending
- Trending5 months ago
NYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
- Business5 months ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
- Politics5 months ago
Mexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
- Politics5 months ago
Russia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
- Politics5 months ago
Putin invites 20 world leaders
- Politics1 year ago
Nigerian Senate passes Bill seeking the establishment of the South East Development Commission.