News
Is it safe to travel to Thailand and is Bangkok airport open? Latest advice after Myanmar earthquake

Published
7 days agoon
By
Ekwutos Blog
A7.7 magnitude earthquake struck Myanmar at midday local time on 28 March, sending violent tremors across Thailand and as far as China.
The jolt caused a skyscraper to crumble in the Thai capital Bangkok, causing three deaths and leaving 81 people still missing under the rubble.
European governments have updated their travel advice for tourists in Thailand and with upcoming trips. Here’s what you need to know about safety and travel insurance.
State of emergency declared in six regions in Myanmar
The earthquake, whose epicentre was near the city of Mandalay in Myanmar, has caused dozens of buildings to collapse. Its shallow depth of 10 metres amplified the ground-level impact.
A 6.4 magnitude aftershock was also felt 12 minutes later near the city, the US Geological Survey reported, with tremors being felt as far away as Laos, Bangladesh and China.
Footage reportedly filmed inside Mandalay airport shows people running through dust-filled hallways and huddled on the floor outside the building for safety.
In the town of Taungoo in Myanmar, the partial collapse of a mosque killed two people, according to Reuters.
Local media reports that at least two people have died and 20 have been injured after a hotel crumbled in Aungban in the south of the country.

A state of emergency has been declared in six regions and states in Myanmar by authorities. Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
There are likely many more casualties across the country, but its volatile political situation under a military-run government means journalists have restricted access and reports from the ground are difficult to verify.
A state of emergency has been declared in six regions and states in Myanmar by authorities.
In Bangkok, the tower block that came down was under construction. A rescue worker said seven people had been found alive but 81 people are still missing.
Authorities have reportedly received 169 calls about damage to buildings in the Thai capital. It has been declared a ‘disaster area’.
Hundreds of residents and tourists have been evacuated to the streets from high-rise buildings and hotels, while there are reports of water sloshing out of swimming pools in several parts of the city.
Is it safe to travel to Thailand?
Thailand is a tourism hotspot which is seeing a spike in visitors after the HBO series The White Lotus was set in a resort in the country.
After the earthquake rocked the capital Bangkok, urban rail and metro systems were temporarily closed and are expected to resume services on Saturday.
Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi airport was briefly shut down in the immediate aftermath but has now reopened, with flights operating normally. Thailand’s other major airports have not experienced disruption.
Local authorities have advised the public to avoid high-rise buildings, which crowd the densely populated city.
The UK’s Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) has updated its travel advice for Thailand.

Hundreds of residents and tourists have been evacuated to the streets from high-rise buildings and hotels Associated Press
“If you’re in the area or planning to travel there, follow the advice of the local authorities or your tour operator and monitor local media,” it urges travellers.
Ireland’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) has updated its security status for Thailand to ‘high degree of caution’.
“We encourage citizens to follow the instructions of local authorities in the event of an emergency,” it has said.
There is also ongoing advice (unrelated to the earthquake) from the FCDO against all but essential travel to parts of south Thailand near the Thailand-Malaysia border.
This includes the Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat Provinces and the southern Songkhla Province south of the A43 road between Hat Yai and Sakom and south of the train line which runs between Hat Yai and Padang Besar.
FCDO also advises against all but essential travel on the Hat Yai to Padang Besar train line that runs through these provinces. This is due to regular attacks in these areas by the border with Malaysia.
Is it safe to travel to Myanmar?
The FCDO has also issued updated advice for travellers in Myanmar, stating that the epicentre is in the Sagaing region near Mandalay, but other areas may also be affected.
“Mandalay airport is reportedly closed. There may be several strong after-shocks.
“If you’re in the area or planning to travel there, follow the advice of the local authorities and monitor local media.”
Am I covered by travel insurance if I go ahead with my trip to Thailand?
The UK foreign office warns that your travel insurance could be invalidated if you travel against its advice. This means going to areas where it advises against all but essential travel.
As it has not issued a ‘no-go’ warning for earthquake-affected zones, you are not automatically entitled to a refund if you cancel your trip – referred to as ‘disinclination to travel’.
Reimbursement is only likely if your flight is cancelled by the airline or your accommodation is closed due to the earthquake.
If you have booked with a travel agent or tour operator, contact the company directly to understand your options.
“If you are travelling to Thailand over the next few days, speak to your airline or travel operator in the first instance. It may be that some regions of Thailand will be deemed unsafe to travel, in which case airlines will cancel flights, but disruption is likely to be localised so it will depend on which region you are travelling to,” says Ernesto Suarez, CEO of travel insurance providers Gigasure.
“When disruption is caused by natural disasters or circumstances outside of an airline’s control, passengers are normally allowed to change their booking, but you may not be entitled to any additional compensation.
Some insurance policies include natural disaster cover for an event that prevents travellers from reaching their holiday destination. You should read the terms and conditions carefully and talk to your provider for advice.
You may like
Business
Dangote refinery, NNPC: More fuel stations increase pump price in Nigeria

Published
12 hours agoon
April 4, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
The price of Premium Motor Spirit, popularly known as fuel, has recorded a significant increase in the past days, which may worsen the economic hardship Nigerians face.
MRS, a filling station partner of Dangote Refinery, kicked off the latest fuel price increase when it adjusted its petrol pump to between N925 and N950 per litre in Lagos and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.
Similarly, other fuel marketers such as Empire Energy, Recoil, Juda Oil, Total, Emedab, and others also increased their fuel pump to between N950 and N970 per litre.
On Wednesday, the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited retail outlets also jacked up their fuel price to N950 per litre from N880 in Abuja.
Summarily, Ekwutosblog observed motorists will have to pay N70 more to buy a litre of petrol in the coming days.
The development comes amid the suspension of petrol product sales in Naira by Dangote Refinery. This follows the initiation of the naira-for-crude sale deal between Dangote Refinery and the federal government through NNPCL.
On Wednesday, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu announced a reshuffling of NNPCL.
Meanwhile, local oil prices are increasing in Nigeria, despite the decline in global crude prices. As of the time of this report, United States West Texas Intermediate was at $62.15 per barrel, down from above $65, while Brent crude stood at $65.42 per barrel, down from $72 last week.
News
Bandits ambush commercial vehicle on Kebbi-Sokoto road, kill passenger

Published
13 hours agoon
April 4, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
A group of armed bandits ambushed a commercial vehicle traveling from Kebbi to Sokoto on Thursday, killing one passenger in a deadly attack along the highway.
The incident, which occurred around 11:30 a.m., was revealed in a post by security analyst Zagazola Makama on X on Friday.
According to Makama, the attackers, riding on motorcycles, opened fire on the moving vehicle, hitting one of the passengers, Dan Gande Usman, in the head.
“The armed bandits struck along the Kebbi-Sokoto road, opening fire on a commercial vehicle and killing a passenger,” Makama wrote.
“The victim, Dan Gande Usman, succumbed to his injuries while being rushed to the hospital.”
Following the attack, troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA were deployed to the area to restore order and track down the perpetrators.
News
Four foreign activists face deportation from Germany after Berlin university sit-in

Published
15 hours agoon
April 4, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
Berlin’s immigration authorities have ordered four foreign residents to leave the country or risk deportation over their involvement in a university sit-in against Israel’s military offensive in Gaza.
Authorities have claimed the quartet — two from Ireland, one from Poland and one from the US — constitute a threat to public safety and should therefore leave Germany as soon as possible, according to a lawyer representing two of them.
They have been told to leave Germany by 21 April or face deportation.
Criminal and immigration lawyer Alexander Gorski said his clients had ongoing criminal proceedings for minor charges, such as trespassing, insulting police and resisting arrest related to their attendance at multiple pro-Gaza protests.
The four all participated in a pro-Palestinian protest at Berlin’s Free University in October 2024.
Berlin’s Department for Interior and Sport, which has responsibility over immigration, requested that local authorities terminate their residency in the middle of their proceedings.
Gorski said the decision was made despite hesitation from Berlin’s immigration office, which expressed concern that removing EU citizens would not be lawful. The Department for Interior and Sport ultimately overruled those objections.
Gorski said his legal team was unaware of what the activists had been charged with. “We haven’t received the file,” Gorski said.
The Department for Interior and Sport confirmed that it told the activists their residency permits were terminated, linking the decision to the university protest.
Back in October, a “violent and masked” group of people entered the university building, causing “significant property damage” including drawing graffiti related to the Israel-Hamas war as well as other crimes, the department said.
It added that criminal proceedings were currently ongoing and declined to provide further information, citing data protection laws.
A spokesperson for the German Federal Interior Ministry said on Wednesday that it did not have “comprehensive information” on the individual cases, confirming that Berlin authorities are responsible for and ultimately decide on each case.
It is unclear exactly what the four protesters were accused of doing during the protest, which was considered controversial.
The Free University in the immediate aftermath condemned the incident as a “violent attack” in which 40 masked individuals attempted to take over a campus building, “threatening employees verbally, and resorting to physical violence.” The university claimed IT equipment had been destroyed, rooms were wrecked and a Hamas symbol was spray-painted onto a wall.
The university’s general students’ committee said in October that the university had failed to “capture the complexity of events.” The committee alleges that the police presence on-site was “excessive” and that the law enforcement responded violently to the protesters in the broader context of suppressing similar demonstrations.
The Free University did not immediately respond to Euronews’ request for comment.
EU citizens’ deportation ‘highly unusual’
According to The Intercept, which first reported the story, only one of the two Irish nationals was brought before a court for calling a police officer a “fascist,” but was ultimately acquitted.
The four face separate allegations, the outlet reported, including shouting slogans such as “From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free” — a chant that has been banned, but German courts have so far delivered mixed rulings on its use.
The activists have accused Germany of “weaponising migration law” and rejected allegations supporting terrorist organisations and antisemitism as arbitrary.
The four have launched an appeal as well as a measure of interim relief in order to avoid imminent deportation, according to Gorski.
Gorski says it is “highly, highly unusual” that three EU citizens would be threatened with deportation from another member state without any criminal convictions.
Authorities said their decision was based on provisions which allow foreign nationals to be deported if they represent a threat to society.
The Department for Interior and Sport said a criminal conviction is not a prerequisite for deportation, although it would “be taken into account” when assessing the decision.
Freedom of movement within the European Union is a “a fundamental right of EU citizens”, a European Commission spokesperson said on Tuesday in response to a question on the activist’s case.
They declined to comment further on the matter, which the spokesperson said falls under the jurisdiction of internal security, which is for Germany to decide on.
In Ireland, the potential deportation of two Irish citizens has caused a stir, with the country’s Taoiseach Micheál Martin saying the issue was of “fundamental concern in terms of the freedom of movement rights that EU citizens have.”
The incident reflected a “completely different approach” to the Israel-Hamas war between Germany and Ireland, the leader said, adding he would be raising the issue with German authorities.
The Irish Foreign Office confirmed it was aware of reports of two of its citizens and was ready to provide consular assistance.
Euronews has reached out to the Polish and US embassies in Berlin for comment.

Anambra 2025: Defections Rocks APC as Party Heavyweights Quit Guber Race

Transfer: I’m yet to decide my future – Osimhen

The 50-year-old code that reshaped the world: Bill Gates on the ‘revolution’ that started Microsoft
Trending
- Trending5 months ago
NYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
- Business5 months ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
- Politics5 months ago
Mexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
- Politics5 months ago
Russia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
- Politics5 months ago
Putin invites 20 world leaders
- Politics1 year ago
Nigerian Senate passes Bill seeking the establishment of the South East Development Commission.