EVENTS
Anambra seminarian apprehended for allegedly defiling 10-year-old girl

Published
8 months agoon
By
Ekwutos Blog
The Anambra State Government, through the Ministry of Women and Social Welfare and Security Operatives, has apprehended a 34-year-old man, identified as Chukwudi Okoye, for defiling a 10-year-old girl.
MAGIC FM gathered that the suspect said to be a seminarian in the Anglican Communion, committed the act in the Amanuke community, Awka North Local Government Area in the state.
A statement on Tuesday by Chidimma Ikeanyionwu, the media aide to the state Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Welfare, Ify Obinabo, disclosed that the incident, which occurred sometime in July, was brought to the notice of the ministry in August, by a whistleblower.
Ikeanyionwu added that the commissioner, through the security operatives, launched a hunt for the suspect, apprehended and brought him for interrogation before the law enforcement agents.
The statement read in part, “The suspect, Chukwudi Okoye, 34, a native of Enugwu-Agidi, but resident at Amanuke, said he only fingered the survivor because his manhood could not enter her private parts.
“According to the 34-year-old suspect, he never intended to do such a despicable act but was lured into it when the 10-year-old lay on his bed. Although he denied penetrating the girl, he at the same time, pleaded for pardon because, according to him, it was the work of the devil.
“The suspect is said to be a seminarian in the Anglican Communion in Amanuke.
“Meanwhile, the 10-year-old victim stated that she was defiled on the day of her graduation ceremony when the suspect called her alongside her friend to come and wash plates for him.
“She explained that after she had finished washing the plates, he discharged her friend and asked her to play with him before taking her to the bed where he removed her clothes and had carnal knowledge of her.
“On why she did not tell anyone of the incident, the little girl said that she was seriously warned by the suspect never to tell anyone or he would deal with her.”
When interrogated, the grandmother of the victim said she only got to know of the incident after the girl became seriously ill, which was one week after the incident.
The statement added, “The grandmother explained that she took her granddaughter to the suspect’s house after she learnt that he was responsible for the act.
“She said it was in the process that the suspect decided to take the child to the hospital where they were subsequently referred to the Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu Teaching Hospital, Amaku Awka for further treatment.”
As of the time of this report, the suspect had been handed over to the police for further investigation and consequently charged the case to court.
In Anambra State, the Violence Against Persons (Prohibition) Act, which outlaws all forms of violence against women and girls, including rape, female circumcision and forceful ejection, was enacted in 2015 and offenders, on conviction, face life imprisonment or a maximum of 14-year jail term, depending on the age of the offender and type of violence committed.
Several persons have been arrested in Anambra on offences ranging from rape and defilement and many cases are at various courts waiting for prosecution.
You may like
Breaking News: Kanye West’s wife Bianca Censori has run away with one of his Maybachs after claiming she can no longer be with Ye because she believes Kanye West has a mental d!sorder.
My Ex-Husband Locked Up Me and My Children Inside Indiegoro Police Station in Aba after accusing me of allegedly K!dnnapping my Own Children That am Living With “— Nigerian Lady Irene Ikejeh breaks Down in Tears.
We’re working on new 2025 budget for Rivers – Sole Administrator Ibas
VIDEO: Police uncover body of site engineer murdered, buried by workers in Delta
I will not only win, I will win with an overwhelming victory because I have been tested and trusted, people have seen my trajectory, they know my past, they know where I am coming from and they know why I am in politics —– Valentine Chinedu Obigbo
Vice President, Kashim Shettima has arrived Dakar, Senegal, to represent President Bola Ahmed Tinubu at the country’s 65th Independence Anniversary.
EVENTS
Lagos Court Jails Man Three Months for Non-Declaration of $30,000 at Airport

Published
5 hours agoon
April 3, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
Justice Deinde I. Dipeolu of the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on Wednesday, April 2, 2025, convicted and sentenced Okunfulure Olusola Steve to three Months imprisonment for money laundering.
The convict was arrested on March 28, 2025 at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja, Lagos by operatives of the Nigeria Customs Service, NCS, for false currency declaration to the tune of $30,0000.
The NCS had, on Friday, March 28, 2025, handed him over to the Lagos Zonal Directorate 2 of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Okotie Eboh, Ikoyi, Lagos for further investigations.
Consequently, he was arraigned on Wednesday on one-count charge bordering on money laundering.
The count reads: “That you, Okunfulure Olusola Steve, on the 28th day of March, 2025 in Lagos, within the Jurisdiction of this Honorable Court, failed to make a declaration of the sum of $20,000 (Twenty Thousand United States Dollars) to the Nigerian Customs Service at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja, and thereby committed an offence Contrary to and Punishable under Section 3(5) of the Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022.”
The defendant pleaded “guilty” to the charge when it was read to him.
Following his guilty plea, prosecution counsel, C.C. Okezie called on Felicia Paul, an operative of the EFCC, to review the facts of the case.
Paul, while giving details of how she knew the defendant, told the court that the NCS handed him over to the Lagos Zonal Directorate 2 of the EFCC on Friday, March 28, 2025.
Led in evidence by the prosecution counsel, Paul also told the court that the defendant was arrested with the sum of $30,000, which he failed to declare. She further told the court that “ his statement was recorded under caution and was served with the bail conditions.”
Thereafter, she identified the defendant’s statement, the handing-over note from the NCS, the arresting officer’s statement as well as the sum of $30,000(Thirty Thousand US Dollars) to the EFCC.
Okozie then sought to tender, in evidence, the documents.
Justice Dipeolu admitted and marked them as exhibits 1,2,3 and 4 and held that “ I have read the exhibits, the statement of the defendant, and I found him guilty. He is accordingly convicted as charged.”
Okezie thereafter prayed that the undeclared sum of $20,000 be forfeited to the Federal Government of Nigeria and that the defendant be jailed.
Defence counsel, Joel Ogundere, while addressing the court, said that the defendant “is a first-time offender and is not aware of the disclosure policy . He is a family man and has responsibilities. His bank account shows the legitimacy of the funds.”
He also prayed the court to “ magnanimously waive any prison sentence”, adding that the convict would not mind forfeiting the sum of money or pay a fine.
Justice Dipeolu convicted and sentenced the defendant to three months imprisonment, with effect from the date of his arrest on March 28,2025. The Judge also ordered that the money be forfeited to the Federal Government of Nigeria.
Steve, a departing passenger on Delta Airline to Atlanta, United States had declared that he was not in possession of any sum of money in foreign currency but in Naira, while being profiled at the Currency Declaration Desk.
However, the sum of $30,000 undeclared was found on him during a search conducted by operatives of the NCS.
He was subsequently handed over to the Lagos Zonal Directorate 2 of the EFCC for further investigations, a development that led to his arraignment and conviction.
EVENTS
Nigerians in US to protest at White House over emergency rule in Rivers State

Published
10 hours agoon
April 3, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
A coalition of Nigerian activists in the United States, under the Democratic Movement, DM, has called on global leaders, the United Nations and the African Union to intervene in what it described as a blatant attack on democracy in Rivers State.
The pro-democracy movement also announced a planned rally at the United States White House to protest the declaration of emergency rule in the oil-rich state.
The coalition is demanding the reversal of the emergency rule imposed on Rivers State by President Bola Tinubu, the reinstatement of Governor Siminalayi Fubara, and the restoration of the Rivers State House of Assembly.
The group also called on President Donald Trump to engage with Nigerian authorities and call for the immediate restoration of constitutional order.
A statement, on Thursday by the Coalition, signed by Cosmos Achief, its President, said the protest to the US white house aims to draw global attention to the “direct assault on democracy and the will of the people.”
The statement read, “We cannot sit back while an elected governor is removed, an entire legislature is suspended, and an unelected administrator is imposed. These are dangerous precedents that threaten Nigeria’s democracy,” he said.
The coalition said the protest will take place in Washington, D.C., with demonstrators marching to the White House and the U.S. Department of State to submit petitions demanding international intervention.
“The world needs to see what is happening in Rivers State. A democratically elected government has been suspended under the guise of emergency rule. We are urging President Donald Trump to engage with Nigerian authorities and call for the immediate restoration of constitutional order,” the statement added.
“The president must understand that his actions could lead to serious diplomatic consequences. This move is a step toward dictatorship, and Nigeria risks facing international sanctions if democratic principles are not respected,” Achief warned.
The demonstration is expected to draw the attention of Nigerians in the diaspora, civil rights activists, and supporters of democracy who share concerns about governance in Nigeria.
EVENTS
Former President Muhammadu Buhari sends his heartfelt condolences to the family of the of Alhaji Abbas Sunusi, Galadiman Kano, who passed away yesterday.

Published
1 day agoon
April 2, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
Former President Muhammadu Buhari has extended his heartfelt condolences to the family of Alhaji Abbas Sunusi, the Galadiman Kano, who passed away yesterday.
In a gesture of solidarity, Buhari also offered his sympathies to the Kano Emirate Council, the government, and the people of Kano State.
This move is reminiscent of Buhari’s previous condolences to the people and government of Kano State, following the passing of notable figures such as Alhaji Ibrahim El-Yakub, a former Federal Commissioner of Water Resources

Breaking News: Kanye West’s wife Bianca Censori has run away with one of his Maybachs after claiming she can no longer be with Ye because she believes Kanye West has a mental d!sorder.

My Ex-Husband Locked Up Me and My Children Inside Indiegoro Police Station in Aba after accusing me of allegedly K!dnnapping my Own Children That am Living With “— Nigerian Lady Irene Ikejeh breaks Down in Tears.

We’re working on new 2025 budget for Rivers – Sole Administrator Ibas
Trending
- Trending5 months ago
NYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
- Business5 months ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
- Politics5 months ago
Mexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
- Politics5 months ago
Russia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
- Politics5 months ago
Putin invites 20 world leaders
- Politics1 year ago
Nigerian Senate passes Bill seeking the establishment of the South East Development Commission.