Connect with us

Trending

At least 400,000 people trapped by Israel’s latest Gaza offensive, says Unrwa

Published

on

Spread the love

Hundreds of thousands of civilians in Gaza remain trapped by the latest Israeli offensive centred on Jabaliya refugee camp, according to UN agencies and human rights groups.

“At least 400,000 people are trapped in the area,” Philippe Lazzarini, the head of the UN Palestinian refugee agency, Unrwa, posted on X on Wednesday, amid witness accounts of bodies lying uncollected in the streets because of the renewed fighting.

“Recent evacuation orders from the Israeli authorities are forcing people to flee again & again, especially from Jabaliya camp,” added Lazzarini. “Many are refusing because they know too well that no place anywhere in Gaza is safe.”

The Israeli military says the large-scale raid, now in its fifth day, is intended to stop Hamas fighters staging further attacks from Jabaliya and to prevent them regrouping.

Lazzarini said some Unrwa shelters and services were being forced to shut down for the first time since the war began and that with almost no basic supplies available, hunger was spreading again in northern Gaza.

“This recent military operation also threatens the implementation of the second phase of the #polio vaccination campaign for children,” he said.

Israel did not immediately comment on Lazzarini’s remarks. Israeli authorities have previously said they facilitate food deliveries to Gaza despite challenging conditions.

Despite a year of relentless Israeli attacks on Gaza, and intermittent declarations by the IDF and other officials claiming to have defeated Hamas, Israeli tanks and infantry attacked northern Gaza for a third time in force earlier this week, claiming the action was necessary to prevent Hamas “regrouping”.

Along with evacuation orders, the IDF has ordered the closure once again of several hospitals in northern Gaza, including the Kamal Adwan, Indonesia and al-Awda hospitals. The Al Mezan Center for Human Rights described the situation as “deja vu” on social media, adding: “We all know the horrors that follow such orders.”

Among those raising the alarm has been the international medical group Médecins Sans Frontières, whose staff described the situation in northern Gaza.

“All of a sudden, I was told that we had to move from the north,” said Mahmoud, an MSF guard, who left Jabaliya at night to find refuge at the MSF guest house in Gaza City.

“We left our home in despair, under bombs, missiles and artillery. It was very, very difficult. I would prefer to die than to be displaced to the south; my home is here, and I do not want to leave.”

Sarah Vuylsteke, an MSF project coordinator in Gaza, said: “The latest move to forcefully and violently push thousands of people from northern Gaza to the south is turning the north into a lifeless desert while aggravating the situation in the south.

“Access to water, healthcare and safety is already almost nonexistent, and the thought of more people fitting into this space is impossible to imagine,” she said. “People have been subjected to endless displacement and relentless bombing for the past 12 months. Enough is enough. This must stop now.”

The UN’s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said hundreds of thousands of Palestinians and dozens of humanitarian facilities had been affected by the Israeli military’s latest forced evacuations across north, central and southern Gaza.

Between Saturday and Monday, evacuations orders were in place for several areas in the north of the Palestinian territory as well as areas in central Deir al-Balah and southern Khan Younis.

“There are growing risks that humanitarian access will be further constrained, particularly between southern and northern Gaza,” OCHA warned.

Related: Israeli military deploys fourth division in Lebanon ground offensive

At least 18 people were killed in the latest Israeli military strikes on Gaza overnight, Palestinian medics said on Wednesday, including five children and two women. Two strikes hit tents for displaced people in the urban Nuseirat and Bureij refugee camps in central Gaza.

The bodies of nine people, including three children, were brought to the al-Aqsa hospital in nearby Deir al-Balah. An Associated Press journalist saw the bodies at the morgue.

In northern Gaza, an Israeli strike hit a family home in the Jabaliya refugee camp, killing at least nine people, according to the Civil Defence, a rescue agency operating under the Hamas-run government.

The dead were taken to the al-Ahli hospital, which said two women and two children were among those killed. Footage shared by the Civil Defence showed first responders recovering dead bodies and body parts from under the rubble.

The latest deaths brought the number of Palestinians killed in Gaza by Israeli operations since October 2023 to 42,010 with a further 97,720 injured, according to Gaza’s ministry of health.

Trending

Police arrests man for stabbing Emir Sanusi’s guard to death during Eid prayer

Published

on

Spread the love

 

The Kano State Police Command has apprehended a 20-year-old suspect, Usman Sagiru, from Sharifai Quarters, in connection with the deadly stabbing of a vigilante member who was part of Emir Muhammadu Sanusi II’s entourage after the Eid prayers on Sunday, March 30.

The incident took place around 12:40 pm as worshippers were leaving the Eid prayer ground. According to police reports, Sagiru, along with other suspects who remain at large, attacked the vigilantes, fatally stabbing Surajo Rabiu, a member from Sabon Titi Jaba Quarters.

Rabiu later succumbed to his injuries, while another vigilante, Aminu Suleman from Kofar Mata Quarters, sustained severe injuries and is currently receiving medical care at the Murtala Mohammed Specialist Hospital.

Authorities have launched a thorough investigation to apprehend the remaining suspects involved in the attack. As part of the ongoing probe, Shamakin Kano, Alhaji Wada Isyaku, has also been invited for questioning.

The Kano State Police Command has reiterated its firm ban on Durbar celebrations, warning that any violations will result in legal action. The authorities emphasized their commitment to a zero-tolerance policy against thuggery (Daba) and any activities that could disrupt public order.

“We appeal to the public to stay calm and cooperate with the police as we strive to maintain peace and security in Kano State,” the police statement concluded.

Continue Reading

Trending

My Ex-Husband Locked Up Me and My Children Inside Indiegoro Police Station in Aba after accusing me of allegedly K!dnnapping my Own Children That am Living With “— Nigerian Lady Irene Ikejeh breaks Down in Tears.

Published

on

Spread the love

Irene Ikejah, has accused her ex-husband of orchestrating her arrest and detention at the Ndiegoro Police Station in Aba after falsely accusing her of kidnapping her own children.

In an emotional outburst, Ikejah recounted how her former spouse leveled serious allegations against her, claiming she was involved in organ harvesting and rituals involving their children.

The ordeal began when she was arrested in Aba and taken to Zone 9 Police Headquarters in Umuahia, Abia State. After providing her statement and presenting her children—whom her ex-husband accused her of harming—the authorities granted her bail and scheduled a follow-up appointment in two weeks.

However, shortly after her release, another group of officers, allegedly from the Area Command in Aba, re-arrested her outside Zone 9. She was subsequently taken to the Central Police Station (CPS) in Aba, where she was detained further. The delay persisted until a court bailiff from the High Court in Aba served a detention order for both her and her children.

 

According to reports, the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) of CPS Aba declined to keep the children in custody due to concerns about the environment and allowed their grandmother to take them home.

However, Irene Ikejah was held at Ndiegoro Police Station, where she remains in detention until the next morning.

Continue Reading

Trending

VIDEO: Police uncover body of site engineer murdered, buried by workers in Delta

Published

on

Spread the love

The Delta State Police Command has uncovered the body of 38-year-old Chigozie Udalor, a site engineer, killed and buried in a shallow grave allegedly by his employees.

This was made known in a video statement shared by the state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Bright Edafe, on Thursday.

Udalor, who was employed by his cousin to oversee a construction project, had hired four young men from Benue State.

On December 10, 2024, the workers reportedly conspired, attacking Udalor with a hammer and striking his head.

 

The suspects then buried his body at the construction site in a desperate attempt to cover up the crime.

The statement read, “A sad story of a 38-year-old man who was employed by his cousin as a site engineer. The site engineer, Chigozie Udalor, employed four boys all from Benue State.

“On 10th December 2024, they conspired and murdered him at the site using a hammer to hit his head and buried him in a shallow grave there at the site. Man’s inhumanity to man.

“His body was exhumed yesterday 2nd April 2025 after arresting two of the suspects.”

Click the link below to watch the video:

https://x.com/MobilePunch/status/1907763983546830849?t=wJj_Gp-BvsxlROJZbpAQ9w&s=19

Continue Reading

Trending