Connect with us

Politics

Belarus’ Lukashenko to face only pre-approved challengers in presidential election

Published

on

In this photo released by Belarusian Presidential Press Service on Thursday, Oct. 31, 2024, Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko speaks in Minsk. © AP Photo
Spread the love

Belarus’ election commission on Monday allowed only seven politicians loyal to leader Alexander Lukashenko to start collecting signatures to oppose him in upcoming presidential elections.

Lukashenko, who has led the country for over 30 years, is set to seek a seventh term in January.

The authoritarian ruler faced criticism after he was elected in 2020 in a vote that was rejected by the country’s opposition and the West as rigged with fraud.

The election results triggered nationwide protests and resulted in the arrest of around 65,000 people — many of them opposition figures.

Human rights groups say Belarus holds around 1,300 political prisoners who are denied adequate healthcare and are often forbidden from contacting their families while in prison.

Last week, the country’s election commission registered an initiative group for Lukashenko to prepare for the upcoming election.

Sergei Syrankov of the Communist Party, Oleg Gaidukevich, the leader of the Liberal Democratic Party, and former Interior Ministry spokeswoman Olga Chеmоdanova are three of the seven candidates chosen to start collecting signatures.

The candidates are each required to collect at least 100,000 signatures by 6 December in order to qualify to run in the race.

“Those are alternative candidates, and I believe they just want to safeguard the incumbent,” Lukashenko said of his challengers.

The commission rejected two opposition politicians who requested to register initiative groups.

Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya, a key figure of the Belarusian opposition who is currently living in exile, has denounced the upcoming elections as a farce.

“This is not an election but an imitation of an electoral process held amid terror when alternative candidates and observers aren’t allowed,” Tsikhanouskaya said.

In February, when the country held parliamentary and local elections, independent Western observers were not invited to monitor the vote for the first time since the country’s independence in 1991.

Politics

All Soludo Support Group (ASSG) has made a significant donation of N30million to Governor Chukwuma Charles Soludo, demonstrating their confidence in his leadership and commitment to his re-election bid.

Published

on

Spread the love

The All Soludo Support Group (ASSG) has made a significant donation of N30million to Governor Chukwuma Charles Soludo, demonstrating their confidence in his leadership and commitment to his re-election bid.

This donation is specifically intended to cover the cost of the APGA governorship candidate form, and it’s a testament to the governor’s popularity and the group’s enthusiasm for his continued leadership.

According to ekwutosblog, this donation is a significant boost to Soludo’s campaign, reflecting the widespread support he enjoys among his constituents.

Governor Soludo’s administration has been praised for its development initiatives and human-oriented policies, which have transformed Awka into a world-class capital city.

The ASSG’s donation is the latest in a series of endorsements and support for Governor Soludo’s re-election bid.

Continue Reading

Politics

We’re working on new 2025 budget for Rivers – Sole Administrator Ibas

Published

on

Spread the love

The Sole Administrator of Rivers State, Retired Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas, has announced that a 2025 budget is being prepared to enhance healthcare delivery, education, agriculture, and infrastructure.

Speaking on Thursday at the Government House in Port Harcourt, while receiving a delegation of the Rivers State caucus at the National Assembly, Ibas stated that the anticipated budget would also focus on creating more employment opportunities for the people of Rivers State and advancing technological development in critical areas of public life.

The delegation was led by Senator Barinada Mpigi, representing Rivers South-East District.

Other members included Senator Allwell Onyesoh and the Minority Leader of the House of Representatives, Hon. Kingsley Chinda. The rest are honourables Dumnamene Dekor, Solomon Bob, Cyril Godwin Hart, Blessing Amadi, Felix Nwaeke, Kelechi Nwogu, and Victor Obuzor.

The sole administrator emphasised that since assuming office, he has remained committed to restoring law and order in Rivers State, with the support of security agencies.

Ibas reiterated his administration’s commitment to making Rivers State a model of peace among states, with a stable economy and an environment where citizens can pursue their livelihoods without fear or intimidation.

He highlighted the importance of the lawmakers’ support as key representatives of Rivers State in the National Assembly, calling for their assistance in securing the necessary resources and legislative backing to bring his administration’s initiatives to fruition.

He said: “Since the Supreme Court verdict on the state’s budget, we have acted swiftly and decided to put together a new budget that reflects our commitment to healthcare, education, social services, and continued infrastructural development.

“We have worked diligently to ensure that the process is transparent, inclusive, and, most importantly, expedited.

“Our goal is to ensure that we do not lose any more time in making the necessary investments that will improve the lives of citizens.

“The budget, which is being finalised, focuses on creating job opportunities and investing in key sectors such as agriculture, infrastructure, and technology.

“We understand the urgency of this initiative, and we are committed to ensuring that it is implemented without delay.”

According to Ibas, the people of Rivers State have demonstrated resilience in the ongoing efforts to restore peace and uphold the rule of law.

He assured that his administration remains committed to achieving lasting peace in the state.

In his remarks, Senator Mpigi assured that members of the National Assembly caucus would support all efforts aimed at bringing development to the state.

Notable National Assembly members absent at the meeting include the immediate past Deputy Governor, Senator Ipalibo Harry Banigo, and Hon. Boma Goodhead.

Continue Reading

Politics

I will not only win, I will win with an overwhelming victory because I have been tested and trusted, people have seen my trajectory, they know my past, they know where I am coming from and they know why I am in politics —– Valentine Chinedu Obigbo

Published

on

Spread the love

 

During a meeting with the APC Leaders in Anambra central, the Anambra governor aspirant for APC affirmative stated that he is going to win the Election Anambra state with an overwhelming victory.

He also mentioned that with him, Anambra State must return to its glory as light of the nation, going by his slogan “Ka Anambra Chawapu”.

He promised to make God proud and use Anambra state to set standards as what good governance ought to be when he assumes the position as Governor of Anambra.

 

Continue Reading

Trending