Connect with us

EVENTS

Biafra Independence Day: Uwazuruike Group Berates Some South East Politicians For Working Against Struggle

Published

on

Spread the love

Biafra Independence Day: Uwazuruike Group Berates Some South East Politicians For Working Against Struggle

Thursdayy, May 24, 2023

Biafra Independence Movement, BIM, on Monday, berated some Igbo leaders and politicians in south east region who spoke from both sides of their mouth in order to curry favour from the Federal government thereby working against the overall interests of their people.

These class of Igbo leaders and politicians had in the past betrayed Biafra cause, and were classified by BIM/MASSOB as saboteurs.

The saboteurs according to the Biafra leading movement , BIM/ MASSOB, are those Igbos that are allowed to win Federal government appointments or contracts by criticizing their own Igbo kinsmen.

Chief Achike Udenwa, an accounts clerk who later became the governor of Imo state in an interview on Newswatch magazine edition of July 23, 2001, said ”the mere mention of Biafra or flying the flag was a treasonable felony’.

But a Chief magistrate court in Benin city had ruled in favour of MASSOB by declaring that Ralph Uwazuruike-led MASSOB is a non-violent organization, and directed the government, not to arrest or detain MASSOB members on similar charges of treasonable felony’.

Then, if the ruling of the Chief magistrate court in Benin is anything to go by, the letter of the DPP lagos state might confound Udenwa, an accounts clerk.

Recall that the Director of public prosecution (DPP) had in a strong worded letter informed the court that MASSOB members under Chief Ralph Uwazuruike are innocent and harmless members of a peaceful organization, that does not constitute a threat to the state or Federal government.

‘The Chief magistrate also gave his ruling that, ‘the mere asking or flying the Biafra flag can never amount to treasonable felony’.

It was on the strength of the said letter by the Director of public prosecution
( DPP), in lagos state that our detained MASSOB members were immediately released of the phoney charges of treasonable felony.

An accounts clerk, Achike Udenwa who does not know anything about what the law said concerning self -determination now claimed to know better than a Director of public prosecution and a Chief magistrate.

Udenwa also chaired a weekly security meeting at the government house, Owerri, the Imo state capital, on March 28, 2003, where he directed mobile policemen to kill the members of MASSOB on sight as the only condition to secure his second term bid.

On March 29, 2003, according to the statement, the bloody testy mobile policemen laid ambush at Amuro town in Onuimo LGA along the Umulolo -Okigwe road against MASSOB members.

Hundreds of the members of MASSOB now BIM/MASSOB were slaughtered like cattles by the trigger happy mobile policemen in Owerri, Imo state.

Today, the Amaifeke born Accounts clerk (Achike Udenwa) who had already made himself a willing tool to the powers -that-be in Abuja has now been used, abandoned and dumped by his masters.

Udenwa and Mr. Peter Obi have now made history for our children children’s children as governors in the entire Eastern region who masterminded the killing of their own brothers and sisters for their political interest .

Also, the president of Odenigbo Forum, Chief Martin Okeke, who had worked as an errand boy to president Olusegun Obasanjo, in an interview with ThisDay newspaper of 2002 maliciously denigrated Dim Ojukwu.

On May 11, 2006, the presidency under Obasanjo, in a major offensive had deployed about 2000 mobile policemen to rout out the members of MASSOB in Onitsha, Anambra state.

Mr. Peter Obi, executive governor, Anambra state, had said to newsmen in Awka, on May 8, 2006, “he would not mind the hoodlums which he mentioned NARTO, AVS and MASSOB members being shot on sight”

Several people, Mrs Chioma Awah, a pregnant woman and including pupils at Awada primary schools, Obosi, Iyiowa Odekpe, near Onitsha were gruesomely shot dead as a result of this directive.

Chief Chekwas Okorie, a one time chieftain of All progressives grand alliance ( Apga) was not left out as he also insulted Ojukwu in 2008 until MASSOB threatened to arrest him, strip him and parade him naked on the streets and major markets in Igbo land without inflicting any bodily injury on him.

These class of politicians are ready to sell their brothers for thirty pieces of silver; they are our elected members of the Senate or House of Representatives who were awarded contracts only for them to abandon such projects to the detriment of their own people, etc.

These set of people whom the Federal government are sure never criticized their performances in the past and will never criticize the administration even in the nearest future.

The Federal government usually relied on these class of Igbo leaders to quieten any complaint of marginalization by their Igbo kinsmen.

It should not be surprising to hear from one political party or an illustrious son like the former president general of apex Igbo socio-cultural organisation, Ohaneze, Chief John Nnia Nwodo, said in The Sun newspaper edition of December 15, 2017,’ ‘that Igbos are not marginalized in the scheme of things in Nigerian politics or Igbos should forget Biafra’

Some of them would say, We’re interested in Igbo president, and a restructured Nigeria, not Biafra – Ohaneze Ndigbo; The Sun newspaper edition of August 12, 2020 .

He would tell us that Biafra is dead or one silly comment or the other against Igbo cause just to curry favour in order to win federal contracts to the detriment of the Igbo people.

“Some of the self acclaimed Igbo leaders would even dodge the press outrightly to avoid being labelled as supporting the Igbo cause”, Mocha said.

Through their smart criticisms, the Yoruba media had successfully made these calibre of igbo leaders and politicians as friends and it had become fashionable among the leaders not to mention anything as Igbo marginalization during any public function so as to be in the good book of records with the government.

In a press release signed by Director of Information of MASSOB, Mazi Chris Mocha, at Ikem-Ivite community, in Anambra East council area, on Monday, to mark 23rd year anniversary of New Biafra, said,
“some igbo leaders including Chief John Nnia Nwodo who hoped to be appointed into the new government of Ahmed Bola Tinubu usually took their time to denude all their public speeches of pro- igbo sentiments.

EVENTS

National police week: Imo CP engages stakeholders on security partnership

Published

on

Spread the love

The Imo State Police Command has advocated the need for stakeholders to continue engaging relevant agencies with a view to strengthening the fight against criminal activities in the State.

The call was made by the State Police Commissioner, Aboki Dajuma during a security meeting with stakeholders in marking the 2025 National Police Week.

The event, with the theme “Strengthening Collaborative Security Efforts for a Safer Imo State,” was aimed at enhancing collaboration between security agencies and the public in ensuring public peace.

Key stakeholders across the State, including Traditional Rulers, Heads of Security Agencies in the State, representatives of Religious Leaders and other relevant bodies were in attendance.

The Commissioner of Police emphasized the importance of synergy among security agencies, highlighting recent successes such as dismantling sit-at-home threats, arresting over 2,000 suspects, recovering 65 firearms, 15 stolen vehicles, and rescuing 12 kidnapped victims.

He also acknowledged the support of Governor Hope Uzodinma, who he said has been instrumental in the achievements recorded so far.

In his remark, Gen. Joseph Ogbonna, rtd, representing the Governor, commended the police and other security agencies for their role in restoring peace to troubled areas in the State.

He reaffirmed the Government’s commitment to supporting security agencies and stressed the importance of continued collaboration to ensure lasting peace across the State.

Presentations at the meeting focused on community policing and intelligence-sharing, with the common phrase, “See Something, Say Something”, as an effective tool for community policing.

 

Speakers emphasized the crucial role of citizens in supporting the police and enhancing security.

Continue Reading

EVENTS

Lagos Court Jails Man Three Months for Non-Declaration of $30,000 at Airport

Published

on

Spread the love

 

Justice Deinde I. Dipeolu of the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on Wednesday, April 2, 2025, convicted and sentenced Okunfulure Olusola Steve to three Months imprisonment for money laundering.

The convict was arrested on March 28, 2025 at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja, Lagos by operatives of the Nigeria Customs Service, NCS, for false currency declaration to the tune of $30,0000.

The NCS had, on Friday, March 28, 2025, handed him over to the Lagos Zonal Directorate 2 of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Okotie Eboh, Ikoyi, Lagos for further investigations.

Consequently, he was arraigned on Wednesday on one-count charge bordering on money laundering.

The count reads: “That you, Okunfulure Olusola Steve, on the 28th day of March, 2025 in Lagos, within the Jurisdiction of this Honorable Court, failed to make a declaration of the sum of $20,000 (Twenty Thousand United States Dollars) to the Nigerian Customs Service at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja, and thereby committed an offence Contrary to and Punishable under Section 3(5) of the Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022.”

The defendant pleaded “guilty” to the charge when it was read to him.

Following his guilty plea, prosecution counsel, C.C. Okezie called on Felicia Paul, an operative of the EFCC, to review the facts of the case.

 

Paul, while giving details of how she knew the defendant, told the court that the NCS handed him over to the Lagos Zonal Directorate 2 of the EFCC on Friday, March 28, 2025.

Led in evidence by the prosecution counsel, Paul also told the court that the defendant was arrested with the sum of $30,000, which he failed to declare. She further told the court that “ his statement was recorded under caution and was served with the bail conditions.”

Thereafter, she identified the defendant’s statement, the handing-over note from the NCS, the arresting officer’s statement as well as the sum of $30,000(Thirty Thousand US Dollars) to the EFCC.

Okozie then sought to tender, in evidence, the documents.

Justice Dipeolu admitted and marked them as exhibits 1,2,3 and 4 and held that “ I have read the exhibits, the statement of the defendant, and I found him guilty. He is accordingly convicted as charged.”

Okezie thereafter prayed that the undeclared sum of $20,000 be forfeited to the Federal Government of Nigeria and that the defendant be jailed.

Defence counsel, Joel Ogundere, while addressing the court, said that the defendant “is a first-time offender and is not aware of the disclosure policy . He is a family man and has responsibilities. His bank account shows the legitimacy of the funds.”

He also prayed the court to “ magnanimously waive any prison sentence”, adding that the convict would not mind forfeiting the sum of money or pay a fine.

Justice Dipeolu convicted and sentenced the defendant to three months imprisonment, with effect from the date of his arrest on March 28,2025. The Judge also ordered that the money be forfeited to the Federal Government of Nigeria.

Steve, a departing passenger on Delta Airline to Atlanta, United States had declared that he was not in possession of any sum of money in foreign currency but in Naira, while being profiled at the Currency Declaration Desk.

However, the sum of $30,000 undeclared was found on him during a search conducted by operatives of the NCS.

He was subsequently handed over to the Lagos Zonal Directorate 2 of the EFCC for further investigations, a development that led to his arraignment and conviction.

Continue Reading

EVENTS

Nigerians in US to protest at White House over emergency rule in Rivers State

Published

on

Spread the love

A coalition of Nigerian activists in the United States, under the Democratic Movement, DM, has called on global leaders, the United Nations and the African Union to intervene in what it described as a blatant attack on democracy in Rivers State.

The pro-democracy movement also announced a planned rally at the United States White House to protest the declaration of emergency rule in the oil-rich state.

The coalition is demanding the reversal of the emergency rule imposed on Rivers State by President Bola Tinubu, the reinstatement of Governor Siminalayi Fubara, and the restoration of the Rivers State House of Assembly.

The group also called on President Donald Trump to engage with Nigerian authorities and call for the immediate restoration of constitutional order.

A statement, on Thursday by the Coalition, signed by Cosmos Achief, its President, said the protest to the US white house aims to draw global attention to the “direct assault on democracy and the will of the people.”

The statement read, “We cannot sit back while an elected governor is removed, an entire legislature is suspended, and an unelected administrator is imposed. These are dangerous precedents that threaten Nigeria’s democracy,” he said.

The coalition said the protest will take place in Washington, D.C., with demonstrators marching to the White House and the U.S. Department of State to submit petitions demanding international intervention.

“The world needs to see what is happening in Rivers State. A democratically elected government has been suspended under the guise of emergency rule. We are urging President Donald Trump to engage with Nigerian authorities and call for the immediate restoration of constitutional order,” the statement added.

“The president must understand that his actions could lead to serious diplomatic consequences. This move is a step toward dictatorship, and Nigeria risks facing international sanctions if democratic principles are not respected,” Achief warned.

The demonstration is expected to draw the attention of Nigerians in the diaspora, civil rights activists, and supporters of democracy who share concerns about governance in Nigeria.

Continue Reading

Trending