Tech
Chinese unicorn Moonshot AI updates Kimi chatbot to offer capabilities akin to OpenAI o1

Published
6 months agoon
By
Ekwutos BlogKimi Chat Explore is touted by Moonshot AI as being able to ‘think and reflect’ in response to user queries
Chinese artificial intelligence (AI) firm Moonshot AIon Friday rolled out the updated version of its conversational chatbot, Kimi Chat, that has improved problem-solving capabilities, akin to the advances shown by the new OpenAI o1 large language model (LLM).
Kimi Chat Explore is touted by Moonshot AI as being able to “think and reflect” in response to user queries and also has an expanded online search capacity, the Beijing-based start-up said in a statement.
The company claims its updated chatbot can now plan and carry out multi-step tasks, recognise mistakes and come up with solutions. Those capabilities are similar to what OpenAI’s o1 LLM provides. LLMs are the technology underpinning generative AI applications like ChatGPT.
Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team.
Previewed last month, OpenAI o1 represents a so-called generative pre-trained transformer model, designed “to reason through complex tasks and solve harder problems than previous models in science, coding and maths”, according to the San Francisco-based company.

The landing page of Moonshot AI’s Kimi Chat Explore. Photo: Weibo
Kimi Chat Explore is now capable of searching and analysing more than 500 online pages per query before providing a response. That is 10 times more than the existing 50-page limit of the older Kimi Chat application.
In one example cited by Moonshot AI, Kimi Chat Explore was asked to compare returns from investing in gold and stocks of Chinese electric vehicle maker BYD. Instead of having a user go through various steps to manually collect stock and gold prices, tabulate prices on a spreadsheet and make a calculation to arrive at an answer, the firm’s updated chatbot performed all the relevant tasks itself to come up with a response.
The development of Kimi Chat Explore appears to represent one of the fresh opportunities hinted last month by Moonshot AI founder and chief executive Yang Zhilin after OpenAI o1 was previewed online.
“Going forward, you may see AI capable of performing tasks taking minutes or even hours, switching between different modes with increasingly strong reasoning capabilities,” Yang said at an event last month in the northern port city of Tianjin, near the Chinese capital Beijing. “I believe these are very important trends in the future development of AI.”
That would augur well for the prospects of Moonshot AI’s chatbot efforts.
The company’s earlier-released Kimi Chat was ranked the third-most popular Chinese AI app in September by AIcpb.com, a website that tracks the popularity of AI products worldwide.
Ranked ahead of Kimi Chat in the same period were ByteDance‘s Douban and Baidu‘s Wenxiaoyan, formerly known as Ernie Bot.
After receiving initial major backing from Alibaba Group Holding, Moonshot AI has seen its valuation soar to US$3.3 billion on the back of Tencent Holdings‘ participation in the firm’s recent US$300-million funding round, according to a Bloomberg report in August. Alibaba owns the South China Morning Post.
More Articles from SCMP
SCMP Best Bets: Jewel set to sparkle on cracking Sha Tin card
PLA Rocket Force scientist stripped of political advisory post amid China’s corruption crackdown
Hong Kong pilots explain how they handle geomagnetic storm risks after Cathay flight diverted
You may like
I did only traditional marriage. Pls Atanda, how can i get a marriage c£rtificate that will be acceptable at the £mbassy?
It’s wrong to check suspect’s phone – Ebonyi Police Commissioner
PRESIDENT TINUBU CELEBRATES DAME FASHOLA ON 60TH BIRTHDAY
Ugwanyi, Ikpeazu, Shehu Sani, others screened for ambassadorial appointments
Trump tariffs: 50 nations seek new US trade talks — official
Peter Obi Is weak and Spineless , That’s why he couldn’t field any candidate for the November Anambra Election – Noble Eyisi (Former Unizik President
Tech
The 50-year-old code that reshaped the world: Bill Gates on the ‘revolution’ that started Microsoft

Published
2 days agoon
April 4, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
Even as he grows older, Microsoft founder Bill Gates still fondly remembers the catalytic computer code he wrote 50 years ago that opened up a new frontier in technology.
Although the code that Gates printed out on a teletype machine may look crude compared to what’s powering today’s artificial intelligence (AI) platforms, it played a critical role in creating Microsoft in April 1975 – a golden anniversary that the Redmond, Washington, company will celebrate on Friday.
Gates, 69, set the stage for that jubilee with a blog post reminiscing on how he and his old high school friend – the late Paul Allen – scrambled to create the world’s first “software factory” after reading an article in the January 1975 issue of Popular Electronics magazine about the Altair 8800, a minicomputer that would be powered by a tiny chip made by the then-obscure technology company, Intel.
The article inspired Gates, who was just a freshman at Harvard University, and Allen to call Altair’s maker, Micro Instrumentation and Telemetry Systems, and promise the company’s CEO Ed Roberts they had developed software that would enable consumers to control the hardware.
There was just one hitch: Gates and Allen hadn’t yet come up with the code they promised Roberts.
‘The coolest code I’ve ever written’
Gates and Allen tackled the challenge by latching onto the BASIC computer language that had been developed in 1964 at Dartmouth College, but they still had to figure out a way to make the technology compatible with the forthcoming Altair computer, even though they didn’t even have a prototype of the machine.
After spending two months working on the program with little sleep, Gates finished the code that became the basis for the Altair’s first operating system.
“That code remains the coolest I’ve ever written,” Gates wrote in his blog post, which includes an option to download the original programme.
The code would go on to provide the foundation for a business that would make personal computers a household staple, with a suite of software that includes the Word, Excel, and PowerPoint programs, as well as the Windows operating system that still powers most PCs today.
“That was the revolution,” Gates said of the code in a video accompanying his post. “That was the thing that ushered in personal computing”.
Gates’ recollection of the code is part of a nostalgic kick that he has been on this year as he prepares to turn 70 in October.
The trip down memory lane included the February release of a memoir exploring his early years as an often-misunderstood child with few friends and a hailing of the 25th anniversary of the philanthropic foundation he created after stepping down as Microsoft’s CEO in 2000.
The tech giant initially stumbled after Gates’ departure but has been thriving under CEO Satya Nadella, and has amassed a market value of about $2.8 trillion (€2.5 trillion).
In his memoir, Gates also reflected on his tempestuous relationship with fellow PC pioneer, the late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, whose company will be celebrating its golden anniversary next year.
“Fifty years is a long time,” said Gates, whose personal fortune is estimated at $108 billion (€98 billion). “It’s crazy that the dream came true”.
Tech
Lucid Had Another Record Quarter Thanks To Tesla Owners Who Jumped Ship

Published
3 days agoon
April 3, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
The American luxury EV maker had its fifth consecutive record quarter.
- Lucid Motors delivered 3,109 cars in the first quarter.
- That’s a 28% increase year-over-year.
- A big reason for the uptick? Tesla owners.
The Lucid Air is a phenomenal machine, albeit a very expensive one. It’s the longest-range electric vehicle on sale today, with up to 512 miles on a full charge. It’s also extremely comfortable, but it costs between $70,000 and $250,000.
Despite the high price tag, the Air just helped Lucid achieve its fifth consecutive record quarter for deliveries. Thanks in no small part to Tesla owners ditching their EVs for other battery-powered cars, Lucid delivered 3,109 units in the first quarter of this year–an impressive increase of 28% over last year.
“Tesla owners always have been a source of customers for us,” said Lucid’s Interim CEO Marc Winterhoff during a Fox Business interview last week. “We saw a dramatic uptick in the last two months. Right now, 50% of all the orders that we have are from Tesla owners.”
More Lucid Stories
Compared to last year’s fourth quarter, Lucid delivered just 10 more vehicles, but a record is still a record. When it comes to manufacturing, the California-based startup built 2,213 cars at its facility in Casa Grande, Arizona, with an additional 600 units in transit to Saudi Arabia, where they will be assembled at the company’s AMP-2 facility. Compared to Q1 2024, Lucid built 28% more cars in the first quarter of this year.
Deliveries of the new Gravity SUV are yet to begin, with the first demo units scheduled to be finalized by the end of April. As a reminder, Lucid also built a handful of Gravity SUVs late last year, but that was a limited run intended for employees and company friends. In other words, although Lucid doesn’t split the delivery numbers for its two models, all the cars delivered in Q1 were likely Air sedans.
With the Gravity, Lucid is broadening its appeal to a wider audience that may not be so convinced about a luxury electric sedan. “More than 75% of our Gravity orders are from people who don’t own a Lucid,” said Winterhoff. That said, don’t expect Lucid’s first SUV to be affordable. The Gravity Grand Touring starts at $94,900–this gets you up to 450 miles of range on a full charge and seating for up to seven adults. A cheaper Touring trin, which will start from $79,900, will go on sale in late 2025.
Lucid Motors Deliveries
Period | Units Delivered |
Q4 2022 | 1,932 |
Q1 2023 | 1,406 |
Q2 2023 | 1,404 |
Q3 2023 | 1,457 |
Q4 2023 | 1,734 |
Q1 2024 | 1,967 |
Q2 2024 | 2,394 |
Q3 2024 | 2,781 |
Q4 2024 | 3,099 |
Q1 2025 | 3,109 |
Tech
Ford’s EV, Hybrid Sales Surge In Q1 Ahead Of Tariff Chaos

Published
3 days agoon
April 3, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
It was a record start to the year for electrified vehicles, mainly led by the Mustang Mach-E. But that could get pricier soon.
- Ford sold 73,623 electrified models in the U.S. in the first quarter, a 26% year-over-year growth.
- It was a record start to the year for hybrids, up 33% while Ford’s EVs were up 12%, mainly led by the Mustang Mach-E.
- Deliveries of the 2025 Mustang Mach-E, with improved range and more features, is imminent. But it could cost substantially more with President Trump’s 25% tariffs.
Ford sold more than half a million vehicles in the U.S. across powertrain types in the first quarter of this year.
While its overall sales sank marginally, electrified vehicles grew 26% year-over-year. Hybrids, plug-in hybrids and fully electric models now together account for 15% of Ford’s overall sales, a 3% jump over last year.
The Dearborn automaker sold 501,291 units in the first quarter, a 1.3% year-over-year drop. Gas-powered vehicles accounted for 427,668 units (85%) of the total sales, whereas fully electric models made up 22,550 units (4.4%) and hybrids totaled 51,073 units (10.1%).

2025 Mustang Mach-E Rally_04
The Mustang Mach-E outsold the gas-powered Mustang again and every single Lincoln model on sale. Ford sold 11,607 Mach-Es, a 21% increase year-over-year. By comparison, buyers drove home only 9,377 combustion-engined Mustangs, a sharp 31.6% drop.
Sales of the E-Transit electric van increased nearly 30% to 3,756 units. However, the F-150 Lightningdid not perform as well, even though the overall F-Series trucks grew by 24.5%. Only 7,187 Lightnings found homes so far this year, a 7.1% drop.
By comparison, sales of the Chevy Silverado EVgrew 125% to 2,383 units. General Motors also just launched cheaper versions of the 2026 Sierra EV, which has the potential to put the automaker at the forefront of the electric truck race in the coming months.
However, Ford’s momentum with its electrified models risks stalling as President Trump’s 25% tariffs on imported cars and auto parts went into effect on Wednesday. While most Ford cars are assembled in the U.S., all of them get over half of their parts content from overseas—mostly Mexico—according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

2025 Ford F-150 Lightning with the
A whopping 78% of the Mustang Mach-E’s parts are sourced from Mexico and the crossover is also assembled there. Even the hugely popular Bronco Sport and the Maverick are assembled across America’s southern border.
Unless the president provides American automakers with some tariff relief or trade concessions, their momentum risks getting wiped out, at least in the short term.
Have a tip? Contact the author: suvrat.kothari@insideevs.com
Related Stories

I did only traditional marriage. Pls Atanda, how can i get a marriage c£rtificate that will be acceptable at the £mbassy?

It’s wrong to check suspect’s phone – Ebonyi Police Commissioner

PRESIDENT TINUBU CELEBRATES DAME FASHOLA ON 60TH BIRTHDAY
Trending
- Trending6 months ago
NYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
- Business6 months ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
- Politics6 months ago
Mexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
- Entertainment6 months ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
- Entertainment6 months ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
- Politics6 months ago
Russia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
- Politics6 months ago
Putin invites 20 world leaders
- Politics1 year ago
Nigerian Senate passes Bill seeking the establishment of the South East Development Commission.