Politics
Deputy PM will ‘unblock’ south east housing sites

Published
4 months agoon
By
Ekwutos Blog
The deputy prime minister has pledged to “unblock” sites not being developed for housing in the South East.
In an interview with BBC South East, Angela Rayner said there were lots of areas in Kent, Surrey and Sussex that needed to be “unlocked” for development, because developers are “frustrated that they are constantly in this process of being blocked”.
It comes after she approved a housing development previously refused by Conservative councillors in an area of outstanding natural beauty in Cranbrook, Kent.
In a major speech on Thursday Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer reiterated the government’s pledge to build 1.5m homes in England over the next Parliament, saying there would be “no solution to the housing crisis without approving controversial development”.
The Kent Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE) described the 165-home development at Cranbrook as “a political signal that the countryside is fair game for developers”.
Ms Rayner, who is also the Secretary of State for Housing, would not talk about individual planning scenarios but said the government had pledged to “build on brownfield sites first”.
Councils in Sussex have said they have major concerns about reaching the government’s new housebuilding targets because they are restricted by the sea to the south, as well as the South Downs National Park and High Weald National Landscape.

Local authorities in Sussex have expressed doubts about hitting the government’s housing targets
© Getty Images
“I don’t believe for one minute across the whole of the South East – which I know very well – that there is only the rolling hills of Sussex,” Ms Rayner said.
“There is lots of brownfield, lots of areas that need to be unlocked for development.
“And developers who have got land there are frustrated that they are constantly in this process of being blocked so what we want to do is unlock those sites and get those houses built.”

Angela Rayner says the government’s priority is to build on brownfield sites first
© Getty Images
Under new proposed house-building targets, authorities in Kent, Sussex and Surrey will have to build an additional 7,116 homes a year on top of existing targets.
The Surrey CPRE says it will mean a “tsunami” of development on the county’s green belt.
Ms Raynor said the environment and nature would be taken into account.
She said: “National parks and heritage sites, they’re all excluded and within the National Planning Policy Framework it clearly sets out what our rules are and it also talks about brownfield first.
“With local plans and mandatory targets it means local areas will identify the areas of land that they believe is where the houses should go and the infrastructure and we will help deliver it.”
You may like
US will stay in NATO, but it must be ‘stronger’, Marco Rubio tells his 31 counterparts
I want to register my Busin£ss with CAC (c0porate affairs c0mmission) Atanda, but i don’t know if I should R£gister as a Busin£ss name or as a Limited Liability C0mpany Atanda pls, can you guide me and advice me on the best option to choose I am into Dry Cleaning Busin£ss
Imo State Government bans all forms of task force in the state
Security: Abia govt to keep close watch on traditional rulers, confirms kidnap victim’s release
Uromi killings: Defence Headquarters gives progress report
Lucid Had Another Record Quarter Thanks To Tesla Owners Who Jumped Ship
Politics
US will stay in NATO, but it must be ‘stronger’, Marco Rubio tells his 31 counterparts

Published
4 minutes agoon
April 3, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
Secretary of State Marco Rubio has reassured NATO allies of the US’ commitment to the military transatlantic alliance at his first meeting of NATO foreign affairs ministers, while recalling Donald Trump’s message that the European countries and Canada need to further increase defence spending.
“The United States President Trump’s made clear he supports NATO, we’re going to remain in NATO,” Rubio told reporters in Brussels, stressing that the US wants the alliance to be stronger against any potential threat.
“The only way NATO can get stronger and more viable is if our partners, the nation states that comprise this important alliance, have more capability,” he added.
The top US diplomat said he expects to leave Brussels with a clear commitment from allies to spend 5% of their GDP on defence—an increase from the current 2%, which some European countries, such as Belgium, Italy, and Spain, still fail to meet.
“I understand there’s domestic politics after decades of building up vast social safety net that maybe don’t want to take away from that and invest more in national security, but a full-scale ground war in the heart of Europe is a reminder that hard power is still necessary as a deterrent,” he said.
Rubio’s comments come after Donald Trump said last month that the US would not defend its allies unless they increased burden-sharing within the alliance. “It’s common sense, right,” Trump told reporters in the Oval Office in early March. “If they don’t pay, I’m not going to defend them.”
The transatlantic alliance is currently assessing its capability gaps before committing to a new defence spending target, but a final figure is not expected until the annual NATO summit in June in The Hague.
NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte stressed that European NATO members have recently committed to the largest increase in defence spending since the end of the Cold War, though he agreed with the US that more must be done.
“It’s my assumption that what we need to spend, the Canadians and Europeans together, will be north of 3%,” the former Dutch prime minister said on his way in to the two-day meeting of the alliance’s foreign ministers in Brussels.
Rubio stressed that raising defence spending to 5% cannot be done “in one year or two”, but the US now demands a real way forward from its allies to build a stronger NATO capable of defending its territories.
The NATO chief also warned that the global security threats facing the Alliance are increasingly interconnected and that the Russian threat will persist for many years.
“We are seeing what China is doing. We’re seeing how these two theatres, the inner Pacific and the Euro-Atlantic are getting more and more connected by the fact that the Russians are working together with the North Koreans, with the Chinese, with Iran, so we have to look at all these theatres in conjunction and that will be our focus,” he said.
European NATO members are also expecting clear messages or a roadmap from Rubio regarding the US withdrawal of troops from Europe, where around 100,000 American soldiers are stationed. However, the US secretary of state has not yet addressed the issue, and Rutte indicated that no immediate drawdown is planned.
“There are no plans for them (the US) to all of a sudden draw down their presence here in Europe, but we know that for America being the superpower they are they have to attend to more theatres than one,” Rutte said.
Some NATO members consider that the US could reduce its presence by some 20,000 to 50,000 troops.
The NATO secretary general acknowledged that the US has long sought to pivot its attention toward the Indo-Pacific but assured that it will be done “in a very coordinated manner.”
Politics
Security: Abia govt to keep close watch on traditional rulers, confirms kidnap victim’s release

Published
1 hour agoon
April 3, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
Abia State government has again, warned traditional rulers in the state against harbouring criminals in their communities, saying that they would be placed under watch.
The warning was sounded at Government House Umuahia by the Commissioner for Information, Okey Kanu, on Wednesday, while briefing Journalists on the outcome of this week’s executive council meeting presided over by Governor Alex Otti.
The State government also cautioned town union leaders to be vigilant and report all cases of suspicious movements involving criminal elements in their areas to security agents.
The Commissioner who disclosed that a popular businessman who was kidnapped in Ukwa East LGA a few weeks ago has been released, said that the State government would be using security agencies to beam light on all traditional rulers, to ascertain those who harbour criminals in their domains.
“As is usual with security matters, I may not want to go into details of what happened to the businessman, but the state government is advising Abians to remain vigilant. Town unions and traditional rulers must be alive to their duties of keeping watch over their domains.
“The state government is frowning seriously at this and the warning is that if you are caught in the act of harbouring criminals, you will be treated as one”, said Kanu.
He advised all commercial vehicle operators who have registered their vehicles in the ongoing registration policy to do so as strict enforcement of the initiative would soon start.
Politics
Recall: INEC declares petition against Natasha inadequate

Published
3 hours agoon
April 3, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
ABUJA: The Independent National Electoral Commission INEC on Thursday said the petition to recall the Senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan has not met the requirements of the constitution.
INEC in a tweet on its ‘X’ handle said; “The petition for the recall of the Senator representing the Kogi Central Senatorial District has not met the requirement of Section 69(a) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended)”.

US will stay in NATO, but it must be ‘stronger’, Marco Rubio tells his 31 counterparts

I want to register my Busin£ss with CAC (c0porate affairs c0mmission) Atanda, but i don’t know if I should R£gister as a Busin£ss name or as a Limited Liability C0mpany Atanda pls, can you guide me and advice me on the best option to choose I am into Dry Cleaning Busin£ss

Imo State Government bans all forms of task force in the state
Trending
- Trending5 months ago
NYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
- Business5 months ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
- Politics5 months ago
Mexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
- Politics5 months ago
Russia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
- Politics5 months ago
Putin invites 20 world leaders
- Politics1 year ago
Nigerian Senate passes Bill seeking the establishment of the South East Development Commission.