Connect with us

Trending

Gunmen attack Imo Community, Kill Four

Published

on

Unknown gunmen
Spread the love

Unknown Gunmen dressed in military camouflage, at the weekend, invaded Abacheke community in Ohaji /Egbema Local Council, killing four out of five young men hit by their guns.The only survivor is receiving treatment at the hospital, while four others were confirmed dead on arrival at the same hospital. According to sources, the suspected bandits, who attacked the area, around 7p.m. on Friday, came on motorcycles, and were dressed in military uniform. They reportedly shot sporadically at some houses in the area. Meanwhile, the Police Spokesperson in the state, Henry Okoye, has confirmed the incident. Okoye said that the state Commissioner of Police, Aboki Danjuma, has deployed tactical security operators from the command to beef up security within the vicinity, and arrest the attackers. In a statement he issued, yesterday, Okoye, said: “The Commissioner of Police, Imo State Command, CP Aboki Danjuma, has condemned in totality the gruesome murder of four young men at Abacheke community in Ohaji Egbema by gunmen who were dressed in military camouflage and has deployed the Command Special Tactical Squad to go all out in synergy with other security agencies and clamp down on the hoodlums responsible for the senseless act of violence.”

 

The statement explained how the incident happened, according to information available to the command: “On 8/03/2024 at about 1830hrs, the hoodlums swiftly attacked Abacheke community in their numbers, riding motorcycles and firing sporadically during which five residents were seriously hit. In a swift response, the Area Commander-in-Charge of Ohaji Egbema and other tactical teams mobilised to the scene, and the victims were immediately rushed to the hospital, where four were confirmed dead on arrival, while one is currently receiving medical treatment at the hospital. Intense operation is ongoing in the area.”

The spokesperson said that normalcy had been restored as investigation was ongoing, stressing: “While normalcy has been restored in the area, a comprehensive investigation is ongoing to fish out the hoodlums responsible for the dastardly act and make them face the full wrath of the law.

He urged the residents who have useful information about the incident to report such to the command, noting: “The Command calls on the general public, particularly the residents of Ohaji/Egbema, who may have any useful information that will assist the Police in the investigation to kindly report at the nearest Police Station or via 08034773600. Let us collaboratively work towards stamping out violent crimes in the state.”

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), said the Danjuma, commiserated with the families, and friends of the victims, promising that everything would be explored to ensure that the perpetrators of the act would be brought to book, “CP Danjuma commiserates with the families and friends of the deceased and vowed that no stone will be left unturned in ensuring the perpetrators are arrested and brought to book.”

Trending

Imo State Government bans all forms of task force in the state

Published

on

Spread the love

His Excellency the Governor of Imo State, Dist. Sen.  (Dr) Hope Uzodinma, CON, GSSRS, has approved the ban on all forms of task force currently operating under any guise or MDA in the state.

Ekwutosblog reports that in a Public Service Announcement issued by the Secretary to the State Government the public is advised to be guided accordingly,  subsequently.

The ban on task force in the state has become necessary following their incessant activities which has constituted nuisances to the general public and paints the image of the government in bad light.

Following the approval of His Excellency, on this issue, Government therefore warns that anyone or group of persons operating as task force under any guise will be apprehended by security operatives who have been directed to get rid of all forms of task force in the State and such culprits would be made to face the full weight of Law.

I.A OGUZIE Npom Fcal
For secretary to the State Government.

Continue Reading

Trending

One dead, three injured in Jos Sara-Suka fight

Published

on

Spread the love

One person was killed, and three others sustained injuries in a violent clash between rival groups known as Sara-Suka in the Yantifa community of Jos North Local Government Area, Plateau State.

According to residents, members of the rival gangs, armed with machetes, attacked one another on Tuesday evening, causing panic and forcing people to flee.

A local vigilante, Lawan Chizo, confirmed the incident and said security forces, including soldiers, were deployed to restore order.

He noted that the clash involved members of the Sara-Suka groups from Anguwan Rogo and Yantifa, who have been engaged in ongoing conflicts.

“There is still fear among residents, but normalcy has been restored,” Chizo stated.

In response to the violence, the Plateau State Commissioner of Police has called for an emergency meeting with community leaders to address the activities of Sara-Suka in the area.

The latest violence comes just two days after three members of Sara-Suka were killed in another clash near the Al-Mohap praying ground.

Continue Reading

Trending

Myanmar earthquake death toll crosses 3,000

Published

on

Spread the love

Death toll from Myanmar’s devastating earthquake has surpassed 3,000, with hundreds more missing.

This is as forecasts of unseasonal rain presented a new challenge for rescue and aid workers trying to reach people in a country riven by civil war.

Ekwutosblog reports that the last Friday’s 7.7-magnitude quake, one of the Southeast Asian nation’s strongest in a century, jolted a region home to 28 million, toppling buildings, flattening communities and leaving many without food, water and shelter.

 

Myanmar’s embassy in Japan said on Facebook that on Wednesday, deaths rose to 3,003 with 4,515 injured and 351 missing, while rescuers scramble to find more.

However, conditions could get even tougher for the huge relief effort after weather officials warned unseasonal rain from Sunday to April 11 could threaten the areas hardest-hit by the quake, such as Mandalay, Sagaing and the capital Naypyidaw.

“Rain is incoming and there are still so many buried. And in Mandalay, especially, if it starts to rain, people who are buried will drown even if they’ve survived until this point,” an aid worker in Myanmar said.

The embassy in Japan added in its post that there have been 53 airlifts of aid to Myanmar, while more than 1,900 rescue workers arrived from 15 countries, including Southeast Asian neighbours and China, India and Russia.

According to state television, despite the devastation, junta chief Min Aung Hlaing will leave his disaster-stricken country on Thursday for a rare trip to a regional summit in Bangkok.

The visit is said to be an uncommon foreign visit for a general regarded as a pariah by many countries and the subject of Western sanctions and an International Criminal Court investigation.

Continue Reading

Trending