Columns
Hardship Grant controversy: More States Dispute FG’s Claim of Disbursing N573 Billion Grant

Published
8 months agoon
By
Ekwutos Blog
More states have refuted President Tinubu’s claim of a N573bn hardship fund, clarifying it’s a World Bank loan, not a grant.
The controversy surrounding the purported disbursement of N573 billion to subnational governments announced by President Bola Tinubu during a nationwide broadcast on Sunday, continued on Friday, as more States denied receiving such fund from his administration.
Just like the Governor of Nasarawa State, Abdullahi Sule, on Thursday, faulted the claim by the President, Governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde, yesterday, also denied receiving the N573 billion hardship grant claimed to have been given to the state governments by the federal government.
Abia and Osun State governments also indicated that they were yet to receive such funds, maintaining that the World Bank intervention was a loan to States and not a grant from the Nigerian government. Other states contacted also declined to comment, in an apparent move not to be seen as being in conflict with the President.
Tinubu had while addressing Nigerians in a broadcast during the #EndBadGovernance nationwide protests against hunger and hardship, said the government had disbursed N573 billion to the 36 states.
However, in a newsletter No 95 |August 2024 personally signed by Makinde, which was shared on his X handle, he said the state was not in the know of such a grant.
Makinde explained: “In my newsletter tonight, I responded to a question from a concerned citizen of Oyo State regarding the claim that the Federal Government ‘gave’ States over N570 billion as some kind of ‘hardship fund’ for citizens.
“Before I speak more on further actions we have taken to show our commitment to productivity and sustainability, let me respond to a long message I received earlier in the week from a concerned citizen. The message was about a purported N570 billion Hardship Fund “given” to the 36 States by the Federal Government. I was queried about what I used the money for.
“Let me state categorically that this is yet another case of misrepresentation of facts. The said funds were part of the World Bank-assisted NG-CARES project—a Programme for Results intervention.
“The World Bank facilitated an intervention to help States in Nigeria with COVID-19 Recovery. CARES means COVID-19 Action Recovery Economic Stimulus. It was called Programme for Results because States had to use their money in advance to implement the programme. After the World Bank verified the amount spent by the State, it reimbursed the States through the platform provided at the Federal level. The Federal Government did not give any State money; they were simply the conduit through which the reimbursements were made to States for money already spent.
“It is important to note that the World Bank fund is a loan to States, not a grant. So, States will need to repay this loan. Note also that NG-CARES, which we christened Oyo-CARES in our State, predates the present federal administration.
“So, in direct response to the message, the Federal Government did not give Oyo State any money. We were reimbursed funds (N5.98 billion in the first instance and N822 million in the second instance) we invested in the three result areas of NG-CARES, which includes inputs distribution to smallholder farmers within our State. In fact, when the World Bank saw our model for the distribution of inputs preceded by biometric capturing of beneficiary farmers, they adopted it as the NG-CARES model.”
Makinde’s denial comes on the heels of controversies that greeted the nationwide hunger and hardship protests.
Also, Abia State Commissioner for Finance, Mr. Mike Akpara, in response to THISDAY’s enquiry, said the federal government’s comment about the purported grant “is vague”.
“They should come out clear and state categorically what they gave each state,” he said, adding that when that is done, governors could be held accountable on how they spent the money.
Akpara, expressed doubt if the federal government was sure of its claims on the disbursement of the said grant to states and wondered if the amount was calculated based on the rice it distributed to states or other forms of palliatives.
According to him, loans are applied for, negotiated and processed on individual basis and any state that needed loan would pursue it without recourse to other states as a group.
Also, responding to THISDAY’s enquiries, a source from Osun State government that pleaded to remain anonymous, said the N573 billion hardship grant claimed to have been given to the state governments by the federal government was not the truth.
Governor Sule had in an interview with Channels Television, stressed that the World Bank loan received by states was for infrastructural projects and not to cushion the effects of hardship faced by Nigerians.
The governor had explained that states received the money in batches with the latest received in June, stressing that it was a loan and not free funds and was initiated in 2020.
“The money is tied to certain projects. It is almost like a regimented loan from the World Bank. The money is not for rice, it is not for palliatives, it is not for anything in that line.
“That money came from the World Bank and that was the second disbursement which came in November last year. The amount was credited to the account of every other state, sometime around January.”
Many Nigerians, including a senior lawyer, Mr. Femi Falana, a human rights crusader and the Chair, of Alliance on Surviving Covid-19 and Beyond (ASCAB), had since the announcement by the President been challenging states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) to explain how they spent the N573 billion.
Follow Ekwutosblog to stay informed of all the latest updates
You may like
I did only traditional marriage. Pls Atanda, how can i get a marriage c£rtificate that will be acceptable at the £mbassy?
It’s wrong to check suspect’s phone – Ebonyi Police Commissioner
PRESIDENT TINUBU CELEBRATES DAME FASHOLA ON 60TH BIRTHDAY
Ugwanyi, Ikpeazu, Shehu Sani, others screened for ambassadorial appointments
Trump tariffs: 50 nations seek new US trade talks — official
Peter Obi Is weak and Spineless , That’s why he couldn’t field any candidate for the November Anambra Election – Noble Eyisi (Former Unizik President
Columns
Afghan’s claim he is 140 years old is investigated by the Taliban

Published
2 days agoon
April 4, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
The Taliban is investigating an Afghan man’s claim that he is 140 years old – which would make him the oldest person ever to have lived.
Aqel Nazir, who lives in the country’s eastern Khost province, says he was born in the 1880s.
He claims to remember celebrating the end of the Third Anglo-Afghan War in 1919 alongside King Amanullah Khan, the Afghan leader who launched a campaign against the British, while in his thirties.
Nazir, who lives in the picturesque hills in Khost, said: ‘I was in the palace with King Amanullah Khan.
‘I was over 30 at the time and I remember saying that the British had fled and knelt down.
‘Everyone was happy and thanked King Amanullah Khan for chasing the British away.
‘Many leaders accompanied us to the Arg [presidential palace], but now all of them have passed away.’
The great-great grandfather does not have any documents to support his claim, but his family are also on board with gaining official recognition of his status.

Aqel Nazir, who lives in the country’s eastern Khost province, says he was born in the 1880s

The ruling Taliban administration has dispatched a a special civil registration team to assess his true age
Khyal Wazir, his 50-year-old grandson, said: ‘He is my grandfather, and I have my grandchildren as well.’
Another grandson, Abdul Hakim Sabari, said: ‘We request the government confirm our grandfather’s age using an ID or any other scientific method or documents, to prove he is 140 years old.’
In an attempt to solve the mystery, the ruling Taliban administration has dispatched a a special civil registration team to assess his true age.
Mustaghfar Gurbaz, a Taliban spokesman for the province, said: ‘If confirmed by documents or assessments, we will work to register him as the oldest person in the world.’
If verified, he would comfortably take the title of the oldest person to have ever lived.
That record is held by Jeanne Calment, who was born in 1875 and passed away in 1997, 122 years later.
The world’s current verified oldest living person is Inah Canabarro Lucas, a Brazilian nun who turned 116 last June.
Another Brazilian woman, Deolira Gliceria Pedro da Silva, is hoping to have her own claim to be 120 years of age verified by Guinness World Records.
But experts have already cast doubt on Nazir’s claims.

The world’s current verified oldest living person is Inah Canabarro Lucas

The Brazilian nun turned 116 last June
Valery Novoselov, a geriatrician at Moscow State University, told Russian outlet AIF: ‘There are no reliably registered men on the planet older than 114 to 115 years [of age].
‘In the Caucasus in the 60s, they also recorded “long-livers” – shepherds who allegedly lived to 168 years.
‘These are so-called games with age. There are no documents, no reliable data – which means this is an unrealistic picture.’
In 2015, a man claiming to be 100 years old applied for asylum in Germany after an extraordinary eight-month journey from Afghanistan.
Like Nazir, Abdul Qadir Azizi did not have any identity papers, but his family claimed his year of birth was 1905.
Azizi, who is deaf and blind, spent one month travelling across two continents from his home in the Afghan town of Baghlan to reach Germany.
His family fled after three of Azizi’s sons were killed by the Taliban.
The plight of the elderly in Afghanistan has worsened since the Taliban takeover.
In 2024, they effectively abolished the pension system, leaving many older Afghans struggling to meet basic needs.
Previously, anyone over the age of 65 received a monthly payment of around $100 from the state.
Columns
Tourists lament cancellation of 2025 Eid-el-Fitr Durbar in Kano

Published
2 days agoon
April 4, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
Several tourists have expressed disappointment over the abrupt cancellation of the 2025 Eid-el-Fitr Durbar, a popular traditional horse-riding festival, in Kano State.
More than 160 tourists had traveled to Kano to witness the annual Sallah Durbar, which is renowned for its grandeur and cultural significance. The cancellation, announced shortly before the event, left many visitors disheartened.
Speaking at a press briefing in Kano, Mr. Virgil Taylor, a tourist from the United States who spent a year planning his trip, described the experience as disheartening. He arrived in Nigeria on March 28, 2025, only to learn of the Durbar’s cancellation.
“Kano Durbar, as I understood from my research, was the biggest Durbar to visit. I only learned that the Durbar was canceled when I arrived in Kano. I was terribly disappointed because I had made significant financial commitments to the trip, arranging everything in advance,” Taylor said.
The first-time visitor to Nigeria noted that the Durbar represented a unique and historic opportunity for him, one he had long anticipated. Despite the setback, he appreciated the efforts of the Executive Secretary of the Kano State History and Culture Bureau, Mr. Ahmad Yusuf, and Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf, for providing alternative experiences for tourists.
Taylor, however, urged the Federal Government to minimize the issuance of security threats that could deter investors and tourists from visiting Nigeria. “Despite the financial cost, I consider my visit a blessing and would consider returning, hoping not to be disappointed again,” he added.
Similarly, Lekan Yusha’u, a UK-based Nigerian and polo agent, expressed frustration over the cancellation. He noted that his visit, along with the invitation extended to his friends, was largely inspired by UNESCO’s recognition of the Durbar as part of its heritage program.
“They have never ridden a horse in such a long procession. My goal, along with a couple of friends, was to ensure that within the next year, we put the Kano Durbar procession in the Guinness World Records. Kano Durbar has the largest gathering of horses in the world, with over 4,000 horses participating in a single procession,” Yusha’u said.
He revealed that he had spent over £6,000 on his flight alone, excluding other expenses, and had met over 160 foreign tourists who had come for the same event.
Yusha’u urged the Kano State Government to capitalize on the event’s global appeal, emphasizing that the Kano Durbar is unique to northern Nigeria.
“Both the state and federal government should not disappoint us again by canceling the Kano Durbar,” he said.
The annual Durbar festival in Kano is a cultural showcase that attracts visitors from around the world, featuring colorful horse parades, traditional dances, and displays of local heritage.
Columns
I got married to man who wasn’t financially sound – Michelle Obama admits

Published
3 days agoon
April 3, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
Former U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama has admitted that Barack Obama was “not financially sound” when she met him.
The couple met in 1988 when Barack took a job at a law firm in Chicago where Michelle was already working.
Speaking on the podcast she hosts with her brother, Craig, Michelle spent much of their most recent episode discussing the importance of having a partner with financial stability.
Talking with British author Jay Shetty, Craig put the question directly to his famous sister.
He asked, “Would you be attracted to a guy who’s not financially sound when you meet him?”
Michelle immediately responded, “Uh, I married one.”
Craig then laughed and admitted to his sister that he’d set her up.
“Don’t you like that alley-oop I just threw you? In basketball, you just point—you don’t even have to say it,” he said.

I did only traditional marriage. Pls Atanda, how can i get a marriage c£rtificate that will be acceptable at the £mbassy?

It’s wrong to check suspect’s phone – Ebonyi Police Commissioner

PRESIDENT TINUBU CELEBRATES DAME FASHOLA ON 60TH BIRTHDAY
Trending
- Trending6 months ago
NYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
- Business6 months ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
- Politics6 months ago
Mexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
- Entertainment6 months ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
- Entertainment6 months ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
- Politics6 months ago
Russia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
- Politics6 months ago
Putin invites 20 world leaders
- Politics1 year ago
Nigerian Senate passes Bill seeking the establishment of the South East Development Commission.