Connect with us

Politics

MEET THE NEW OHANAEZE NDIGBO WORLDWIDE PRESIDENT GENERAL… SENATOR JOHN AZUTA MBATA

Published

on

Senator John Azuta-Mbata
Spread the love

He was elected during the Ohanaeze meeting in Enugu State on Friday, marking the beginning of a new era for the organisation.

Senator John Azuta-Mbata has emerged as the new President-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo Worldwide, a prominent Igbo socio-cultural organisation.

He was elected during the Ohanaeze meeting in Enugu State on Friday, marking the beginning of a new era for the organisation.

 

Azuta-Mbata succeeds Fidelis Chukwu, whose tenure as President-General came to an end.

Notably, Azuta-Mbata hails from Rivers State in South-South Nigeria, bringing a unique perspective to the role.

 

The election process was conducted through voice voting, with Azuta-Mbata winning the confidence of the members.

 

In addition to Azuta-Mbata’s election, 15 other individuals were elected to various executive positions within the organization.

 

As the 13th President-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo Worldwide, Azuta-Mbata brings a wealth of experience to the role, having served as a senator for the Rivers East constituency of Rivers State, Nigeria, from 1999 to 2007.

 

His leadership is expected to shape the organisation’s direction and promote the interests of the Igbo people.

Politics

DR Congo and M23 rebels engage in peace talks

Published

on

M23 rebels have captured several towns and cities in eastern Congo, forcing local forces to surrender [FILE: February 22, 2025] © Hugh Kinsella Cunningham/Getty Images
Spread the love

The government of the Democratic Republic of Congo and M23 rebels engaged in peace talks in Qatar after days of unrest. M23 has withdrawn from the town of Walikale and talks will continue next week.

 

A delegation of the Democratic Republic of Congo’s (DRC) government held fresh talks with M23 rebels in Qatar last week about stopping the fighting in the country’s east, a source close to the discussions told news Reuters and AFP news agencies on Saturday.

Both sides have not yet commented on the talks.

The first round of talks was held in late March, which a source close to discussions described as “positive.” The meeting was held in private and talks are set to continue in Doha on April 9.

“Further talks are now expected in Doha, again with the Qataris mediating, to sustain the momentum and explore constructive solutions to end the conflict peacefully,” the source told AFP news agency.

The country’s army on Thursday said rebels had withdrawn from the mining hub of Walikale as decided during talks in March. Initially, they had accused the M23 of not following through on their commitment.

Walikale is the furthest west the M23 has reached.

The conflict in Congo

The eastern Congo conflict’s complexity, rooted in the aftermath of the 1994 Rwandan genocide and competition for mineral resources, is further complicating the mediation efforts.

The DRC has vast reserves of lithium and cobalt and other minerals, especially in the east. This has led to several rebellions and clashes over control of the region.

The ethnic Tutsi-led M23 rebel group was founded in 2012 and remains one of the most powerful rebel groups to operate in the region.

Rwanda has been accused of backing M23, which it has denied.

The unrest in Congo has also spread around the region, with Uganda and Burundi both having troops in the country.

Edited by: Zac Crellin

Continue Reading

Politics

Attacks on Plateau communities unacceptable – NSGF

Published

on

Spread the love

The Northern States Governors’ Forum (NSGF) has condemned the recent attacks on five communities in Bokkos Local Government Area of Plateau State, describing them as “unacceptable” and a serious threat to the peace and stability of the region.

In a statement issued in Gombe, the Chairman of the Forum and Governor of Gombe State, Inuwa Yahaya, expressed deep sorrow over the tragic incident, which claimed several lives and left many others, including women and children, injured.

“The attacks on innocent people are completely unacceptable,” Yahaya said. “We must all stand together in condemning these brutal assaults.”

The statement, released by Ismaila Uba-Misilli, the Director-General of Press Affairs at Gombe Government House, conveyed Yahaya’s condolences to the families of the victims and the people of Plateau.

He described the continuous violence in northern rural communities as a “stain on both the region and the nation,” emphasizing that the sanctity of human life must never be taken lightly.

Yahaya commended Plateau State Governor Caleb Mutfwang for his swift response to the attacks and acknowledged the efforts of security forces in restoring order.

However, he urged authorities to intensify their search for the perpetrators and ensure justice is served.

“The government must not relent in hunting down those responsible for these heinous acts. There can be no justification for the shedding of innocent blood.”

Yahaya stressed the importance of fostering peace and mutual understanding between farmers and herders to promote tolerance and prevent further conflicts.

“As governors in the North, we remain dedicated to ending the cycle of violence through improved security collaboration, dialogue, and policies aimed at fostering peace and unity,” he reaffirmed.

The NSGF Chairman further called on all stakeholders, including religious and community leaders, to support the government’s peace initiatives by promoting dialogue, tolerance, and forgiveness.

Continue Reading

Politics

Abia Govt Denies Alleged Engagement Of ESN To Fight Crime, Warns Against Fake News

Published

on

Spread the love

 

The Abia State Government has debunked reports circulating on social media claiming that Governor Alex Otti has approved the engagement of the Eastern Security Network (ESN), a security arm of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), to combat criminal activities and protect farmers in the state.

The government described the report, credited to a faceless blogger, as false, malicious, and a deliberate attempt to mislead the public and create unnecessary tension in the state. In a statement issued on Sunday, April 6, 2025, by Ferdinand Ekeoma, Special Adviser to the Governor on Media and Publicity and made available to ABN TV, the government expressed concern over the resurgence of the fake report, noting that the same falsehood had earlier been circulated but was ignored.

“For the records, the government of Abia State under the leadership of Dr. Alex Otti could not have contemplated embracing the services of non-state actors to fight criminals and insecurity of any kind in any part of the state,” the statement read.

Ekeoma emphasized that Governor Otti’s administration has continued to rely on conventional security agencies to tackle crime in the state, citing the establishment of a joint security taskforce code-named “Operation Crush” as a testament to the government’s commitment to security. He noted that “Operation Crush” has recorded significant successes in combating crime across the state, despite isolated cases of armed robbery and kidnapping which are being addressed. The government warned those behind the fake news campaign to desist from actions capable of inciting fear and violence in the state, warning that such actions will attract severe consequences when perpetrators are identified.

Abia residents were urged to disregard the false report and remain confident in the government’s efforts to ensure their safety.

 

Continue Reading

Trending