Politics
Namibia elects Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah as first woman president

Published
4 months agoon
By
Ekwutos BlogNamibia elected its first woman president with Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah winning last week’s presidential elections disputed by technical and logistical issues in the country.
The 72-year-old, the current vice-president of the country, won with 57 per cent of the vote, extending the ruling South West Africa People’s Organisation (Swapo) party’s grip on power since independence from South Africa in 1990.
“The Namibian nation has voted for peace and stability,” Ms Nandi-Ndaitwah said after the final results were announced late on Tuesday.
Her victory defied predictions that she might be forced into a run-off after opposition parties rejected the results after polling had to be extended for three days in some parts of the country following technical and logistical problems.
Her closest rival Panduleni Itula, who got 26 per cent of the votes, had alleged electoral malpractice.
The polling was scheduled to conclude last Wednesday but had to be extended till Saturday in some parts after polling booths suffered shortages of ballot papers and other issues.
The opposition parties said the extension was illegal and boycotted the results announcement on Tuesday, saying that they will challenge the results in court.
Ms Nandi-Ndaitwah is known as a dedicated Swapo loyalist who joined the party at the age of 14 and was part of an underground independence movement against South African rule in Namibia in the 1970s which was responsible for the implementation of apartheid.
Her leadership in Swapo’s Youth League laid the foundation for her political rise, eventually earning her ministerial positions in foreign affairs, tourism, child welfare, and information.
She was promoted to vice president in February after president Hage Geingob died while in office and will become the fifth president of Namibia after independence.

Namibia Election (Copyright 2024 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)
© (Copyright 2024 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)
Her victory as the first female president of Namibia adds her to the exclusive club with Tanzania’s president Samia Suluhu Hassan. She, however, took office through constitutional succession and not a popular vote.
“Swapo Wins. Netumbo Wins. Namibia Wins. Now Hard Work,” the ruling party posted on its official account on social media site X.
Mr Itula, of the Independent Patriots for Change opposition party, won the second-largest number of seats in parliament behind Swapo.
The Independent Patriots for Change have led the criticism of the vote and pledged to lodge a challenge in court, calling the three-day extension for voting unconstitutional.
Swapo maintained a grip on power in Namibian politics for nearly three decades. However, its popularity came under question in the 2019 election when it lost its two-thirds majority, reducing its vote share to 56 per cent from 87 per cent.
It faced challenges of growing unemployment, allegations of corruption on high ranking officials of Swapo and high levels of inequality.
This year in May, South Africa’s African National Congress lost its majority in parliament for the first time since the end of apartheid. The Botswana Democratic Party was also booted out of power after ruling since independence from Britain in 1966.
From news to politics, travel to sport, culture to climate – The Independent has a host of free newsletters to suit your interests. To find the stories you want to read, and more, in your inbox, click here.
You may like
Yobe Desert Stars players, officials survive road crash
Sterling Bank Makes History: Scraps Transfer Fees for Local Online Transactions, Earns Praise from Lawmakers, Including Mohammed Bello El-Rufai, and the Public
High court dismisses Kwankwaso faction’s suit challenging NNPP leadership
I’m healthier than those wishing me death – Wike declares
Lagos Court Jails Man Three Months for Non-Declaration of $30,000 at Airport
It was past eleven last Night when a call came in from one of my friend. Atanda, he told me to check my WhatsApp that he sent me a msg Lo and behold Atanda, i saw a R£al £state Ag£nt p0st my Building for sale Atanda, house wey i never build finish na him one person wan S£LL without my awareness My BL00D T£mperature is very high right now and am confused and don’t know what to do
Politics
High court dismisses Kwankwaso faction’s suit challenging NNPP leadership

Published
19 minutes agoon
April 3, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
A High Court in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, has rejected a lawsuit filed by a faction aligned with Senator Rabiu Kwankwaso, which sought to challenge the leadership of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) under Chief Dr. Boniface Aniebonam and National Chairman Dr. Agbo Major.
The lawsuit, initiated by Dr. Ahmed Ajuji and 20 other individuals, aimed to invalidate the authority of the NNPP’s Board of Trustees (BoT) and its executive leadership, including Barr. Tony Christopher Obioha, National Secretary Comrade Oginni Olaposi, and Deputy National Chairman Chief Felix Chukwurah.
The plaintiffs requested that the court prevent these leaders from holding meetings, organizing congresses, or overseeing the party’s National Convention, asserting that they had been expelled from the party.
However, Justice M.A. Hassan ruled that the court lacked jurisdiction to hear the case, emphasizing that internal matters such as party leadership and membership fall outside the court’s purview.
“The law, as affirmed by both the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court, is clear: courts do not intervene in internal political party matters, except when it concerns the nomination of election candidates,” Justice Hassan stated.
This ruling follows a similar decision from the Abia State High Court (Suit No.: HUZ/11/2024) on November 1, 2024, which had reaffirmed the legitimacy of the NNPP’s Board of Trustees led by Dr. Boniface Aniebonam and upheld the validity of the party’s congresses and National Convention.
Defendants’ counsel, Segun Fiki Esq., praised the judgment, calling the case an attempt to manipulate the party’s leadership through the legal system.
“The court’s decision is clear—this is a matter outside its jurisdiction. The NNPP’s legitimate leadership has been affirmed, and we now expect the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to recognize and cooperate with the duly elected officials of the party,” Fiki said.
Politics
I’m healthier than those wishing me death – Wike declares

Published
47 minutes agoon
April 3, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Nyesom Wike on Thursday declared that he is healthier than those wishing him dead.
Wike also vowed to signed the condolence letters of those behind the rumours of his death.
Several posts on the social media had claimed that Wike collapsed last week and was flown to France for treatment.
The minister had dismissed the claims,stressing that they were the handiwork of baseless politicians.
Addressing journalists in Abuja on Thursday after inspecting some projects, Wike insisted that he met with President Bola Tinubu twice last week amid the claims of his collapse.
“The day Mr President broke Iftar during his birthday, I was there and the next day, I led Abuja residents to pay Sallah homage.
“I see all those stories, this is politics but we have thick skin so those things don’t bother us. We are never distracted but focused on our jobs.
“I thank Nigerians for being worried. People should not wish their fellow human beings such things.
“We know that we will all die one day and nobody will remain in this world forever, it’s only God that will say the day you will die.
“Don’t bother yourselves, I’m healthier than most of them and I will write their condolence letters, I can assure you of that.”
Politics
US will stay in NATO, but it must be ‘stronger’, Marco Rubio tells his 31 counterparts

Published
3 hours agoon
April 3, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
Secretary of State Marco Rubio has reassured NATO allies of the US’ commitment to the military transatlantic alliance at his first meeting of NATO foreign affairs ministers, while recalling Donald Trump’s message that the European countries and Canada need to further increase defence spending.
“The United States President Trump’s made clear he supports NATO, we’re going to remain in NATO,” Rubio told reporters in Brussels, stressing that the US wants the alliance to be stronger against any potential threat.
“The only way NATO can get stronger and more viable is if our partners, the nation states that comprise this important alliance, have more capability,” he added.
The top US diplomat said he expects to leave Brussels with a clear commitment from allies to spend 5% of their GDP on defence—an increase from the current 2%, which some European countries, such as Belgium, Italy, and Spain, still fail to meet.
“I understand there’s domestic politics after decades of building up vast social safety net that maybe don’t want to take away from that and invest more in national security, but a full-scale ground war in the heart of Europe is a reminder that hard power is still necessary as a deterrent,” he said.
Rubio’s comments come after Donald Trump said last month that the US would not defend its allies unless they increased burden-sharing within the alliance. “It’s common sense, right,” Trump told reporters in the Oval Office in early March. “If they don’t pay, I’m not going to defend them.”
The transatlantic alliance is currently assessing its capability gaps before committing to a new defence spending target, but a final figure is not expected until the annual NATO summit in June in The Hague.
NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte stressed that European NATO members have recently committed to the largest increase in defence spending since the end of the Cold War, though he agreed with the US that more must be done.
“It’s my assumption that what we need to spend, the Canadians and Europeans together, will be north of 3%,” the former Dutch prime minister said on his way in to the two-day meeting of the alliance’s foreign ministers in Brussels.
Rubio stressed that raising defence spending to 5% cannot be done “in one year or two”, but the US now demands a real way forward from its allies to build a stronger NATO capable of defending its territories.
The NATO chief also warned that the global security threats facing the Alliance are increasingly interconnected and that the Russian threat will persist for many years.
“We are seeing what China is doing. We’re seeing how these two theatres, the inner Pacific and the Euro-Atlantic are getting more and more connected by the fact that the Russians are working together with the North Koreans, with the Chinese, with Iran, so we have to look at all these theatres in conjunction and that will be our focus,” he said.
European NATO members are also expecting clear messages or a roadmap from Rubio regarding the US withdrawal of troops from Europe, where around 100,000 American soldiers are stationed. However, the US secretary of state has not yet addressed the issue, and Rutte indicated that no immediate drawdown is planned.
“There are no plans for them (the US) to all of a sudden draw down their presence here in Europe, but we know that for America being the superpower they are they have to attend to more theatres than one,” Rutte said.
Some NATO members consider that the US could reduce its presence by some 20,000 to 50,000 troops.
The NATO secretary general acknowledged that the US has long sought to pivot its attention toward the Indo-Pacific but assured that it will be done “in a very coordinated manner.”

Yobe Desert Stars players, officials survive road crash

Sterling Bank Makes History: Scraps Transfer Fees for Local Online Transactions, Earns Praise from Lawmakers, Including Mohammed Bello El-Rufai, and the Public

High court dismisses Kwankwaso faction’s suit challenging NNPP leadership
Trending
- Trending5 months ago
NYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
- Business5 months ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
- Politics5 months ago
Mexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
- Politics5 months ago
Russia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
- Politics5 months ago
Putin invites 20 world leaders
- Politics1 year ago
Nigerian Senate passes Bill seeking the establishment of the South East Development Commission.