Connect with us

Trending

Re-Arraignment of Billionaire Kidnapper Evans Postponed Due to Lawyer’s No-Show

Published

on

Spread the love

Re-Arraignment of Billionaire Kidnapper Evans Postponed Due to Lawyer’s No-Show

The re-arraignment of convicted kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, also known as Evans, was once again delayed on Thursday at the Lagos State High Court due to the absence of his legal counsel. Justice Adenike Coker, presiding over the case, inquired about the whereabouts of Evans’ lawyer, to which Evans replied that he was uncertain whether his attorney would appear.

Evans, along with his co-defendant Joseph Emeka, faces an amended five-count charge, including accusations of murder, attempted murder, conspiracy to commit felony with kidnapping, and further attempts to kill. Justice Coker, concerned about the absence, then turned to the counsel for the second defendant, Nelson Onyejaka, to shed light on the situation. Onyejaka informed the court that he had attempted to contact Evans’ lawyer several times but was unable to reach him, noting that the attorney was not based in Lagos.

“Your Lordship, I attempted to reach him by phone, but his line was unreachable. Even this morning, I made further attempts, but there was no response,” Onyejaka explained.

Following this, the State Prosecutor, Yusuf Sule, expressed frustration with the repeated delays, stating that the session had been intended for re-arraignment. He requested an adjournment due to the absence of Evans’ counsel but voiced concerns about ongoing delays attributed to the first defendant.

“This delay has been ongoing since the beginning of the case,” Sule remarked. “It is essential that the first defendant either secures a lawyer based in Lagos or appoints another representative to avoid further setbacks.”

Sule also reminded the court that the case has been pending since 2017. He mentioned that Evans had previously applied for a plea bargain but expressed uncertainty over whether he still wished to pursue it.

Justice Coker, after hearing the prosecutor’s statements, instructed the prosecution to ensure the presence of a representative from the Office of the Public Defender (OPD) at the next hearing. She emphasized that should Evans’ counsel fail to appear again, the OPD could step in to represent him to prevent further delays.

“On the next adjournment date, if the defense counsel does not attend, the OPD will represent the first defendant so that the arraignment can proceed,” Justice Coker declared.

#StateofImo

Trending

Protesters rally against Trump, Musk in ‘Hands Off!’ gatherings nationwide

Published

on

Demonstrators carry signs during a "Hands Off!" protest against President Donald Trump and Elon Musk at the Washington Monument in Washington, D.C., Saturday.
Spread the love

Thousands of protesters gathered across the U.S. Saturday to object to Trump administration policies, including Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE) federal downsizing, reciprocal tariffs and immigration reform.

More than 1,200 “Hands Off!” rallies took place in all 50 states, most prominently at the National Mall in Washington, D.C., and state capitol buildings.

While most protests appear to be peaceful, there was a large police presence on standby as of 4:30 p.m. ET Saturday.

 

Rep. Jamie Raskin, D-Md., spoke at the rally in D.C., saying, “We are winning every day,” citing recent legal actions against the administration.

“We are winning in court, where 39 judges appointed by five Republican and Democratic presidents have issued 56 preliminary injunctions and TROs [temporary restraining orders] against this lawlessness,” Raskin said. “Let’s tell MAGA what democratic movements all over the world tell the dictators of the world. Hands off the courts.”

He called the president an “economy-crashing dictator” who “knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”

When asked about the protests, the White House said in a statement to The Associated Press, “President Trump’s position is clear: He will always protect Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid for eligible beneficiaries. Meanwhile, the Democrats’ stance is giving Social Security, Medicaid and Medicare benefits to illegal aliens, which will bankrupt these programs and crush American seniors.”

Protesters hold up signs during a “Hands Off!” rally against the Trump administration at the Washington Monument in Washington, D.C., Saturday.

The National Park Service told Fox News in a statement it commends its employees, including its police officers, who “helped to ensure these events were peaceful and safe for community members and visitors alike.”

“In support of President Trump’s Executive Order, Making the District of Columbia Safe and Beautiful, our dedicated Park Police officers promoted a welcoming environment, secured the historic monuments in our nation’s capital, and protected the First Amendment rights of all in attendance,” a National Park Service spokesperson wrote in the statement.

 

Large turnouts have been reported in New York City’s midtown Manhattan; Cleveland, Ohio; Philadelphia; and Lansing, Michigan.

Protesters held signs opposing the Israel-Hamas war, federal employee layoffs, deportation policies and the slashing of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) programs.

Anti-Elon Musk posters were also prominent, with DOGE coming under fire for its recent actions.

Protesters shout slogans as they take to the streets and march during a “Hands Off!” protest against the Trump administration Saturday in New York City.

 

Tesla Vehicles, Dealerships Targeted With Arson, Gunfire And Vandalism In At Least 9 States

Fox News Digital previously reported nationwide incidents targeting Tesla electric vehicles, dealerships, storage lots and charging stations.

The FBI warned the public to “exercise vigilance” near the company’s properties, citing incidents in at least nine states that involved arson, gunfire and vandalism, including graffiti expressing grievances against those the perpetrators perceive to be racists, fascists or political opponents.

 

Continue Reading

Trending

“Stop blaming me for the loss of my wife, it’s the economy” – Grieving husband cries out

Published

on

Spread the love

 

A grieving husband shares the heartbreaking story of losing his wife during labor. His words paint a vivid picture of the financial struggles that many families face.

“If the economy were better, raising N500,000 wouldn’t have been so difficult. Despite working day and night, I couldn’t even boast of having N200,000 in my account. They said they had to remove the baby from her body, which would cost N150k. Then we had to buy burial clothes for another N20,000. Before we knew it, we had spent nearly N500,000 at the mortuary. Ironically, this was the same N500k that the hospital couldn’t wait for me to raise. In the end, we managed to raise it.”

Who is to be blamed? The grieving husband for not providing the money needed or the hospital? For demanding such amount before treatment?

 

Continue Reading

Trending

25 YEAR OLD FASHION DESIGNER ALLEGEDLY POISONED BY HIS GIRLFRIEND AT MARINE BASE, PORT HARCOURT

Published

on

Spread the love

25 YEAR OLD FASHION DESIGNER ALLEGEDLY

POISONED BY HIS GIRLFRIEND AT MARINE BASE, PORT HARCOURT

Ubong a fashion designer in Port Harcourt was allegedly P0sin£d by his girlfriend on Sunday evening at Marine base.

She allegedly hid his body under the bed for three days.

According to Ekwutosblog she confessed to p0sining him because he was constantly cheating on her.

Continue Reading

Trending