Connect with us

Trending

Ukraine updates: NATO chief says N. Korean troops in Russia

Published

on

NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte confirmed the presence of North Korean troops in Russia and that forces from Pyongyang were deployed to the Kursk region © Virginia Mayo/AP Photo/picture alliance
Spread the love

NATO chief Mark Rutte said that North Korean troops had been sent to Russia, framing it as a sign of “growing desperation” in the Kremlin after over 600,000 Russian forces have been killed or wounded in Ukraine.

The head of NATO Mark Rutte confirmed the deployment of North Korean troops in Russia and said it represented a “significant escalation.”

Rutte also said that more than 600,000 Russian troops had been killed or injured in “Putin’s war.”

Meanwhile, South Korea’s President Yoon Suk Yeol has told European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen that North Korean involvement on the battlefield could take place “sooner than expected.”

Here are the major developments in Russia’s war in Ukraine on Monday, October 28.

‘North Korean troops have been sent to Russia’ — NATO chief Mark Rutte

NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte on Monday told a media briefing there were North Korean troops in Russia.

“Today, I can confirm that North Korean troops have been sent to Russia, and that North Korean military units have been deployed to the Kursk region,” NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte told reporters.

Rutte said this represented a “significant escalation” in Pyongyang’s involvement in conflict and marked “a dangerous expansion of Russia’s war.”

Ukrainian forces launched a major offensive in Kursk in August and managed to capture large swathes of territory in a surprise offensive this August.

“The deepening military cooperation between Russia and North Korea is a threat to both Indo-Pacific and Euro-Atlantic security,” Rutte told reporters after NATO officials and diplomats received a briefing from a South Korean delegation.

Rutte also pointed to Russia’s battlefield losses and said this was a sign of “growing desperation” on the part of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“Over 600,000 Russian soldiers have been killed or wounded in Putin’s war and he is unable to sustain his assault on Ukraine without foreign support,” Rutte said.

Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov appeared to shrugg off Rutte’s comments, noting a joint security pact last signed by Moscow and Pyongyang in June.

Lavrov stopped short of confirming North Korean soldiers were in Russia.

Ukraine’s Volodymyr Zelenskyy in Iceland for Ukraine-Nordic Summit

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy on Monday said he had arrived in Iceland to discuss the Russian invasion with the leaders of several Nordic states.

“This marks my first working visit to Iceland, where I will participate in the Fourth Ukraine-Nordic Summit and hold bilateral talks with its participants,” Zelenskyy said in a post on X.

Zelenskyy also said discussions would center around support for his “victory plan” and areas where “cooperation can yield maximum results.”

Zelenskyy’s plan is a road map to ending the war on Ukraine’s terms.

He highlighted the financing of Ukrianian weapons production and long-range and training and equipment for Ukrianian forces among other talking points.

“The Nordic countries are our principled and resolute allies, and the Ukraine-Nordic Platform stands as one of our most productive multilateral formats,” Zelenskyy said.

Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden have pledged billions of euros in aid to Ukraine since Russian forces invaded in February 2022.

Seoul wants ‘practical countermeasures’ against North Korean deployment

South Korea’s President Yoon Suk Yeol said on Monday that the deployment of North Korean troops to battlefields in Ukraine could happen sooner than expected.

Yoon made the comments in a phone call with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen.

The comments also come after Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said North Korean troops could join the battlefield against Ukraine “in a matter of days.”

“This unlawful military cooperation between Russia and North Korea fundamentally undermines the rules-based international order and poses a threat to peace on the Korean Peninsula and globally,” South Korea’s Yonhap news agency quoted Yoon as saying.

Yoon said Seoul was hoping to seek “practical countermeasures” with the EU and member states, and would redouble efforts to monitor and block “illegal exchanges” between Russia and North Korea.

Trending

Imo State Government bans all forms of task force in the state

Published

on

Spread the love

His Excellency the Governor of Imo State, Dist. Sen.  (Dr) Hope Uzodinma, CON, GSSRS, has approved the ban on all forms of task force currently operating under any guise or MDA in the state.

Ekwutosblog reports that in a Public Service Announcement issued by the Secretary to the State Government the public is advised to be guided accordingly,  subsequently.

The ban on task force in the state has become necessary following their incessant activities which has constituted nuisances to the general public and paints the image of the government in bad light.

Following the approval of His Excellency, on this issue, Government therefore warns that anyone or group of persons operating as task force under any guise will be apprehended by security operatives who have been directed to get rid of all forms of task force in the State and such culprits would be made to face the full weight of Law.

I.A OGUZIE Npom Fcal
For secretary to the State Government.

Continue Reading

Trending

One dead, three injured in Jos Sara-Suka fight

Published

on

Spread the love

One person was killed, and three others sustained injuries in a violent clash between rival groups known as Sara-Suka in the Yantifa community of Jos North Local Government Area, Plateau State.

According to residents, members of the rival gangs, armed with machetes, attacked one another on Tuesday evening, causing panic and forcing people to flee.

A local vigilante, Lawan Chizo, confirmed the incident and said security forces, including soldiers, were deployed to restore order.

He noted that the clash involved members of the Sara-Suka groups from Anguwan Rogo and Yantifa, who have been engaged in ongoing conflicts.

“There is still fear among residents, but normalcy has been restored,” Chizo stated.

In response to the violence, the Plateau State Commissioner of Police has called for an emergency meeting with community leaders to address the activities of Sara-Suka in the area.

The latest violence comes just two days after three members of Sara-Suka were killed in another clash near the Al-Mohap praying ground.

Continue Reading

Trending

Myanmar earthquake death toll crosses 3,000

Published

on

Spread the love

Death toll from Myanmar’s devastating earthquake has surpassed 3,000, with hundreds more missing.

This is as forecasts of unseasonal rain presented a new challenge for rescue and aid workers trying to reach people in a country riven by civil war.

Ekwutosblog reports that the last Friday’s 7.7-magnitude quake, one of the Southeast Asian nation’s strongest in a century, jolted a region home to 28 million, toppling buildings, flattening communities and leaving many without food, water and shelter.

 

Myanmar’s embassy in Japan said on Facebook that on Wednesday, deaths rose to 3,003 with 4,515 injured and 351 missing, while rescuers scramble to find more.

However, conditions could get even tougher for the huge relief effort after weather officials warned unseasonal rain from Sunday to April 11 could threaten the areas hardest-hit by the quake, such as Mandalay, Sagaing and the capital Naypyidaw.

“Rain is incoming and there are still so many buried. And in Mandalay, especially, if it starts to rain, people who are buried will drown even if they’ve survived until this point,” an aid worker in Myanmar said.

The embassy in Japan added in its post that there have been 53 airlifts of aid to Myanmar, while more than 1,900 rescue workers arrived from 15 countries, including Southeast Asian neighbours and China, India and Russia.

According to state television, despite the devastation, junta chief Min Aung Hlaing will leave his disaster-stricken country on Thursday for a rare trip to a regional summit in Bangkok.

The visit is said to be an uncommon foreign visit for a general regarded as a pariah by many countries and the subject of Western sanctions and an International Criminal Court investigation.

Continue Reading

Trending