Politics
Canada PM Carney declares Canada’s traditional ties with US are over amid auto tariff threats

Published
1 week agoon
By
Ekwutos Blog
Ottawa [Canada], March 28 (ANI): In a dramatic shift in Canada‘s foreign policy, Prime Minister Mark Carney on Thursday declared that the long-standing economic and security relationship between Canada and the United States has ended, responding to US President Donald Trump‘s announcement of new auto tariffs that could severely impact Canada‘s economy, Politico reported.
“The old relationship we had with the United States, based on deepening integration of our economies and tight security and military cooperation, is over,” Carney stated on Parliament Hill after breaking from the federal campaign trail in response to Trump’s latest threats.
Trump announced Wednesday that his administration would impose a 25 percent tariff on auto imports from Canada, the European Union, Japan, and South Korea. He also threatened to introduce additional tariffs targeting major UStrading partners.
In reaction, Carney said that he would speak with Trump in the coming days but made clear that any discussion must respect Canada‘s sovereignty. “We must fundamentally reimagine our economy. We will need to ensure that Canada can succeed in a drastically different world,” he said.
Carney convened his Cabinet’s committee on Canada–US relations upon returning to Ottawa. Canada has indicated it is ready to retaliate but has not revealed specific countermeasures. “We are facing a comprehensive and broad negotiation,” Carney said, adding that he would not disclose Canada‘s response strategy prematurely.
Flavio Volpe, president of the Automotive Parts Manufacturers Association of Canada, warned that if the tariffs proceed, both countries’ auto industries would be paralysed within a week. “One day, two days, three days where you hope the president shows you mercy. You’re a publicly traded company whose share price is taking a beating, and you have a fiduciary obligation to shareholders,” Volpe told Politico.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford spoke with USCommerce Secretary Howard Lutnick on Wednesday about the potential impact on his province. According to Ford, Lutnick explained that tariffs on vehicles from Canada and Mexico would be adjusted based on US content. For example, if a car built in Mexico contains 50 percent American parts, the tariff rate would be reduced to 12.5 percent instead of the full 25 percent.
“He’s reassuring us that there’ll be no plant closures. My response was Ronald Reagan’s response: Trust but verify,” Ford said. “If they’re opening or closing, it’s going to be up to the CEOs.”
Ford also confirmed that he spoke with Carney and that both agreed Canada would fully retaliate if necessary. Ottawa has previously stated that it could impose up to CAD 155 billion in counter-tariffs on US goods.
Trump responded on Truth Social early Thursday, warning that if Canada and the EU coordinated against the tariffs, the US would introduce even harsher trade measures. “If the European Union works with Canada in order to do economic harm to the USA, large-scale Tariffs, far larger than currently planned, will be placed on them both in order to protect the best friend that each of those two countries has ever had!” Trump wrote.
Carney dismissed Trump’s threat, asserting that Canada would act in its own national interest. “What is clear is that we as Canadians have agency, we have power. We are masters in our own home,” he said. “We can control our destiny.”
Since becoming Liberal Party leader on March 9, Carney has not spoken directly with Trump. While members of his Cabinet may travel to Washington, he stated that he has no immediate plans to do so. Volpe suggested that a phone call would be preferable to an in-person visit.
“I don’t think it’s in anybody’s interest in Canadato get Zelenskyy-ed,” Volpe said, referring to how the Biden administration has handled Ukraine’s leader. “They’ve shown that they lack the class to treat an ally whose people are dying with any respect. I imagine that we’d be risking that as well.”
He also advised that Canada remain patient and allow the economic fallout in the US to take effect. “What if we go to the other side and everything shuts down, and 950,000 US auto workers are sitting around? That’s ugly, but that’s also hopeful,” Volpe said. “That’s a whole group that people are going to have to hear from, and they’re not going to talk about the price of eggs. They’re going to talk about how to make rent.”
Lana Payne, president of Unifor, Canada‘s largest private-sector union, called on the government to protect auto workers and warned the US against trying to shift manufacturing southward while maintaining access to Canada‘s market. “If you think you can shift production, factories, mills and reinvest in the United States out of Canada and think that you’re going to have open access to our market, you need to think again,” Payne said.
Canadian premiers have also voiced concerns. “Here’s the thing: Donald Trump is trying to create uncertainty all over the world, in Canada included. And he’s trying to make people panic so that he can get a deal that takes advantage of us,” said Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew.
Quebec Premier Francois Legault called for an immediate renegotiation of the United States-Canada-Mexico Agreement (USMCA) but acknowledged that might not be realistic under Trump. “It has to happen as soon as possible because right now, we cannot start negotiating piece by piece a new agreement,” Legault said. “But we have to be realistic. Is Mr. Trump open to this negotiation?”
Mexico, Canada, and South Korea currently benefit from duty-free access to the US auto market under trade agreements that Trump renegotiated during his first term. However, the new tariffs could significantly disrupt North America’s integrated auto supply chains, Politico reported.
Mayors from Canada, Mexico, and the US are set to meet in Washington on Friday for a trade summit, where they will advocate for tariff relief.
Candace Laing, president and CEO of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, criticised the tariffs as a reckless economic move that could cost thousands of jobs in both countries. She noted that the Ontario-Michigan supply chain alone produces nearly a quarter of North America’s vehicles and warned that Trump’s tariffs would significantly increase vehicle costs. “Under Trump’s tariffs, the cost of a pickup truck would rise by USD 8,000,” she said.
According to US Commerce Department data, the United States imported USD 214 billion worth of passenger cars in 2024. The US government has stated that the new tariffs will take effect on April 3, just one week away.
You may like
Tourists lament cancellation of 2025 Eid-el-Fitr Durbar in Kano
Dangote refinery, NNPC: More fuel stations increase pump price in Nigeria
Sheikh Hasina’s extradition discussed during PM Modi, Muhammad Yunus’s meeting: Foreign secy Vikram Misri
Bandits ambush commercial vehicle on Kebbi-Sokoto road, kill passenger
Court stops pro-Wike rally in Bayelsa
BREAKING: Court bars Akpabio, Natasha Akpoti, and Senate from granting interviews over alleged misconduct case
Politics
Sheikh Hasina’s extradition discussed during PM Modi, Muhammad Yunus’s meeting: Foreign secy Vikram Misri

Published
49 minutes agoon
April 4, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
Bangkok [Thailand], April 4 (ANI): Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday met with Bangladesh’s chief advisor Muhammad Yunus for the first time since Sheikh Hasina’s ouster. in their meeting that was held on the sidelines of the BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok, the two leaders discussed Sheikh Hasina’s extradition, the Foreign Secretary of India, Vikram Misri said.
Addressing a special briefing on PM Modi’s visit to Thailand, Misri stated “There were talks on Sheikh Hasina’s extradition. Can’t say more on that.”
Further, Misri said that PM Modi has expressed India’s concerns over the safety and security of minorities, including Hindus in Bangladesh during his meeting.
“PM Modi reiterated India’s support for democratic, stable, peaceful, progressive and inclusive Bangladesh. He underlined India’s desire to forge a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh. The PM also urged that any rhetoric that vitiates the environment is best avoided,” foreign secretary Vikram Misri said.
Misri further said that the situation of minorities, including that of Hindu minorities were raised by India.
“The PM also urged that any rhetoric that vitiates the environment is best avoided. On the border, strict enforcement of the law and prevention of illegal border crossing are necessary to maintain border security and security. The PM also underlines India’s concerns over the safety and security of minorities, including Hindus in Bangladesh,” he added.
PM Modi is in Bangkok for the 6th BIMSTEC Summit.
In a post on X, he said, “With fellow BIMSTEC leaders at the Summit being held in Bangkok, Thailand. We reaffirm our commitment to boosting cooperation across diverse sectors. May our efforts bring a positive difference in people’s lives.”
The 6th BIMSTEC Summit marks a significant regional engagement between India and its neighbouring countries in the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) group.

The Bayelsa State High Court, sitting in Yenagoa, has issued an order restraining associates of Nyesom Wike, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), from holding a planned mega rally in the state.
Ekwutosblog reports that the proposed rally was scheduled for April 12, 2025, in Yenagoa, the Bayelsa State capital.
Hon. Justice I.A. Uzakah, on Thursday, granted the Motion Ex-Parte in Suit No. BYHC/YHC/CV/133/2025, filed by the State’s Attorney General, Biriyai Dambo, SAN.
Lead convener of the NEW Associates, organizers of the rally, Mr. George Turnah, and the FCT Minister, Wike, were listed as the first and second defendants/respondents in the suit.
The other defendants were the Nigeria Police Force, the Inspector-General of Police, and the Commissioner of Police, Bayelsa State Police Command.
The matter was, thereafter, adjourned to April 11, 2025, for hearing.
Politics
Supreme Court voids verdict recognising Abure as LP’s National Chairman

Published
3 hours agoon
April 4, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
By Ikechukwu Nnochiri
ABUJA– The Supreme Court, on Friday, nullified the judgement that recognised Mr. Julius Abure as the National Chairman of the Labour Party, LP.
In a unanimous decision, a five-man panel of the apex court vacated the January 17 judgement of Court of Appeal in Abuja, which validated Abure’s continued stay in office as National Chairman of the party.
According to the Supreme Court, the appellate court lacked the jurisdiction to enter any pronouncement in favour of Abure since it had earlier found that the subject matter of the dispute bordered on the leadership of a political party.
It held that the substance of the case centered on the domestic affair of a political party which no court has the powers to meddle into.
Consequently, the Supreme Court allowed an appeal that was filed by a former Minister of Finance, Senator Esther Nenadi Usman and Hon. Darlington Nwokocha, who are the Chairman and Secretary, respectively, of a Caretaker Committee that was earlier appointed to pilot the affairs of the party.
It will be recalled that following a leadership crisis that rocked the LP, the National Executive Committee, NEC, of the party resolved to remove Abure as the National Chairman.
To fill the leadership vacuum, the party constituted a 29-member caretaker committee, with the former Finance Minister, Senator Usman as Chairman and Hon. Nwokocha as Secretary.
The decision was the outcome of an expanded stakeholders’ meeting of the party that was hosted in Umuahia by governor Alex Otti of Abia State.
The meeting where Abure was sacked from office was chaired by his former ally and candidate of the party in the 2023 presidential election, Mr. Peter Obi.
Dissatisfied with the decision, Abure approached the Federal High Court in Abuja to validate his position as the National Chairman of the party.
In an affidavit he personally deposed to in support of the suit marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/1271/2024, Abure told the court that following the death of the National Chairman of the LP, he was lawfully elected as the Acting National Chairman of the party at a National Executive Council, NEC, meeting of the party that held in Benin City, Edo State, on March 29, 2021.
He told the court that on April 18, 2023, at the NEC meeting of the party held in Asaba, Delta State and duly monitored by INEC, it was resolved that tenures of State Chairmen whose tenures had expired, be renewed.
He said it was at the same meeting that some members that were engaged in anti-party activities were expelled and replacements for vacant positions created as a result of the expulsion, done.
Abure averred that in line with a consensus that was reached at the meeting, the party subsequently held its National Convention on March 27, 2024, at Nnewi, Anambra State, where we was lawfully elected to the office of National Chairman of the LP.
He said the party under his leadership produced candidates for governorship elections in both Edo and Ondo states.
According to the plaintiff, on June 28, 2024, the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, issued to him and 18 other National Chairmen of political parties, a Notice for Inspection of Sensitive Election Materials for the Ondo and Edo state governorship polls.
However, he decried that a later notice that INEC gave for political parties to nominate two persons from their IT Unit to undertake a training on how to upload data unto INEC’s portal for the purpose of the impending Ondo state gubernatorial election, was not served on him.
Abure told the court that he became aware of the existence of the said notice of the training by INEC, on August 21, 2024, due to the fact that he is a member of the Inter-Party Advisory Committee, IPAC.
Therefore, he prayed the court to intervene by compelling INEC to acord him recognition as the National Chairman of the LP.
Delivering judgement in the matter on October 8, 2024, trial Justice Emeka Nwite held that he found merit in the case of the plaintiff.
He ordered INEC grant the LP under Abure’s leadership, all the rights and privileges accorded a political party duly registered in the country.
The court further directed INEC to perform its lawful duty by conducting a refresher training for the upload of LP’s agents into the INEC portal and to issue the plaintiff (Abure) the Access Code required to access INEC’s portal for the Ondo Governorship Election that held on November 16, 2024.
“I am of the view that and so hold that on the basis of these cogent verifiable documents, the defendants attempt to impeach the validity of the leadership of the plaintiff fails.
“The plaintiff has proved his case.
“I hereby make an order compelling the defendant to accord the plaintiff’s political party under the leadership of Barrister Julius Abure all the rights and privileges accorded a political party duly registered in Nigeria,” Justice Nwite held.
Though the high court’s judgement was affirmed by the appellate court, it was however set-aside by the Supreme Court on Friday.

Tourists lament cancellation of 2025 Eid-el-Fitr Durbar in Kano

Dangote refinery, NNPC: More fuel stations increase pump price in Nigeria

Sheikh Hasina’s extradition discussed during PM Modi, Muhammad Yunus’s meeting: Foreign secy Vikram Misri
Trending
- Trending5 months ago
NYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
- Business5 months ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
- Politics5 months ago
Mexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
- Politics5 months ago
Russia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
- Politics5 months ago
Putin invites 20 world leaders
- Politics1 year ago
Nigerian Senate passes Bill seeking the establishment of the South East Development Commission.