Connect with us

Politics

Donald Trump’s policies could add twice as much to US debt as Kamala Harris’: study

Published

on

Spread the love

China-targeted tariffs by former American president would lead to significant revenue loss plus ‘economic and geopolitical repercussions’

Former US president Donald Trump‘s tariff plans, including additional duties on Chinese imports, could offset US$2.7 trillion of American debt in the next decade but could also trigger revenue loss with “geopolitical repercussions”, a study has found.

Trump’s fiscal proposals could add twice as much to the national debt compared to plans under US Vice-President Kamala Harris, according to a report by the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, a Washington-based non-profit group, on Monday.

Policies under the Republican standard-bearer, who has proposed further tax cuts for corporations and replacing individual income tax with tariffs, could add to the US budget deficit by up to US$15.15 trillion compared to US$8.1 trillion under his Democratic opponent’s plans, the non-partisan group said.

Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team.

Trump has long advocated the idea of imposing high tariffs on US imports, arguing they could create jobs domestically and shrink the federal deficit.

Since launching his 2024 bid for the White House, the former president has proposed a 10 or 20 per cent universal tariff on all imports as well as 60 per cent duties on Chinese goods.

A 10 per cent universal tariff could raise US$2.5 trillion for the American economy, the report found, or up to US$4.30 trillion if Trump goes with a 20 per cent tariff. But either amount would fall far short of making up the costs of his other fiscal policies.

In addition, his tariff plans could lead to significant revenue loss, plus “economic and geopolitical repercussions”, especially with additional duties imposed on Chinese goods.

Trump during his first term as president took aim at Beijing with tariffs on more than US$300 billion worth of mainland imports, most of which remain in effect.

On the campaign trail for the November election, he has vowed to double down with more tariffs if re-elected, accusing the world’s second-biggest economy of being responsible for a large trade deficit with the US while “stealing” American jobs.

One of Trump’s prime targets is electric vehicles, having described them as a “green new scam”. At a rally in Wisconsin on Sunday, he threatened to impose tariffs as high as 200 per cent on Chinese EVs imported from Mexico.

EVs made on the mainland already face 100 per cent tariffs under US President Joe Biden, who said the product has undercut America’s manufacturing industry.

The Biden administration has also promoted a narrative of Chinese manufacturing being at “overcapacity”, urging American allies to address the challenge too.

Last week, the European Union voted in favour of additional tariffs of up to 35 per cent on Chinese EVs from November after initial negotiations with China fell through. The two agreed to continue talks, with the latest one scheduled on Monday, according to China’s commerce ministry.

Beijing has slammed the moves by Western nations as “indiscriminate” and “unfair”, saying they disrupt global supply chains. It has retaliated by imposing export controls on critical mineralsthat are essential for making EVs.

The report’s findings follow similar research that has warned of negative impacts on the US economy should Trump’s proposed tariffs on China come to fruition.

In September, the Tax Foundation, a Washington-based think tank, estimated the 10 per cent universal tariff and 60 per cent Chinese import tariff would reduce US GDP by roughly 0.8 per cent.

Meanwhile, a report last month by the Peterson Institute for International Economics, another Washington-based think tank, asserted that Trump’s tariff measures would result in weaker economic growth, higher inflation and job losses.

If China opted to retaliate, it added, US GDP would fall by more than 0.2 per cent below the baseline by 2026 and inflation would rise by 0.6 percentage points in 2025.

More Articles from SCMP

Spirit of Hong Kong Awards: meet the company saving the planet one lunchbox at a time

Hong Kong developers to make nearly 18,000 new flats available to homebuyers

Philippines moves to define sea routes, strengthening sovereignty against China

Manchester City triumph, wild scenes in US, what happened overnight in the world of sport

Politics

Ugwanyi, Ikpeazu, Shehu Sani, others screened for ambassadorial appointments

Published

on

Spread the love

A reliable source disclosed to Ekwutosblog that two former south-eastern governors, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi and Okezie Ikpeazu, have been screened for the role.

The source added that Shehu Sani, who recently joined the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) and former presidential aide Reno Omokri, are among the nominees who have also been screened.

The source also confirmed that former Deputy Governor of Lagos State, Femi Pedro and former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode, have already gone through the screening process and have been cleared for their prospective national assignments.

It would be recalled that in September 2023, President Bola Tinubu recalled all Nigerian ambassadors, both career and non-career.

Continue Reading

Politics

Trump tariffs: 50 nations seek new US trade talks — official

Published

on

Some Trump officials are claiming that the tariffs are intended to get other world leaders to contact the president on potential new trade deals © Alex Brandon/AP/picture alliance
Spread the love

A senior advisor to US President Donald Trump said dozens of countries have contacted the White House seeking to renegotiate new US tariffs. Chip-making Taiwan says it wants to cut tariffs to zero.

Trump adviser: White House inundated with calls seeking fresh trade talks EU ready with “proportionate countermeasures,” says von der Leyen Netanyahu will urge Trump to cut tariffs on Israel during talks next week Chip leader Taiwan says it will seek zero-tariff deal with US

Here are the latest developments following the new round of Trump tariffs on Sunday, April 6:

EU’s von der Leyen warns bloc will ‘defend its interests’

European Union chief Ursula Von der Leyen said the bloc is prepared to “defend its interests with proportionate countermeasures” against Trump’s tariffs and will work with partners towards this end.

Von der Leyen, the President of the European Commission, the EU’s executive arm, issued a statement following a call with UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer, whose country has been hit by 10% tariffs.

The president also reaffirmed the EU’s “commitment to engaging in negotiations with the US.”

The Commission, which also coordinates the bloc’s trade policy, is due to propose to EU states on Monday a list of US products, worth $28 billion (€25.6 billion), to hit with extra duties.

The imports targeted include US meat, cereals, wine, wood and clothing, among other goods.

Those retaliatory measures are in response to Trump’s steel and aluminum tariffs rather than the broader reciprocal levies announced last week.

The 27-nation EU faces 25% tariffs on steel, aluminum and car exports and “reciprocal” tariffs of 20% from Wednesday for almost all other goods.

The new US tariffs will cover more than two-thirds of EU exports to the US.

On Monday, Luxembourg will host the first meeting of EU trade ministers since Trump’s sweeping tariffs were announced, where ministers are expected to push for a unified response.

Trump adviser: More than 50 countries want to renegotiate trade

Dozens of countries have so far reached out to renegotiate tariffs with the United States, a senior economic advisor to US President Donald Trump said.

National Economic Council Director Kevin Hassett told ABC News that Trump’s tariffs had so far driven “more than 50” countries to contact the White House to begin trade talks.

Hassett also denied that Trump hoped the new tariffs would crash financial markets to pressure the Federal Reserve to cut interest rates.

He insisted there would be no “political coercion” of the US central bank.

In a Truth Social post on Friday, Trump shared a video that suggested his tariffs aimed to hammer the stock market on purpose in a bid to force lower interest rates.

US stocks tumbled by around 10% on Thursday and Friday, after Trump announced a new global tariff regime that was more aggressive than investors had been anticipating.

Welcome to our coverage

Thank you for joining us as we bring you the latest developments on US President Donald Trump’s sweeping tariff plan, that has sent shockwaves around the world.

As nations digest the impact of the punitive new levies, several leaders have spoken about the desire to cut their own tariffs on imports from the US.

Investors, meanwhile, are nervously awaiting the opening of financial markets on Monday, after large falls in stock prices late last week, following the announcement.

Continue Reading

Politics

Peter Obi Is weak and Spineless , That’s why he couldn’t field any candidate for the November Anambra Election – Noble Eyisi (Former Unizik President

Published

on

Spread the love

Peter Obi Is weak and Spineless , That’s why he couldn’t field any candidate for the November Anambra Election – Noble Eyisi (Former Unizik President)..

He Posted this on his X account 👇:

This shouldn’t surprise anyone that knows Peter. ‘A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything’.

The upcoming November election should be a walk in the park for Obi if he decides to put a candidate forward but because he’s weak, he won’t. He wants to reap all the rewards but shun the hardwork.

Come 2027, the spineless man will talk about a ‘structure of criminality’; whereas he refused to take up the opportunity to build his own structure and define it the way he wants it to be.

 

Continue Reading

Trending