Connect with us

Politics

Mexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections

Published

on

The future Until November 5, relations between Mexico and the United States are waiting to find out what person will define its future: Kamala Harris or Donald Trump? Whoever it is, it will begin a new chapter of cooperation between leaders and governments to work for a strong and united continent.
Spread the love
Good neighbors?

The US election is just around the corner, and relations between Mexico and the United States could be affected depending on who gets elected in November. CNN highlights three key issues impacting ties between both countries.

Security
Security is the first thing that stands out. Mexico is a crucial ally of the United States when it comes to fighting drug trafficking and cartels. The relationship was affected after the arrest of the alleged drug kingpin Ismael Zambada by US authorities in July.

The Mexican government speaks out
The operation, which also led to the arrest of Joaquín Guzmán López, son of Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán, was criticized by the Mexican government, which was not involved in the sting. “The United States government has to give a complete report, it is not just general statements, there must be information, there must be transparency,” said then-President Andrés Manuel López Obrador, according to El Observador.

 

A critical moment
Diplomatic relations were already strained before the cartel lord’s arrest. López Obrador had already criticized the DEA after an investigation claimed that his 2006 presidential campaign received money from drug trafficking. CNN highlights that he denied the accusations and said these were not compatible with bilateral cooperation on migration and fighting the drug trade.

 

Migration
Migration is another hot topic. Day after day, at his rallies, former President Donald Trump spoke against illegal immigrants in the United States. It has become a central issue for his campaign, and one very important for his rival, Vice President Kamala Harris.

 

‘El Carrusel’
CNN says Mexico has been key in decreasing detentions at the US border. After reaching historic highs in 2023, the Biden and López Obrador administrations reached an informal agreement that resulted in the “El Carrusel” program.

Stopping migrants
As explained by the Spanish newspaper ABC, the program stops migrants on their way to the United States and returns them to Central America. The intention is to discourage these people from reaching the US border after several failed attempts.

Fewer visas, more economic incentives
Another measure adopted by Mexico was tightening visa requirements. The country now also offers economic incentives for migrants, such as Venezuelans, to return to their countries of origin. With this, crossings fell to the lowest levels since 2020. As ABC reports, in September there were 54,000 migrant arrests at the border.

 

Economy
Finally, there is the money issue. The United States is Mexico’s largest trading partner. 85% of Mexico’s exports go to its northern neighbor, according to political scientist José Luis Valdés, who spoke to CNN. However, these relations could be redefined regardless of who wins the election, since both Trump and Harris want to review the USMCA, the Mexico-United States-Canada Free Trade Agreement.

 

Mexico and China
Also of concern is that the new Mexican president, Claudia Sheinbaum, has been strengthening ties with China. A Chinese electric car plant opening in Mexico has raised the alarm among politicians from the Democratic Party in the United States.

 

Letter to Sheinbaum
In a letter to Sheinbaum, 20 Democratic members of Congress warned the following: “The fact that Chinese companies, including the automaker BYD, have announced plans for assembly plants in Mexico increase the possibility that these companies will try to avoid tariffs by producing in Mexico.”

 

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

I Will Pay Full Compensation To Families Of 16 Hunters K!lled In Edo State – Governor Okpebholo.

Published

on

Spread the love

 

The Edo State governor, Monday Okpebholo, has assured the families of the 16 hunters killed in Uromi that he will provide full compensation for their loss.

Governor Okpebholo, accompanied by Kano State Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf and other high-ranking dignitaries, paid a condolence visit to Torankawa in Bunkure Local Government Area. During the visit, he further pledged to support the bereaved families with cash and food donations.

Lamenting the killings of the innocent victims, Okpebholo, visibly angry, vowed in the village that the gruesome murders would not go unpunished.

“We will ensure that justice is served on those responsible for this heinous act,” he stated.

Meanwhile, hundreds of family members and supporters took to the streets in a peaceful protest, carrying placards with various inscriptions such as “We demand justice for the killings of our people,” “Hunters are not criminals,” and “We demand the speedy dispensation of justice in this matter.”

Protesters thronged the road leading to Torankawa village, voicing their demands. Many hunters, armed with their hunting weapons, joined the peaceful demonstration.

Similarly, other placards bore inscriptions such as “Killings in the North must stop,” “Northerners are peace-loving citizens,” and “Justice must prevail.”

Some hunters, visibly agitated, chanted war songs, brandishing weapons as the governor’s convoy passed, while local residents kept the situation under control.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

All Soludo Support Group (ASSG) has made a significant donation of N30million to Governor Chukwuma Charles Soludo, demonstrating their confidence in his leadership and commitment to his re-election bid.

Published

on

Spread the love

The All Soludo Support Group (ASSG) has made a significant donation of N30million to Governor Chukwuma Charles Soludo, demonstrating their confidence in his leadership and commitment to his re-election bid.

This donation is specifically intended to cover the cost of the APGA governorship candidate form, and it’s a testament to the governor’s popularity and the group’s enthusiasm for his continued leadership.

According to ekwutosblog, this donation is a significant boost to Soludo’s campaign, reflecting the widespread support he enjoys among his constituents.

Governor Soludo’s administration has been praised for its development initiatives and human-oriented policies, which have transformed Awka into a world-class capital city.

The ASSG’s donation is the latest in a series of endorsements and support for Governor Soludo’s re-election bid.

Continue Reading

Politics

We’re working on new 2025 budget for Rivers – Sole Administrator Ibas

Published

on

Spread the love

The Sole Administrator of Rivers State, Retired Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas, has announced that a 2025 budget is being prepared to enhance healthcare delivery, education, agriculture, and infrastructure.

Speaking on Thursday at the Government House in Port Harcourt, while receiving a delegation of the Rivers State caucus at the National Assembly, Ibas stated that the anticipated budget would also focus on creating more employment opportunities for the people of Rivers State and advancing technological development in critical areas of public life.

The delegation was led by Senator Barinada Mpigi, representing Rivers South-East District.

Other members included Senator Allwell Onyesoh and the Minority Leader of the House of Representatives, Hon. Kingsley Chinda. The rest are honourables Dumnamene Dekor, Solomon Bob, Cyril Godwin Hart, Blessing Amadi, Felix Nwaeke, Kelechi Nwogu, and Victor Obuzor.

The sole administrator emphasised that since assuming office, he has remained committed to restoring law and order in Rivers State, with the support of security agencies.

Ibas reiterated his administration’s commitment to making Rivers State a model of peace among states, with a stable economy and an environment where citizens can pursue their livelihoods without fear or intimidation.

He highlighted the importance of the lawmakers’ support as key representatives of Rivers State in the National Assembly, calling for their assistance in securing the necessary resources and legislative backing to bring his administration’s initiatives to fruition.

He said: “Since the Supreme Court verdict on the state’s budget, we have acted swiftly and decided to put together a new budget that reflects our commitment to healthcare, education, social services, and continued infrastructural development.

“We have worked diligently to ensure that the process is transparent, inclusive, and, most importantly, expedited.

“Our goal is to ensure that we do not lose any more time in making the necessary investments that will improve the lives of citizens.

“The budget, which is being finalised, focuses on creating job opportunities and investing in key sectors such as agriculture, infrastructure, and technology.

“We understand the urgency of this initiative, and we are committed to ensuring that it is implemented without delay.”

According to Ibas, the people of Rivers State have demonstrated resilience in the ongoing efforts to restore peace and uphold the rule of law.

He assured that his administration remains committed to achieving lasting peace in the state.

In his remarks, Senator Mpigi assured that members of the National Assembly caucus would support all efforts aimed at bringing development to the state.

Notable National Assembly members absent at the meeting include the immediate past Deputy Governor, Senator Ipalibo Harry Banigo, and Hon. Boma Goodhead.

Continue Reading

Trending