Connect with us

News

Nigeria Police has invited Mudiaga Ogboru, the national spokesperson of the Niger Delta Congress (NDC), over his calls for protests in Rivers State following the declaration of emergency rule by President Tinubu .

Published

on

Spread the love

The Nigeria Police Force (NPF) has invited Mudiaga Ogboru, the national spokesperson of the Niger Delta Congress (NDC), over his calls for protests in Rivers State following the declaration of emergency rule by President Bola Tinubu.

In a statement dated March 23 and signed by Ogboru, the NDC criticized Tinubu’s decision, describing it as an “indirect and undemocratic rule.” The group urged Rivers residents to stage peaceful protests, demanding the reinstatement of Governor Siminalayi Fubara and the elected state assembly.

“We demand that President Tinubu immediately reverse this decision, reinstate Governor Fubara and the elected assembly, and commit to dialogue over diktat. To this end, we call on our people to take to the streets in a peaceful protest against indirect and undemocratic rule in Rivers State,” the statement read.

Following the release of the statement, the Lagos police command issued a letter summoning Ogboru to appear at the State Intelligence Department (SID) in Ikeja on March 25, 2025, for what it described as a “fact-finding” session.

Speaking with TheCable on Wednesday, Ogboru said he later received another police invitation via phone from the Rivers State police command. He added that he had informed the Lagos police command of his intention to honour the invitation in Rivers instead.

Additionally, Ogboru revealed that Nubari Saatah, the NDC’s national president who resides in Rivers State, had been arrested and detained by operatives of the Rivers police command.

When contacted, Grace Iringe-Koko, the spokesperson for the Rivers police command, denied any arrests related to the NDC’s statement. “We will find out (about Saatah’s arrest) and get back to you,” Iringe-Koko said, adding that Ogboru had yet to honour the police invitation.

On March 18, President Bola Tinubu declared a state of emergency in Rivers State, citing the ongoing political crisis. The decision led to the suspension of Governor Fubara, his deputy Ngozi Odu, and all members of the Rivers State House of Assembly for an initial period of six months.

In their place, Tinubu appointed Ibok-Ete Ibas, a retired vice admiral, as the sole administrator of the state. The emergency rule was swiftly approved by both the Senate and the House of Representatives within 48 hours—a move that has sparked widespread condemnation from political stakeholders and civil society groups.

Business

Dangote refinery, NNPC: More fuel stations increase pump price in Nigeria

Published

on

Spread the love

The price of Premium Motor Spirit, popularly known as fuel, has recorded a significant increase in the past days, which may worsen the economic hardship Nigerians face.

MRS, a filling station partner of Dangote Refinery, kicked off the latest fuel price increase when it adjusted its petrol pump to between N925 and N950 per litre in Lagos and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

Similarly, other fuel marketers such as Empire Energy, Recoil, Juda Oil, Total, Emedab, and others also increased their fuel pump to between N950 and N970 per litre.

On Wednesday, the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited retail outlets also jacked up their fuel price to N950 per litre from N880 in Abuja.

Summarily, Ekwutosblog observed motorists will have to pay N70 more to buy a litre of petrol in the coming days.

The development comes amid the suspension of petrol product sales in Naira by Dangote Refinery. This follows the initiation of the naira-for-crude sale deal between Dangote Refinery and the federal government through NNPCL.

On Wednesday, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu announced a reshuffling of NNPCL.

Meanwhile, local oil prices are increasing in Nigeria, despite the decline in global crude prices. As of the time of this report, United States West Texas Intermediate was at $62.15 per barrel, down from above $65, while Brent crude stood at $65.42 per barrel, down from $72 last week.

Continue Reading

News

Bandits ambush commercial vehicle on Kebbi-Sokoto road, kill passenger

Published

on

Spread the love

A group of armed bandits ambushed a commercial vehicle traveling from Kebbi to Sokoto on Thursday, killing one passenger in a deadly attack along the highway.

The incident, which occurred around 11:30 a.m., was revealed in a post by security analyst Zagazola Makama on X on Friday.

According to Makama, the attackers, riding on motorcycles, opened fire on the moving vehicle, hitting one of the passengers, Dan Gande Usman, in the head.

“The armed bandits struck along the Kebbi-Sokoto road, opening fire on a commercial vehicle and killing a passenger,” Makama wrote.

“The victim, Dan Gande Usman, succumbed to his injuries while being rushed to the hospital.”

Following the attack, troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA were deployed to the area to restore order and track down the perpetrators.

Continue Reading

News

Four foreign activists face deportation from Germany after Berlin university sit-in

Published

on

Participants of the group Student Coalition Berlin face police on the campus of the Free University, 7 May, 2024 AP Photo
Spread the love

Berlin’s immigration authorities have ordered four foreign residents to leave the country or risk deportation over their involvement in a university sit-in against Israel’s military offensive in Gaza.

Authorities have claimed the quartet — two from Ireland, one from Poland and one from the US — constitute a threat to public safety and should therefore leave Germany as soon as possible, according to a lawyer representing two of them.

They have been told to leave Germany by 21 April or face deportation.

Criminal and immigration lawyer Alexander Gorski said his clients had ongoing criminal proceedings for minor charges, such as trespassing, insulting police and resisting arrest related to their attendance at multiple pro-Gaza protests.

The four all participated in a pro-Palestinian protest at Berlin’s Free University in October 2024.

Berlin’s Department for Interior and Sport, which has responsibility over immigration, requested that local authorities terminate their residency in the middle of their proceedings.

Gorski said the decision was made despite hesitation from Berlin’s immigration office, which expressed concern that removing EU citizens would not be lawful. The Department for Interior and Sport ultimately overruled those objections.

Gorski said his legal team was unaware of what the activists had been charged with. “We haven’t received the file,” Gorski said.

The Department for Interior and Sport confirmed that it told the activists their residency permits were terminated, linking the decision to the university protest.

Back in October, a “violent and masked” group of people entered the university building, causing “significant property damage” including drawing graffiti related to the Israel-Hamas war as well as other crimes, the department said.

It added that criminal proceedings were currently ongoing and declined to provide further information, citing data protection laws.

A spokesperson for the German Federal Interior Ministry said on Wednesday that it did not have “comprehensive information” on the individual cases, confirming that Berlin authorities are responsible for and ultimately decide on each case.

It is unclear exactly what the four protesters were accused of doing during the protest, which was considered controversial.

The Free University in the immediate aftermath condemned the incident as a “violent attack” in which 40 masked individuals attempted to take over a campus building, “threatening employees verbally, and resorting to physical violence.” The university claimed IT equipment had been destroyed, rooms were wrecked and a Hamas symbol was spray-painted onto a wall.

The university’s general students’ committee said in October that the university had failed to “capture the complexity of events.” The committee alleges that the police presence on-site was “excessive” and that the law enforcement responded violently to the protesters in the broader context of suppressing similar demonstrations.

The Free University did not immediately respond to Euronews’ request for comment.

EU citizens’ deportation ‘highly unusual’

According to The Intercept, which first reported the story, only one of the two Irish nationals was brought before a court for calling a police officer a “fascist,” but was ultimately acquitted.

The four face separate allegations, the outlet reported, including shouting slogans such as “From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free” — a chant that has been banned, but German courts have so far delivered mixed rulings on its use.

The activists have accused Germany of “weaponising migration law” and rejected allegations supporting terrorist organisations and antisemitism as arbitrary.

The four have launched an appeal as well as a measure of interim relief in order to avoid imminent deportation, according to Gorski.

Gorski says it is “highly, highly unusual” that three EU citizens would be threatened with deportation from another member state without any criminal convictions.

Authorities said their decision was based on provisions which allow foreign nationals to be deported if they represent a threat to society.

The Department for Interior and Sport said a criminal conviction is not a prerequisite for deportation, although it would “be taken into account” when assessing the decision.

Freedom of movement within the European Union is a “a fundamental right of EU citizens”, a European Commission spokesperson said on Tuesday in response to a question on the activist’s case.

They declined to comment further on the matter, which the spokesperson said falls under the jurisdiction of internal security, which is for Germany to decide on.

In Ireland, the potential deportation of two Irish citizens has caused a stir, with the country’s Taoiseach Micheál Martin saying the issue was of “fundamental concern in terms of the freedom of movement rights that EU citizens have.”

The incident reflected a “completely different approach” to the Israel-Hamas war between Germany and Ireland, the leader said, adding he would be raising the issue with German authorities.

The Irish Foreign Office confirmed it was aware of reports of two of its citizens and was ready to provide consular assistance.

Euronews has reached out to the Polish and US embassies in Berlin for comment.

Continue Reading

Trending