Connect with us

Business

Some US businesses close in ‘a day without immigrants’ amid protests

Published

on

A closed sign is displayed at a local business in the Little Village neighbourhood of Chicago to stand with immigrants in Chicago, Monday, Feb. 3, 2025. © Nam Y. Huh/Copyright 2025 The AP. All rights reserved.
Spread the love

However, participation in the “day without immigrants” faced headwinds from employees and business owners who said they need the income — especially as rumours of widespread raids, often false, are leaving many migrant communities afraid to venture outside, affecting even some schools. Monday’s event also came on the heels of street protests Sunday in California and elsewhere.

Noel Xavier, organising director for the North Atlantic States Regional Council of Carpenters, said that while it’s important to remind the country of the value migrant workers bring to the communities they toil in, many workers couldn’t afford to take a day off.

“If I don’t go to work today, that’s one day less that I have, you know, to be able to pay for my next rent,” Xavier said of the prevailing sentiment among the workers he organises. “I didn’t see this big rallying around being able to do that, or having the luxury to be able to do that.”

Jaime di Paulo, president of the Illinois Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, noted that small restaurants and retailers in Chicago’s biggest Latino neighborhoods closed, but most major employers as well as those in construction and other industries were operating normally.

“This is only hurting our own community,” he said.

Andrea Toro decided to close her hair salon in Chicago’s Pilsen neighbourhood. She added that many of her clients are teachers and have seen children missing school since Trump took office last month because they fear it may not be safe to go. In Chicago, as in San Diego, school districts said some students and families were participating in Monday’s protest.

“If we don’t have immigrants, we don’t have anything work around here,” said Toro, who is from Puerto Rico. “If we’re mute, we’re in silence, then they’re going to do whatever they want.”

El Burrito Mercado, which boomed from a small Latino market in the 1970s to one of the most widely recognised restaurant, catering and grocery businesses in St. Paul, Minnesota, shut for the whole day in 2017 — when the latest major such event was held at the beginning of the first Trump administration.

But on Monday, it stayed open for a few hours with a skeleton crew, said co-owner Milissa Silva.

Her parents emigrated from Mexico, and most of the 90 employees have Mexican roots. But many staffers expressed concern about losing a work day and about depriving people in the neighborhood of access to groceries.

Similarly, the Spanish-immersion day care provider Tierra Encantada kept its 14 locations open. But many parents decided to keep their children home Monday in solidarity with the mostly first and second-generation immigrant workforce, said CEO Kristen Denzer.

Families — most of them not immigrants — pulled some 450 children from day care and preschool, about 70% of those enrolled in Minnesota alone, where most of the organisation’s centers are, Denzer said. Several staffers who had been on the fence decided to take the day after the show of support.

In Utah, several Latino-owned stores, restaurants and supermarkets closed their doors.

“The movement today, it’s more about being compassionate,” said state Sen. Luz Escamilla, a Democrat and Senate minority leader. “A lot of companies and communities are coming together in the state just to raise awareness of how much this has created a fear.”

Asked about the day of protest at his Monday media availability, Utah Senate President Stuart Adams, a Republican, defended Trump’s immigration policies and said law-abiding immigrants should have nothing to worry about.

“The only people that are being talked about being deported (are) those that are criminals, those that are on probation, those bad people who have committed difficult crimes,” Adams said.

While immigration enforcement officers continue to target for deportation migrants considered public safety and national security threats, a big change from the Biden administration is that officers can now arrest people without legal status if they run across them during operations.

Business

Dangote refinery, NNPC: More fuel stations increase pump price in Nigeria

Published

on

Spread the love

The price of Premium Motor Spirit, popularly known as fuel, has recorded a significant increase in the past days, which may worsen the economic hardship Nigerians face.

MRS, a filling station partner of Dangote Refinery, kicked off the latest fuel price increase when it adjusted its petrol pump to between N925 and N950 per litre in Lagos and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

Similarly, other fuel marketers such as Empire Energy, Recoil, Juda Oil, Total, Emedab, and others also increased their fuel pump to between N950 and N970 per litre.

On Wednesday, the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited retail outlets also jacked up their fuel price to N950 per litre from N880 in Abuja.

Summarily, Ekwutosblog observed motorists will have to pay N70 more to buy a litre of petrol in the coming days.

The development comes amid the suspension of petrol product sales in Naira by Dangote Refinery. This follows the initiation of the naira-for-crude sale deal between Dangote Refinery and the federal government through NNPCL.

On Wednesday, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu announced a reshuffling of NNPCL.

Meanwhile, local oil prices are increasing in Nigeria, despite the decline in global crude prices. As of the time of this report, United States West Texas Intermediate was at $62.15 per barrel, down from above $65, while Brent crude stood at $65.42 per barrel, down from $72 last week.

Continue Reading

Business

Global Billionaires’ Net Worth Plummets by $65 Billion Amid Market Downturn

Published

on

Elon musk, Jeff Bezos, Larry Elison
Spread the love

 

In a significant setback, the world’s wealthiest individuals collectively lost over $65 billion in net worth today, as key market sectors experienced a sharp downturn.

This decline affected prominent figures in technology, finance, and other industries, sending shockwaves through financial markets.

Ekwutosblog reports that the downturn occurs amidst cautious optimism that new US policies may not be as severe as initially feared.

However, the immediate impact has already been felt, leading to a decline in the net worth of billionaires such as Elon Musk, Warren Buffett, and Jeff Bezos, amongst others  who have significant stakes in tech, finance, and other industries.

The global billionaire population has been growing, with over 2,850 individuals representing almost $15 trillion in wealth.


Despite this growth, the market downturn serves as a reminder of the volatility and risks associated with wealth concentration.

Continue Reading

Business

Sterling Bank Makes History: Scraps Transfer Fees for Local Online Transactions, Earns Praise from Lawmakers, Including Mohammed Bello El-Rufai, and the Public

Published

on

Spread the love

Sterling Bank has taken a groundbreaking step to ease the financial burden on Nigerians by eliminating transfer fees and other charges for local online transactions.

This move is a significant stride towards financial inclusion and customer-centric banking, particularly during a time when economic pressures are high.

Ekwutosblog gathered that this initiative has been commended by Mohammed Bello El-Rufai, Chairman of the House Committee on Banking Regulations, who praised Sterling Bank’s commitment to creating a more accessible and equitable banking system.

El-Rufai encouraged other financial institutions to follow Sterling Bank’s example, emphasizing that a competitive banking sector prioritizing Nigerians’ interests will strengthen the economy and rebuild public trust in financial services.

Sterling Bank’s decision to scrap transfer fees is expected to benefit individuals and small business owners who frequently make online transactions. The bank’s customers can now perform local transfers via the mobile app without incurring any charges. Obinna Ukachukwu, Growth Executive at Sterling Bank, stated that access to one’s own money shouldn’t come with a penalty, highlighting the bank’s values-driven approach to customer-centric banking.

This move has sparked widespread public approval, with many calling on other banks to adopt similar policies.

As policymakers, El-Rufai reiterated their commitment to fostering a regulatory environment that encourages pro-customer initiatives while ensuring sustainability within the banking sector.

Continue Reading

Trending