Connect with us

Politics

The telling sign Trump is walking back his public feud with Canada

Published

on

Spread the love
  • READ MORE: Sign up for DailyMail.com’s daily political email 
  • PODCAST: A deep dive into the war plans group chat scandal, plus Trump hates his new portrait – on Welcome to MAGAland. Listen here.

President Donald Trump offered warm words against Canada‘s new prime minister even as the two sides continue to trade threats after Trump imposed new tariffs on auto imports.

Trump cited a ‘very good conversation’ with Canadian PM Mark Carney, who said Thursday that the ‘old relationship’ with the U.S. ‘is over.’

Trump on Friday morning wrote that the two men held an ‘extremely productive call’ and that ‘we agree on many things.’

That was a turnaround from many of his posts about former PM Justin Trudeau, who Trump frequently mocked as ‘governor’ amid his repeated public statements about making Canada the 51st state.

Trump didn’t even mention absorbing the U.S. northern neighbor when asked about the latest tariff spat Friday afternoon.

‘We had a very, very good talk,’ he said, citing his morning phone call with the prime minister.

‘He’s going through an election now, and we’ll see what happens. But we are  – we have Liberation Day, as you know, on April 2,’ Trump said – using his phrase for the day he will impose ‘reciprocal’ tariffs on nations around the world.

‘And I’m not referring to Canada, but many countries have taken advantage of us, the likes of which nobody even thought was possible for many, many decades, for decades. And you know, that has to stop. We’re going to end up with a very good relationship with Canada and a lot of the other countries,’ Trump said.

‘We’re going to end up with a very good relationship with Canada and a lot of the other countries,’ Trump said, hours after a phone call with the new Canadian PM. He issued an order to slap a 25% tariff on auto imports Wednesday

 

Those comments appeared to carve out Canada from taking ‘advantage’ of the U.S. That, too, is a change from previous rhetoric. Last week, Trump said: ‘Here’s my problem with Canada … Canada was meant to be the 51st state … We don’t need their cars. We don’t need their lumber … We don’t need their energy. We don’t need anything.’

Trump on Thursday slapped 25 percent tariffs on car and light truck imports. That prompted statements from Carney to hit back with trade actions. Trump said the tariffs won’t go into effect until April 2, in theory providing an opportunity to roll them back.

Speaking on a trip to Greenland, a territory that Trump said the U.S. must have, Vice President J.D. Vance was asked about how Americans should respond amid the anticipated spike in auto prices. ‘We have to have it,’ Trump said.

Vance, a former Ohio senator, used the same language Trump used when he berated Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky in the Oval Office.

‘They just don’t have the cards,’ Vance said.

‘That means we’re going to fight back even against some of our friends and their unfair economic practices,’ he said.

Separating auto ‘imports’ from domestic vehicles is challenging, with parts going in both directions across the borders between the U.S., Canada, and Mexico in a continental supply chain.

The U.S. automakers lobbied against the tariffs and secured a one-month pause from Trump before his announcement this week.

‘The Prime Minister informed the President that his government will implement retaliatory tariffs to protect Canadian workers and our economy, following the announcement of additional U.S. trade actions on April 2, 2025,’ Carney’s office said in a statement.

Carney’s Liberal Party has seen its fortunes improve amid the trade clashes with Trump. Canadian hockey fans have even booed during the National Anthem during hockey games.

Read more

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

All Soludo Support Group (ASSG) has made a significant donation of N30million to Governor Chukwuma Charles Soludo, demonstrating their confidence in his leadership and commitment to his re-election bid.

Published

on

Spread the love

The All Soludo Support Group (ASSG) has made a significant donation of N30million to Governor Chukwuma Charles Soludo, demonstrating their confidence in his leadership and commitment to his re-election bid.

This donation is specifically intended to cover the cost of the APGA governorship candidate form, and it’s a testament to the governor’s popularity and the group’s enthusiasm for his continued leadership.

According to ekwutosblog, this donation is a significant boost to Soludo’s campaign, reflecting the widespread support he enjoys among his constituents.

Governor Soludo’s administration has been praised for its development initiatives and human-oriented policies, which have transformed Awka into a world-class capital city.

The ASSG’s donation is the latest in a series of endorsements and support for Governor Soludo’s re-election bid.

Continue Reading

Politics

We’re working on new 2025 budget for Rivers – Sole Administrator Ibas

Published

on

Spread the love

The Sole Administrator of Rivers State, Retired Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas, has announced that a 2025 budget is being prepared to enhance healthcare delivery, education, agriculture, and infrastructure.

Speaking on Thursday at the Government House in Port Harcourt, while receiving a delegation of the Rivers State caucus at the National Assembly, Ibas stated that the anticipated budget would also focus on creating more employment opportunities for the people of Rivers State and advancing technological development in critical areas of public life.

The delegation was led by Senator Barinada Mpigi, representing Rivers South-East District.

Other members included Senator Allwell Onyesoh and the Minority Leader of the House of Representatives, Hon. Kingsley Chinda. The rest are honourables Dumnamene Dekor, Solomon Bob, Cyril Godwin Hart, Blessing Amadi, Felix Nwaeke, Kelechi Nwogu, and Victor Obuzor.

The sole administrator emphasised that since assuming office, he has remained committed to restoring law and order in Rivers State, with the support of security agencies.

Ibas reiterated his administration’s commitment to making Rivers State a model of peace among states, with a stable economy and an environment where citizens can pursue their livelihoods without fear or intimidation.

He highlighted the importance of the lawmakers’ support as key representatives of Rivers State in the National Assembly, calling for their assistance in securing the necessary resources and legislative backing to bring his administration’s initiatives to fruition.

He said: “Since the Supreme Court verdict on the state’s budget, we have acted swiftly and decided to put together a new budget that reflects our commitment to healthcare, education, social services, and continued infrastructural development.

“We have worked diligently to ensure that the process is transparent, inclusive, and, most importantly, expedited.

“Our goal is to ensure that we do not lose any more time in making the necessary investments that will improve the lives of citizens.

“The budget, which is being finalised, focuses on creating job opportunities and investing in key sectors such as agriculture, infrastructure, and technology.

“We understand the urgency of this initiative, and we are committed to ensuring that it is implemented without delay.”

According to Ibas, the people of Rivers State have demonstrated resilience in the ongoing efforts to restore peace and uphold the rule of law.

He assured that his administration remains committed to achieving lasting peace in the state.

In his remarks, Senator Mpigi assured that members of the National Assembly caucus would support all efforts aimed at bringing development to the state.

Notable National Assembly members absent at the meeting include the immediate past Deputy Governor, Senator Ipalibo Harry Banigo, and Hon. Boma Goodhead.

Continue Reading

Politics

I will not only win, I will win with an overwhelming victory because I have been tested and trusted, people have seen my trajectory, they know my past, they know where I am coming from and they know why I am in politics —– Valentine Chinedu Obigbo

Published

on

Spread the love

 

During a meeting with the APC Leaders in Anambra central, the Anambra governor aspirant for APC affirmative stated that he is going to win the Election Anambra state with an overwhelming victory.

He also mentioned that with him, Anambra State must return to its glory as light of the nation, going by his slogan “Ka Anambra Chawapu”.

He promised to make God proud and use Anambra state to set standards as what good governance ought to be when he assumes the position as Governor of Anambra.

 

Continue Reading

Trending