Politics
US hurricanes followed by Republican storm of misinformation about relief efforts

Published
6 months agoon
By
Ekwutos BlogRepublican presidential nominee Donald Trump and supporters spread falsehoods about federal response and Democratic nominee Kamala Harris
Incessant rains and flooding battered Florida on Thursday after Hurricane Milton made landfall in the US as a Category 3 storm, leaving at least four dead and more than three million homes and businesses without power – two weeks after Hurricane Helene claimed more than 220 lives across six states, including Florida, North Carolina and Georgia.
Typically, US disaster relief is a bipartisan effort. But the back-to-back hurricanes have collided with this overheated election season, and Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump and his Make America Great Again allies have relentlessly criticised the federal response, propagating bizarre claims and unfounded conspiracy theories.
Trump has sought to leverage the grim situation to intensify his anti-immigration rhetoric while also labelling US President Joe Biden and Vice-President Kamala Harris – his Democratic rival for the White House – as “very irresponsive” to the crisis.
Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team.
“They have no money. You know where they gave the money? To illegal immigrants coming in,” Trump repeated during a rally in Pennsylvania on Wednesday, implying that the administration was spending disaster relief funds of the Federal Emergency Management Agency on immigrants.
The misinformation was so pervasive that Biden condemned Trump on Wednesday for his “reckless, irresponsible, relentless promotion of disinformation and outright lies that are disturbing people”.
“It’s ridiculous, and it’s got to stop,” Biden warned.
But it’s not just Trump. US Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene, a Republican from Georgia known for spreading conspiracy theories, last week told her 1.2 million followers on X that the government “can control the weather”.
“It’s ridiculous for anyone to lie and say it can’t be done,” Greene, a staunch Trump supporter, added.
Even Republican officials in the affected areas have pushed back against the misinformation.
On September 30, Trump visited the swing state of Georgia, claiming that Brian Kemp, its Republican governor, had not been able to reach a “sleeping” Biden.
Kemp dismissed the allegation, saying he had spoken with the president the previous day and that Biden had offered whatever assistance Georgia might need.
And Greene was corrected by a colleague, US Representative Carlos Gimenez, a Republican from Florida, who said on Wednesday that she should get her “head examined”.
“Humans cannot create or control hurricanes,” Gimenez posted on X, as Hurricane Milton approached his state.

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump with Georgia Governor Brian Kemp at a temporary relief shelter in Evans, Georgia, on October 4. Photo: AP
Several US media organisations fact-checked Trump’s allegations, finding no truth to them and noting that, in fact, it was the former president who tried to use Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) disaster funds in 2019 to pay for immigration programmes – in his case, detaining and transporting undocumented immigrants on the southern border.
According to CoreLogic, a data analysis consultancy, Hurricane Helene resulted in an estimated total loss of US$30.5 billion to US$47.5 billion; the losses from Hurricane Milton are still being assessed.
The disinformation has become so widespread that FEMA set up a response page on its website to debunk the lies, stating, for example, that it has “enough money right now for immediate response and recovery needs”.
No matter. In Michigan last week, Trump accused the Democrats of “stealing” money for “their illegal immigrants who they want to have vote for them”.
The billionaire Elon Musk, who is backing Trump and has campaigned with him, has used his social media platform X to amplify the disinformation.
“And FEMA used up its budget ferrying illegals into the country instead of saving American lives. Treason,” he wrote on his account, which has 201 million followers, without providing any evidence.
He also shared a post that claimed FEMA was blocking victims of Helene from receiving payments in Republican areas.
Harris has countered Trump’s claims, positioning herself as a reliable leader in a crisis, in contrast to his tumultuous approach.
“There’s a lot of mis- and disinformation being pushed out there by the former president about what is available, in particular, to the survivors of Helene,” Harris said. on Monday, condemning Trump as “extraordinarily irresponsible”.
Over the past week, Harris has met with disaster victims, attended high-level briefings and connected with local officials in the affected areas.
However, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, a Republican who endorsed Trump following his brief presidential campaign earlier this year, said he had declined to take Harris’ calls.
“I’ve had storms under both President Trump and President Biden, and I’ve worked well with both of them,” he said, adding “she’s the first one who’s trying to politicise the storm, and she’s doing that just because of her campaign”.
The Harris campaign has also used the opportunity to highlight Trump’s climate denial, mocking him for calling climate change “one of the great scams of all time” in the aftermath of Hurricane Helene.

A woman walks past a large oak tree that fell at her apartment complex in Sanford, Florida, due to Hurricane Milton. Photo: AP
Trump has often called climate change a “hoax” and favoured ramping up oil and gas production.
In 2017, he pulled the US out of the Paris climate agreement, reached by over 200 countries two decades earlier to set targets to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Biden rejoined the accord in 2021.
Project 2025, a 900-page policy paper assembled by the conservative Heritage Foundation to guide the next Republican administration, proposes radical changes to federal disaster preparedness agencies.
The document contends that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which oversees the government’s weather and research operations, should be “broken up and downsized” – claiming that the agency “is harmful to US prosperity” because it has “become one of the main drivers of the climate change alarm industry”.
It also seeks to overhaul FEMA, shifting the majority of emergency responsibilities to state and local governments.

Democratic presidential nominee Kamala Harris (centre) walks with members of the US Armed Forces and North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper (left) after being briefed on Hurricane Helene recovery operations at the Charlotte Air National Guard Base on Saturday. Photo: Getty Images via AFP
Harris, who does not dispute the reality of climate change, released a campaign paper promising to “unite Americans to tackle the climate crisis”.
Other than disrupting voting preparations in the southern states of Georgia, North Carolina and Florida, the effect that the two natural disasters may have on the election, now four weeks away, is not clear.
A Gallup survey published on Wednesday found that just 21 per cent of voters identified climate change as a top priority, while immigration was among the top five issues cited as “extremely important” by 41 per cent of the respondents.
More Articles from SCMP
China’s stimulus measures just first step on economic reform journey
China moves to elevate and protect its private sector with new draft law
2 undercover Hong Kong security guards fired after Mannings shopper manhandled
‘Milestone’ for China’s gas turbine technology as it closes gap with the West
This article originally appeared on the South China Morning Post (www.scmp.com), the leading news media reporting on China and Asia.
You may like
South Korea’s President Yoon Suk-yeol impeached over martial law order
APC denies Tinubu-Shettima rift amid North Central’s push for 2027 vice presidency
I Will Pay Full Compensation To Families Of 16 Hunters K!lled In Edo State – Governor Okpebholo.
Genevieve Nnaji Claps Back at Trolls with Witty Retorts
Abia CP warns against charging of cases to court without thorough investigation
JAMB Opens Portal for Printing 2025 Mock UTME Slips
Politics
APC denies Tinubu-Shettima rift amid North Central’s push for 2027 vice presidency

Published
4 hours agoon
April 4, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
The ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) has dismissed speculations of a rift between President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima, rejecting claims that Tinubu is considering a new running mate for the 2027 elections.
Despite Tinubu not officially announcing a re-election bid, party loyalists and key stakeholders have reportedly begun mobilizing support for a potential second term. However, recent rumors suggesting discord between Tinubu and Shettima have been described as unfounded by party officials.
Alhaji Bala Ibrahim, APC’s National Director of Publicity, refuted the reports, describing them as “beer-parlour discussions” without any credible basis.
“This is pure speculation without foundation. These are beer-parlour discussions that should not be taken seriously,” Ibrahim said.
He added that even if the president were to consider replacing the vice president, such a decision would require extensive consultations with critical stakeholders, not unilateral action.
Meanwhile, political stakeholders from Nigeria’s North Central geopolitical zone have renewed their demand for either the presidency or vice presidency in the 2027 elections.
At a press conference held in Abuja, leaders from Plateau, Nasarawa, Benue, Niger, Kogi, and Kwara states, led by Prof. Nghargbu K’tso, urged major political parties to consider zoning their presidential or vice-presidential tickets to the region.
In a communiqué issued after the meeting, the stakeholders argued that if APC grants Tinubu the “right of first refusal” for the presidential ticket, the vice-presidential slot should be allocated to the North Central.
Prof. K’tso, flanked by other regional leaders, emphasized that the region has been sidelined since Nigeria’s return to democracy in 1999, having never produced a democratically elected president or vice president.
“Of Nigeria’s six geopolitical zones, only North Central and South East have not occupied the positions of president or vice president in the past 26 years of the Fourth Republic,” he said.
He noted that the North Central’s case is worse than that of the South East, which at least produced Dr. Alex Ekwueme as vice president from 1979 to 1983.
“This is about fairness. We want to be recognized not as mere political adjuncts but as full stakeholders in the ‘One North’ project,” K’tso stated.
However, the APC has dismissed the North Central’s demand, describing it as unrealistic and premature.
Reacting to the calls, Alhaji Bala Ibrahim said the demand was “dead on arrival,” arguing that the region’s electoral contribution is relatively low compared to other zones like the North West.
“The North Central should not see the presidency or vice presidency as a right, especially given its relatively lower electoral contribution compared to zones like the North West. They have made similar demands in the past, but these are often irrational and only serve to create unnecessary political tension,” Ibrahim revealed.
He further noted that zoning discussions should not arise while President Tinubu is still serving his first term.
“The current occupant of the presidency must be given the chance to serve two terms. Conversations about zoning should only happen after that,” he emphasized.
Politics
I Will Pay Full Compensation To Families Of 16 Hunters K!lled In Edo State – Governor Okpebholo.

Published
4 hours agoon
April 4, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
The Edo State governor, Monday Okpebholo, has assured the families of the 16 hunters killed in Uromi that he will provide full compensation for their loss.
Governor Okpebholo, accompanied by Kano State Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf and other high-ranking dignitaries, paid a condolence visit to Torankawa in Bunkure Local Government Area. During the visit, he further pledged to support the bereaved families with cash and food donations.
Lamenting the killings of the innocent victims, Okpebholo, visibly angry, vowed in the village that the gruesome murders would not go unpunished.
“We will ensure that justice is served on those responsible for this heinous act,” he stated.
Meanwhile, hundreds of family members and supporters took to the streets in a peaceful protest, carrying placards with various inscriptions such as “We demand justice for the killings of our people,” “Hunters are not criminals,” and “We demand the speedy dispensation of justice in this matter.”
Protesters thronged the road leading to Torankawa village, voicing their demands. Many hunters, armed with their hunting weapons, joined the peaceful demonstration.
Similarly, other placards bore inscriptions such as “Killings in the North must stop,” “Northerners are peace-loving citizens,” and “Justice must prevail.”
Some hunters, visibly agitated, chanted war songs, brandishing weapons as the governor’s convoy passed, while local residents kept the situation under control.
Politics
All Soludo Support Group (ASSG) has made a significant donation of N30million to Governor Chukwuma Charles Soludo, demonstrating their confidence in his leadership and commitment to his re-election bid.

Published
12 hours agoon
April 3, 2025By
Ekwutos Blog
The All Soludo Support Group (ASSG) has made a significant donation of N30million to Governor Chukwuma Charles Soludo, demonstrating their confidence in his leadership and commitment to his re-election bid.
This donation is specifically intended to cover the cost of the APGA governorship candidate form, and it’s a testament to the governor’s popularity and the group’s enthusiasm for his continued leadership.
According to ekwutosblog, this donation is a significant boost to Soludo’s campaign, reflecting the widespread support he enjoys among his constituents.
Governor Soludo’s administration has been praised for its development initiatives and human-oriented policies, which have transformed Awka into a world-class capital city.
The ASSG’s donation is the latest in a series of endorsements and support for Governor Soludo’s re-election bid.

South Korea’s President Yoon Suk-yeol impeached over martial law order

APC denies Tinubu-Shettima rift amid North Central’s push for 2027 vice presidency

I Will Pay Full Compensation To Families Of 16 Hunters K!lled In Edo State – Governor Okpebholo.
Trending
- Trending5 months ago
NYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
- Business5 months ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
- Politics5 months ago
Mexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
- Entertainment5 months ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
- Politics5 months ago
Russia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
- Politics5 months ago
Putin invites 20 world leaders
- Politics1 year ago
Nigerian Senate passes Bill seeking the establishment of the South East Development Commission.